What it is!: Odub, Rhino, and Dante

Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
edited July 2016 in Music Talk
What It Is! Funky Soul And Rare Grooves (1967-1977)Rhino 2006

Congrats to these strutters on their contributions to this project! By far, the best major label funk comp or box set out there. The compilers manange to go from 1967 to 1977 without a hint of corny slap-bass funk, just the real nitty-gritty. All of the tracks are from the Atlantic and Warner vaults, so I assume all the licensing is on the up-and-up, and the sound quality is superb.I bought it mainly for the liner book, which I later found out is by Oliver Wang, and is filled with information on many lesser-known artists. I should mention this is the first compact disc I've purchased for myself in 8 years (no vinyl release ). There are many favorites and a good amount of songs I wasn't familiar with.

Dante was thanked in the notes for supplying some records.

Check out the 91 song track list:

Disc: 1

1. Spreadin' Honey -- Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band 2. Soul Finger -- Bar-Kays 3. The Shadow Of Your Smile -- Brother Jack McDuff 4. Gangster Of Love (Parts 1 and 2) -- Jimmy Norman 5. The Memphis Train -- Rufus Thomas 6. Get Out Of My Life Woman -- Grassella Oliphant 7. Live Right Now -- Eddie Harris 8. Pig Snoots, Part 1 -- Natural Bridge Bunch 9. Soul Sound System -- The Freedom Sounds featuring Wayne Henderson 10. Snatching It Back -- Clarence Carter 11. Stoned Soul -- Artie Christopher 12. Getting The Corners -- The T.S.U. Tornadoes 13. Sexy Coffee Pot -- Tony Alvon & The Belairs 14. Don't Come Around Here Anymore -- Mark Putney 15. Keep On Dancing -- The Commodores 16. Right On Brother--Part 1 -- The Southshore Commission 17. Pop, Popcorn Children -- Eldridge Holmes 18. It's Your Thing -- Cold Grits 19. It's All In Your Mind -- Soul Angels 20. Funky John -- Johnny Cameron & The Camerons 21. Help Me Make Up My Mind -- Joyce Jones 22. Rock Me Baby -- Lou Johnson 23. Sing A Simple Song -- The Noble Knights 24. Do You Dig It -- Titus Turner 25. Funky Canyon -- Phil Moore Jr. 26. Jan Jan -- The Fabulous Counts 27. Tampin -- The Rhine Oaks

Disc: 2

1. Gossip -- Cyril Neville 2. Somebody In The World For You -- The Mighty Hannibal 3. Stanga -- Little Sister 4. Jumpin' Jack Flash -- Ananda Shankar 5. The Deacon -- Brute Force 6. Sookie Sookie -- Don Covay & The Jefferson Lemon Blues Band 7. Right On -- Clarence Wheeler & The Enforcers 8. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go -- Curtis Mayfield 9. Stepping Stones -- Johnny Harris 10. I'm Just Like You -- 6ix 11. Funky Thing--Part 1 -- The Unemployed 12. Messie Bessie -- Shirley Scott 13. Fairchild -- Willie West 14. Cold Bear -- The Gaturs 15. I Can't Get Next To You -- Mongo Santamaria 16. Feelin' Alright -- Lulu 17. Soul Bowl -- Memphis Horns 18. Tuane -- Hammer 19. Take It Off--Part 2 -- Johnny Tolbert & De Thangs 20. Seeds Of Life -- Harlem River Drive featuring Eddie Palmieri & Jimmy Norman 21. Engine Number 9 -- Wilson Pickett Disc: 3 1. Hard Times -- Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters 2. What So Never The Dance--Pt. 1 & 2 -- Houseguests 3. Headless Heroes -- Eugene McDaniels 4. Spinning Wheel -- Wade Marcus 5. Bad Tune -- Earth, Wind & Fire 6. Mr. Cool -- Rasputin's Stash 7. Don't Cha Hear Me Callin' To Ya -- Junior Mance 8. Hang On In There -- The Stovall Sisters 9. Funky Nassau (Part 2) -- The Beginning Of The End 10. Whatever's Fair -- Mark Holder & The Positives 11. Face It -- Ed Robinson 12. Wah Wah Man -- Young-Holt Unlimited 13. Rock Steady (alternate mix) -- Aretha Franklin 14. Won't Nobody Listen -- Black Haze Express 15. Goin' Down -- Allen Toussaint 16. Suavecito -- Malo 17. You Gotta Know Whatcha Doin' -- Charles Wright 18. Mo Jo Hanna -- Tami Lynn 19. Ridin' Thumb -- King Curtis 20. Almendra -- Macondo 21. Nuki Suki -- Little Richard Disc: 4 1. Getting Uptown (To Get Down) -- United 8 2. 8 Days On The Road -- Howard Tate 3. Moon Shadow -- Labelle 4. Let It Crawl -- Society's Bag 5. Wanaoh -- Black Heat 6. If It Was Good Enough For Daddy -- Clarence Reid 7. Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky -- Claudia Lennear 8. Cosmic Sea -- The Mystic Moods 9. Kissing My Love -- Cold Blood 10. Flute Thing -- Seatrain 11. Chug Chug Chug-A-Lug (Push N' Shove) Part 2 -- The Meters 12. Funky To The Bone -- Freddi/Henchi & The Soul Setters 13. Try It Again -- Bobby Byrd 14. . Teasin' -- Cornell Dupree 15. (Everybody Wanna Get Rich) Rite Away -- Dr. John 16. Chicken Heads -- Oscar Brown Jr. 17. Rien Ne Va Plus -- Funk Factory 18. Cajun Moon -- Herbie Mann 19. Improve -- Darrow Fletcher 20. Riding High -- Faze-O 21. Four Play -- Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns 22. California Dreamin' -- Eddie Hazel Edit reason: Apparently, there is a vinyl release of about 25 45s.DOH!

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Isn't this also a 45 box set?? Just wondering because you said it wasn't on vinyl?

• Isn't this also a 45 box set?? Just wondering because you said it wasn't on vinyl?

Is it? I couldn't find that anywhere. The cd packaging looks like it holds 45s, but it doesn't.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    dang thats a sweet comp

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    there is a 45 realease. but i don't think it's all of the tracks on the CDs. like maybe 25 45's in the vinyl release.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    That looks very nice, thanks for the heads up. Price check?

• That looks very nice, thanks for the heads up. Price check?

I got it off Amazon for under $50 including S&H.

How much does the vinyl set go for? And where is it available?

• i dont think the vinyl has all those tracks. i think they released a limited 45 set complete w/ 45 storage thing but it only had 10 45's so 20 total tracks.

very nice set though.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

2. What So Never The Dance--Pt. 1 & 2 -- Houseguests

What's the story behind this falling under the purview of Warner Bros? Was it licensed for wider distribution and then sacked before pressing or something?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    That looks very nice, thanks for the heads up. Price check?

I got it off Amazon for under $50 including S&H.

How much does the vinyl set go for? And where is it available?

It is available in a 45 box set also - it's approximately the same size as the CD set. The MSRP is $129.99 but you could probably find them for closer to $100 if you look around. Of course once they are gone it will probably go up as a lot of these Rhino box sets do (even the CD ones).

Here is one on ebay - 25 rekkids:
    http://tinyurl.com/2ag5u9

So Odub did work on this.. it's all making sense how this is definately not your typical major label box set. Congrats and good work!

Oh yeah, and I do have one I can sell or we might could work a trade for some vinyl

• there is a 45 realease. but i don't think it's all of the tracks on the CDs. like maybe 25 45's in the vinyl release.

Ok, found it on the Rhino site. All original labels and a/b sides! List - $130, 25 45s.

Ganster Of Love (part I)/Gangster Of Love (part II) - Jimmy Norman
    GETTING THE CORNERS/What Good Am I? - The T.S.U. Toronadoes
    Get In The Groove/Somebody In The World For You - The Mighty Hannibal
    Boom Boom Boom/Sexy Coffee Pot - Tony Alvon & the Belairs
    Tampin/Oleancler - The Rhine Oaks
    Keep On Dancing/Rise Up - The Commodores
    His Funeral, My Trial/Do You Dig It - Titus Turner
    Cheatin' Woman/Pop, Popcorn Children - Eldridge Holmes
    It's Your Thing/Bring It On Home To Me - Cold Grits
    I Love You Yes I Do/Funky John - Johnny Cameron & The Camerons
    Stanga/Somebody's Watching You - Little Sister
    Gossip/Tell Me What's On Your Mind - Cyril Neville
    Take It Off-Part i/Take It Off-Part ii - Johnny Tolbert & De Thangs
    Engine Number 9/International Playboy - Wilson Pickett
    Funky Nassau-part i/Funky Nassau-part ii - The Beginning Of The End
    Hang On In There/Sweepin' Through The City - The Stovall Sisters
    Listen To Me/Hard Times - Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters
    Fairchild/I Sleep With The Blues - Willie West
    Cold Bear/The Booger Man - The Gaturs
    You Gotta Know Whatcha' Doin'/Here Comes The Sun - Charles Wright
    Mockingbird Sally/Nuki Suki - Little Richard
    Ain't It Good/Getting Uptown (To Get Down) - United 8
    Chug Chug Chug-A-Lug (Push N' Shove) Part i/Chug Chug Chug-A-Lug (Push N' Shove) Part iI - The Meter
    Funky To The Bone/I Want To Dance, Dance, Dance - Freddi/Henchi & The Soul Setters
    California Dreamin' (vocal)/California Dreamin' (instrumental) - Eddie Hazel

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Comp looks real solid. Any reason Archie Bell was excluded?

• 2. What So Never The Dance--Pt. 1 & 2 -- Houseguests

What's the story behind this falling under the purview of Warner Bros? Was it licensed for wider distribution and then sacked before pressing or something?

I think it's not 100% warner/atlantic/atco. They include Josie, for instance.

I asked them the same question.
    The scan and music came from my copy of the record.
    My dad is really into this comp.
    The liner notes are really weak.
    I didn't write them.
    Sorry.

• The liner notes are really weak.

Scathing.

oliver, rebuttal?

I didn't write them.
    Sorry.

I didn't write them.
    Sorry.

It was a little dissapointing that, for a few of the songs, there was little or no info at all, but I figured due dilligence was done.

Do you know who chose the songs?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    My girlfriend bought the 45 box a couple weeks ago & it is rad, my copy is on order & should be here this week. I am pretty sure someone put all 4 CDs up in the real headz section because I have them downloaded from somewhere? Great stuff.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Fairchild/I Sleep With The Blues - Willie West

Does anyone know if this is the orig 45 version or the much better acoustic guitar version on the sehorn's farm comp?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

2. What So Never The Dance--Pt. 1 & 2 -- Houseguests

I didn't write them.
    Sorry.

PT 1 was included on the Warner released 'Best of Bootsy' CD that came out in 1994. I am assuming that they have had the rights since at least then.

• I supplied the records Dante didn't and this was brought up when the box was released.... the selective props are always interesting

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I bought it mainly for the liner book, which I later found out is by Oliver Wang, and is filled with information on many lesser-known artists.

I got the vinyl 45s set for Xmas and the booklet was lacking. Just a single folded sheet.

Is the cd booklet more in-depth?

• The liner notes are really weak.

How so? I know you were pretty close to it, but apart from a couple of blanks (Johnny Talbot is a fairly well-known Bay Area soul/blues musician, but the annotator didn't appear to know anything about him at all), they did alright. I'd rather see this than see yet another shoutout to some obscure DJ pool in the UK.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I bought it mainly for the liner book, which I later found out is by Oliver Wang, and is filled with information on many lesser-known artists.

I got the vinyl 45s set for Xmas and the booklet was lacking. Just a single folded sheet.

Yeah, the liner notes on the CDs are one blatant oversight ommitted from the 45 box.

The 82-page book has lots of photos, info on each track, and a nice introduction which welcomes the casual funk fan into the world of the more obscure.
    I enjoyed the packaging as well. But now I want the 45 box.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    (Johnny Talbot is a fairly well-known Bay Area soul/blues musician, but the annotator didn't appear to know anything about him at all)

Uh-oh...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    So - how much of this set was mastered from vinyl?

I would have thought that with the big $$$ behind it,
    the master tapes for the majority of tracks could have
    been used. I realize there are a few genuine raers, but
    I'm curious how much of it was just ripped from wax ...

• I'm pretty sure mines and Dante's wax was used to get a very accurate detail of the labels and none of them were used to master audio from. the whole thing sound really good.

• I've been listening to cuts from this for a while via Yahoo radio. I asked for it for Christmas but didn't get it.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I'm pretty sure mines and Dante's wax was used to get a very accurate detail of the labels and none of them were used to master audio from. the whole thing sound really good.

Some guy contacted me about using my sexy coffee pot and United 8 records. I'm pretty sure they only wanted them to use the label art. I think the set is just great, however I just wasn't down with mailing off my copies of these across the country to some stranger.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

The 82-page book has lots of photos, info on each track, and a nice introduction which welcomes the casual funk fan into the world of the more obscure.
    I enjoyed the packaging as well. But now I want the 45 box.

Can anybody find me a scan of the booklet?
    The 45's are twice the price and NO booklet?