1st vs. 2nd press?

GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone know the deal with these records and want to help? Which is 1st. I have not been able to find out on my own yet:(1) Milton Wright ???Friends And Buddies??? there???s two pressings. According to this Japanese web-site: http://www.geocities.jp/tfgroove/croom the one with ???Keep It Up??? not included is the 1st pressing. When I check popsike alot of auctions has said that the one with ???Keep It Up??? is the 1st press. The one with ???Keep It Up??? usually sells for more.2) Sonny Stitt ???Tornado??? has been made with two different covers. Which is the 1st press? The one with his face on or the one with a drawing of a city.3) Serge Gainsbourg ???Histoire de Melody Nelson??? two different issues exist with different record number. Which is 1st?

Comments

• 2) Sonny Stitt ???Tornado??? has been made with two different covers. Which is the 1st press? The one with his face on or the one with a drawing of a city.

I was wondering this myself the other day. They did this with the Eddie Russ too. I believe the brightly colored covers with the drawings on them are the first presses

First

Second

The James Tatum covers mess me up too but I believe the black and white covers are first, they are printed on heavier stock.

First

Second

Now, mind you, I haven't spoke to the owners of either of these record labels, this is just based on what I believe from talking to other record collectors and useless pondering over these questions.

SONIC

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

2) Sonny Stitt ???Tornado??? has been made with two different covers. Which is the 1st press? The one with his face on or the one with a drawing of a city.

I was wondering this myself the other day. They did this with the Eddie Russ too. I believe the brightly colored covers with the drawings on them are the first presses

First

Second

The James Tatum covers mess me up too but I believe the black and white covers are first, they are printed on heavier stock.

First

Second

Now, mind you, I haven't spoke to the owners of either of these record labels, this is just based on what I believe from talking to other record collectors and useless pondering over these questions.

SONIC

B&W Tatum is first press (as learned after acquiring it from YOU!!)
    Broken Egg cover is first press on Eddie Russ
    Whirling Tornado illustration is first press on Sonny Stitt.