›

rock soul?!!!?

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
i don't know how to define it but i'm looking for more soul w/ a rock edge to it.i can not get enough of these songs belowjo ann garrett-it's no secretbarrinno brothers-i cant beleive you're goneal wilson-falling (in love with you)jr bailey-everything i want i see in youmarcia griffiths-here i am babyanyone got more?peace,xavier

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I got some ish for you Mr.X

Sorry for not calling you back yesterday homie:)

Much peace and respect:
    Adrian

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i don't know how to define it but i'm looking for more soul w/ a rock edge to it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Chambers Brothers
    Undisputed Truth (only first two albums really)
    The Temptations - Cloud Nine
    Funkadelic

There's that one group on Invictus that people were talking about, forgot the name but I want to find a copy of their stuff.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Chambers Brothers
    The Temptations - Cloud Nine
    Funkadelic

There's that one group on Invictus that people were talking about, forgot the name but I want to find a copy of their stuff.

The Politicians? The Invictus & Hot Wax labels are pretty good for that kind of thing anyway. Ruth Copeland, Flaming Ember, etc.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Humble Gathering

• Undisputed Truth (only first two albums really)

Disagree. Their 1975 album, Higher Than High, is a stone cold P-Funk ripoff, right down to the rockish influences.

The Chairmen of the Board?

They had one member, Harrison Kennedy, who sang lead on their more rock-oriented material like "Chairman Of The Board," "Hanging On To A Memory" and "Children Of Today." Their final Invictus album, Skin I'm In, was an all-out black-rock bonanza, with actual members of P-Funk playing on it.

Matter of fact, most of the Invictus/Hot Wax catalog is rock-tinged - they used guitar a lot more prominently than most soul producers, so even acts like the Honey Cone wound up sounding "heavier" than most.

• Also the Temptations Solid Rock and 1990 have some moments like this on them.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Disagree. Their 1975 album, Higher Than High, is a stone cold P-Funk ripoff, right down to the rockish influences.

The Chairmen of the Board?

They had one member, Harrison Kennedy, who sang lead on their more rock-oriented material like "Chairman Of The Board," "Hanging On To A Memory" and "Children Of Today." Their final Invictus album, Skin I'm In, was an all-out black-rock bonanza, with actual members of P-Funk playing on it.

Matter of fact, most of the Invictus/Hot Wax catalog is rock-tinged - they used guitar a lot more prominently than most soul producers, so even acts like the Honey Cone wound up sounding "heavier" than most.

True on all fronts. The innner-rockist in anyone would love that whole catalog, that honey cone stuff slaps even though in reality they're a pop girl group. That Undisputed Truth record is a stone cold P-Funk ripoff, which is why I didn't want to recommend it, cause it doesn't really showcase their sound properly. Chairmen of the Board is the group I was looking for.

And in particular, I was just listening to Funkadelic's Maggot Brain last night and that guitar solo is so ridiculously good.

• That Undisputed Truth record is a stone cold P-Funk ripoff, which is why I didn't want to recommend it, cause it doesn't really showcase their sound properly.

I don't even know if they really had a sound per se, since producer Norman Whitfield kept changing their sound/look/format every 3-4 years or so. Rock critics used to call the Temptations "the Norman Whitfield Singers" for the way his concepts used to take over their records, but I think the Undisputed Truth deserved that name more than the Tempts did. At least the Temptations had a recognizable image.

• The Chairmen of the Board?

True on all fronts. The innner-rockist in anyone would love that whole catalog, that honey cone stuff slaps even though in reality they're a pop girl group. That Undisputed Truth record is a stone cold P-Funk ripoff, which is why I didn't want to recommend it, cause it doesn't really showcase their sound properly. Chairmen of the Board is the group I was looking for.

Forgot to mention that Kennedy had a solo album on Invictus, Hypnotic Music. He doesn't sound like Shuggie Otis, but that album could very well appeal to the same folk who love Otis' Inspiration Information (hey, there's another rock-soul record for you...).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    you guys rock........ alot of this stuff is stuff i need especialy the humble gathering lp. i need that solo lp by the chairman of the board dude asap too.

the other stuff needs to get more spins cause i forgot all about them.

peace,xavier

• puppup 133 Posts
    Here's a couple I have been feeling recently...

Freddy-Henchi - Popcorn Baby http://www.sendspace.com/file/cc45dy

Freddy-Henchi - Funky to the Bone http://www.sendspace.com/file/pvt0s5

plus a Chains & Black Exhaust must... Preacher - Life Is A Gamble http://www.sendspace.com/file/pey4vg