latee appreciation

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
dudes voice is smoothe as hell, his lyrics got iller weaves than a crack head and he has been blessed with some riducuolousnes to flow over."wake up" "brainstorm" why no LP??????

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    dudes voice is smoothe as hell, his lyrics got iller weaves than a crack head and he has been blessed with some riducuolousnes to flow over.

"wake up"

"brainstorm"

why no LP??????

Yes. Serious co-signage.

• The whole original Flavor Unit doesn't get NEARLY the props they deserve and honestly, neither does the 45 King, considering how influential and fresh he was. There's probably so much unreleased Latee material sitting in 45 Kings studio...

Anyone know about this, which is listed on his website?

Put the Funk Out There - Rock-A-Fella, 1999 - Bootleg of an unreleased promo compilation album. featuring Jay-Z, Chill Rob G., Latee, Queen Latifah, and Diamond D.

• Anyone know about this, which is listed on his website?

Put the Funk Out There - Rock-A-Fella, 1999 - Bootleg of an unreleased promo compilation album. featuring Jay-Z, Chill Rob G., Latee, Queen Latifah, and Diamond D.

I got that, I need to listen to that again. I like the Latee Rocks The Bells (the mix is a little different than the version that came out on 12"), and I remember the Diamond song using the Giant break. I can upload it in a couple of days if you guys want to hear it.

• I like the Latee Rocks The Bells (the mix is a little different than the version that came out on 12"), and I remember the Diamond song using the Giant break. I can upload it in a couple of days if you guys want to hear it.

yeah that's the better version of the song. Classic latee, he always has that smooth flow and straight forward flow... No tricks or gimmicks like he said in the song... His cut on the flavor unit lp is a little disapointing though..

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    "No Tricks" =

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I got that, I need to listen to that again. I like the Latee Rocks The Bells (the mix is a little different than the version that came out on 12"), and I remember the Diamond song using the Giant break. I can upload it in a couple of days if you guys want to hear it.

The song using the Giant break is the b side to the Rocks the Bells 12" if I remember correctly, and I don't think Diamond's on that one. Nevertheless, it would be great if you'd upload that album, I've heard about it but never heard it, other than short snippets. I'd like to hear that Jay-Z song in its entirety.

Plaese to upload.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The whole original Flavor Unit doesn't get NEARLY the props they deserve and honestly, neither does the 45 King, considering how influential and fresh he was.

No doubt.

I was recently told that he was the DJ for this crew:

• I was recently told that he was the DJ for this crew:

Never knew that, thanks for the info.

I'll never forget the first time I heard This Cuts Got Flavor, serious

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    why no LP??????

Do you think it would have been significantly better than Lakim Shabazz Pure Righteousness?

why no LP??????

Do you think it would have been significantly better than Lakim Shabazz Pure Righteousness?

Would this be an oblique reference to those tracks on Pure Righteousness that consist of egyptology talk over a house beat?

Plaese to upload.

I can't transfer it tonight but will try to do on Tuesday night.

• why no LP??????

Would this be an oblique reference to those tracks on Pure Righteousness that consist of egyptology talk over a house beat?

LOL. for real. id like to htink that it would be better

• why no LP??????

LOL. for real. id like to htink that it would be better

Man, that shit just has to be put into context of how big house was at the time in the hip-hop clubs, with all that Bango Bango and whatnot, and especially in Jersey there's always been the whole club tracks/house influence going back to Zanzibar and what have you. I'm not saying those songs were good (because they weren't), but I just leave em off the tape and the rest of that LP is serious. I really do like alot of 45 King's house tracks though, especially some of the stuff with Louis Louis.

Bonus points to the joint where DJ Cee Justice is cutting up the 900 number and dude is spitting over it. I want to say it's "When a Wise Man Speaks", but I'm probably remembering incorrectly and I'm too busy to go dig the 45 King record out that it was on, but that shit gives me chills.

Uber bonus points goes to the article my man Mighty Mi wrote in the Source about the original Flavor Unit many years ago. I had that shit taped to my wall for years. Wish I still had it and would be real thankful if someone could up a scan of it.

Man, that shit just has to be put into context of how big house was at the time in the hip-hop clubs, with all that Bango Bango and whatnot, and especially in Jersey there's always been the whole club tracks/house influence going back to Zanzibar and what have you. I'm not saying those songs were good (because they weren't), but I just leave em off the tape and the rest of that LP is serious. I really do like alot of 45 King's house tracks though, especially some of the stuff with Louis Louis.

Not hating at all--they at least make me smile as period pieces.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Uber bonus points goes to the article my man Mighty Mi wrote in the Source about the original Flavor Unit many years ago. I had that shit taped to my wall for years. Wish I still had it and would be real thankful if someone could up a scan of it.

• Man, that shit just has to be put into context of how big house was at the time in the hip-hop clubs, with all that Bango Bango and whatnot, and especially in Jersey there's always been the whole club tracks/house influence going back to Zanzibar and what have you. I'm not saying those songs were good (because they weren't), but I just leave em off the tape and the rest of that LP is serious. I really do like alot of 45 King's house tracks though, especially some of the stuff with Louis Louis.

Not hating at all--they at least make me smile as period pieces.

i was laughing at, as faux noted, the egyptoscientifical subject matter being spilled over club music.

• thanks noz. no mention of alibaski?

• Uber bonus points goes to the article my man Mighty Mi wrote in the Source about the original Flavor Unit many years ago. I had that shit taped to my wall for years. Wish I still had it and would be real thankful if someone could up a scan of it.

Much, MUCH thanks.

PS: "The Mack of Rap" is maybe the most slept on tune of that era. I'm gonna put it on right now.

• Production on this album is STILL fucking advanced and this guy caught the "raw deal of the century" award with that whole Snap fiasco:

Plus the "Wild Pitch" Remix is ffffffrrrrrreeeeessssshhhh....

I'm willing to bet that 99% of these weirdos chasing random 1997 12"s by Fat Beats cut-out bin also-rans don't have most of the stuff we're talking about.

• "...now the clouds, they symbolizing the crowds
    that gather when i pump up my music loud.
    filled with energy, bout to burst
    when it rains it pours and when it pours its a dope verse.
    Its gonna rain check the forecast, i'm talking about pain
    so you better haul ---- with your small ass
    Or get trapped in the storm
    once again its on, i be like the king that snatches the pawn
    Whenever rappers wanna rumble,
    i remain humble and i dont bite the bait like some do
    some scrub,somewhere wanna be heard
    and what occured is my skills is laid on the curb
    I went first, like a sunburst, after one verse i scorched em
    and left cracks and quakes in the earth..."

• Production on this album is STILL fucking advanced and this guy caught the "raw deal of the century" award with that whole Snap fiasco:

Plus the "Wild Pitch" Remix is ffffffrrrrrreeeeessssshhhh....

I'm willing to bet that 99% of these weirdos chasing random 1997 12"s by Fat Beats cut-out bin also-rans don't have most of the stuff we're talking about.

dont knock em...everyone gets in where they get in. hopefully theyll get to it eventually.

ive never heard "Mac of Rap"....gotta trak that down.

• "The Mack of Rap" is maybe the most slept on tune of that era. I'm gonna put it on right now.

I remember buying this from the sale bin in my local store for ??1 back in the day, they had about 10 copies...

Maybe I should have bought doubles...

• I got that, I need to listen to that again. I like the Latee Rocks The Bells (the mix is a little different than the version that came out on 12"), and I remember the Diamond song using the Giant break. I can upload it in a couple of days if you guys want to hear it.

The song using the Giant break is the b side to the Rocks the Bells 12" if I remember correctly, and I don't think Diamond's on that one. Nevertheless, it would be great if you'd upload that album, I've heard about it but never heard it, other than short snippets. I'd like to hear that Jay-Z song in its entirety.

You're right about the Diamond. Man, my memory is bad.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rkxm7r

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Chill Rob's 'Court Is In Session' is one of the most memorable tracks of my past. I remember Westwood playing that every week for about six months on his radio show.
    Lakim's album was the first CD I ever bought (I had the vinyl, but I was prematurely conscious of it 'wearing out' for overuse). Lakim's a big vinyl collector these days, apparently.

I also remember being told that there was a Latee album test press, on Wild Pitch, out there... until Rob at TSL admitted it was a joke.
    Random fact: 'This Cut's Got Flavor' was inspired by Latee telling Lakim that 'this c*nt's got flavor' in reference to a beat Mark had cooked up.

All the original Flavor Unit were dope.

• All the original Flavor Unit were dope.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Overrated.

• word...it's a shame that he never had an album, I love everything he has ever done and I do find it odd that DJ Mark The 45 King doesn't get mentioned as much as DJ Premier, Pete Rock or Marley Marl do...Mark pioneered a lot of great samples and breaks.