steely dan sample question

RonanRonan 86 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
can anyone tell me of any tracks sampling "Do It Again"?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You got it twisted, hommy. "Do It Again" sampled Horace Silver.

• You got it twisted, hommy. "Do It Again" sampled Horace Silver.

Word?? Which part?

• "Ricki Don't Lose that Number" sample material

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah my bad, I mean't "Rikki."

• Oh yeah my bad, I mean't "Rikki."

See now I automatically know which part of the Dan song is an appropriation.

Along these lines, does anyone else agree that Beck completely jacked Ramsey Lewis' "My Love for You" for the intro he used on "Deborah"?

coldplay ripped off the melody of "computer love" for their song "talk"

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    You got it twisted, hommy. "Do It Again" sampled Horace Silver.

• There is a track on The Royal Dan-decent tribute album by sessionistas- called "steal it again" that samples you guessed it, "do it again". i don't think this is what you are referring to but whatever.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

Along these lines, does anyone else agree that Beck completely jacked Ramsey Lewis' "My Love for You" for the intro he used on "Deborah"?

yes he did, beck samples all the time, without notation in the liner notes too. isn't devil's haircut a reworking of purdies soul drums???

• No. It's local LA gospel private madness.

• yes he did, beck samples all the time, without notation in the liner notes too.

Me and some friends spent an entire summer trying to figure out what part of Dr John's 'Gilded Splinters' he sampled for Loser. It says it in the notes, it must be there somewhere, right?

yes he did, beck samples all the time, without notation in the liner notes too.

Me and some friends spent an entire summer trying to figure out what part of Dr John's 'Gilded Splinters' he sampled for Loser. It says it in the notes, it must be there somewhere, right?

or where in donny's "the ghetto" is the sample for "where its at"

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

yes he did, beck samples all the time, without notation in the liner notes too.

The da-da-da-da-dah-*slide* guitar part after the intro break and chanting

• the drums are from Johnny Jenkin's[/b] Gilded Splinters.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

yes he did, beck samples all the time, without notation in the liner notes too. isn't devil's haircut a reworking of purdies soul drums???

He cleared all the samples on "Odelay", including the break from "Soul Drums" and the guitar riff from Them's "I Can Only Give You Everything" in "Devil's Haircut". It cost him a fucking fortune as well. That album was his biggest hit and he actually lost money on it, because the samples cost so much.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

That was cleared direct with Kraftwerk.

That was cleared direct with Kraftwerk.

oh. no shit.