1987... Dutch hiphop related

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
MC Miker G and DJ Sven - Holiday Rap

OK, so i was shown this today... words escape me... apparently it was HUGE when it was released here in Holland.Dutch heads, plaese hexplain?

Comments

• ha ha I cannot believe that is on you tube now...

I'm not Dutch but that's all I can tell you

http://www.discogs.com/release/208922

• Dutch heads, plaese hexplain?

Hi

The song is a cash-in on Madonna's "Holiday" (duh) and has some of the worst english rapping to have ever come out of this country

(eg: we're going to London and New York City, and we take a little peace of Amsterdam)

The song was an international(!)smash, selling a few million copies and making the "rappers" globetrotting superstars for 15 minutes. Their follow-up, "christmas rap", bombed, and the two dissapeared out of the public spotlight. A few years later Dj Sven was a succesful plugger for various recordcompanies, while Mc Miker G was strung out on Heroin, even being homeless at some point.

Classic story no?

b/w

Hi A! Hows that scriptie coming?

• Dutch heads, plaese hexplain?

Classic story no?

Yeah I remember reading that story in "van brooklyn naar breukelen" and in the interview with Miker G that dude sounded bitter..If I remember correct he was dissing other Dutch MC's and talking about a comeback..so unnecessary..lol!

Hey NZ you should chek that book out if you would like some background info on the history of Dutch Hip Hop it was a fun read.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    This was an international smash indeed. And please do not forget about the most famous use of this great track in modern history. Ladies and Gentlemen, enjoy:

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Oh man, this was huge and not only in the Netherlands. I remember hearing it in Spain and Italy too.
    I still have doubles of this my collection.. hehe.

DOODOO ON A STICK

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That shit was a huge hit here in '87 too. All over the radio and the discos.
    I with a passion. Can't stand the Madonna song either.

But Mike2600 likes it:

http://www.soulstrut.com/features/ish/304/mike.php

Great German 12"

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i am very ashamed about this.
    thank you for bringin out the best of dutch hiphop historie
    see also yukkie b and the notorious danny de funk toppertje.

btw DJ MURO VS REDNOSE @ Bitterzoet tonight

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    When dutch hiphop doesn't go wrong example #1:

"Classic material"

Aah the memories.
    Used to listen like mad to X-Sample 1, Crazy Cashflow, Scorpio, The Next Chapter, 2 Tuff Enuff, Supersonic cru (Def Rhymes & Dj Git-Hyper) DCO etc etc etc.
    (what's the name of that compilation album with scorpio and the rest of dem cats?)

Now some other real schitt like some of the big dudes on this site say.

TMO - Next Block

Lowlands Represent!!!
    !!!!!!