Weekend Finds

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
It's been a pretty uninspiring couple weeks. But here's the meagre pickings I copped. The Agnostic Front is ltd on blue, CIV is also blue (maybe that's the only color that one came in though, have to check). Duane Eddy " Put A Little Love In Your Heart"; Frijid Pink "House Of The Rising Sun"; No Motiv is on purple (Nardcore!); Shocking Blue "Venus". Top right is Bobby Timmons "Sweet & Soulful", I was glad to upgrade that Maiden finally for cheap. Hope the records get better soon.

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    whats next to maiden?

• whats next to maiden?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i found cassettes today. ehhhh

• i found cassettes today. ehhhh

Damn, I always wanted that St. Ides tape. Isn't there a bootleg CD of that circulating? I wondered if the cassette was the source, or if it came from the masters. Most likely the former.

i found cassettes today. ehhhh

Damn, I always wanted that St. Ides tape. Isn't there a bootleg CD of that circulating? I wondered if the cassette was the source, or if it came from the masters. Most likely the former.

its like a cassette single. im gonna listen to it now. that and the purple tape were the top cassette finds. i have everything already but for a quarter a piece i was like fuck it.

• its like a cassette single. im gonna listen to it now. that and the purple tape were the top cassette finds. i have everything already but for a quarter a piece i was like fuck it.

Thrift stores around here are piling up with tapes, and I would buy a few if I had a cassette deck.

Does that St. Ides tape have the Wu one? I know there was a series of St. Ides tapes when they were doing the ads, and the one(s) with the Wu was one of only a few things I was never able to obtain when I was doing the U-WU.

its like a cassette single. im gonna listen to it now. that and the purple tape were the top cassette finds. i have everything already but for a quarter a piece i was like fuck it.

Thrift stores around here are piling up with tapes, and I would buy a few if I had a cassette deck.

Does that St. Ides tape have the Wu one? I know there was a series of St. Ides tapes when they were doing the ads, and the one(s) with the Wu was one of only a few things I was never able to obtain when I was doing the U-WU.

it says on the back

Wu
    Snoop
    Cube
    Warren G
    Nate Dogg
    MC Eiht
    Scarface

• it says on the back

Wu
    Snoop
    Cube
    Warren G
    Nate Dogg
    MC Eiht
    Scarface

That was the one. I always liked the MC Eiht track. Very cool to at least see that though. I'll have to head over to Goodwill tomorrow and see what lurks.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

it says on the back

Wu
    Snoop
    Cube
    Warren G
    Nate Dogg
    MC Eiht
    Scarface

That was the one. I always liked the MC Eiht track. Very cool to at least see that though. I'll have to head over to Goodwill tomorrow and see what lurks.

The WU track: http://www.sendspace.com/file/85elbt

The MC Eiht track: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wcydip

• yo every cut on that tape is hot. nate doggs and eihts shit are ridiculous.
    were there other tapeswith the cypress / king tee ones? i have an assortment on vinyl....theres a little homies picture on the cover,kinda bootleg looking.

i bumped into some legit hiphop by accident:
    another ultimate 3
    BDP bridge is over
    vicious rap instro/cymande
    davy d-feel for you
    nikki rap n scratch
    schooly D's LP
    and a weird sly stone 12 i have never seen before. it says its from the "ten years too soon" LP (i'm unfamiliar) and its got sing simple song/dance to the music. longer versions. whats the deal? same session?

• I didn't expect that, but thank you for upping those.

• - karen dalton - in my own time (dutch press?!)
    - yusef lateef - the complete (sealed)
    - yusef lateef - other sounds (sealed)
    - johnson hawkins tatum & durr on capsoul
    - 2 montclairs 45s on paula (thx pcmr)
    - visitors on muse (thx jeremy)
    - visitors on cobblestone (thx fos)
    - zap pow - now (nm spare)
    - bosworth library comp on trunk (1996 / spare)
    - terry callier - i just cant help myself

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    and a weird sly stone 12 i have never seen before. it says its from the "ten years too soon" LP (i'm unfamiliar) and its got sing simple song/dance to the music. longer versions. whats the deal? same session?

I think Sly re-recorded or someone remixed those tunes, disco'ed them up
    a bit, to release on a Greatest Hits thing. And those are the versions on that 12".
    I found one of those a little while back thinking I might able to flip it, but
    little to zero interest when I listed it. It may have gone for like $5 or
    something. Cool mixes though!

• a couple Latin terds:

and i found these in my mailbox:

• and a weird sly stone 12 i have never seen before. it says its from the "ten years too soon" LP (i'm unfamiliar) and its got sing simple song/dance to the music. longer versions. whats the deal? same session?

I think Sly re-recorded or someone remixed those tunes, disco'ed them up
    a bit, to release on a Greatest Hits thing. And those are the versions on that 12".
    I found one of those a little while back thinking I might able to flip it, but
    little to zero interest when I listed it. It may have gone for like $5 or
    something. Cool mixes though!

yeah,they aint bad.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    That 'Venus' B-Side suprised me the first time i heard it.

Here's some of what's been popping up my way:

yo every cut on that tape is hot. nate doggs and eihts shit are ridiculous.
    were there other tapeswith the cypress / king tee ones? i have an assortment on vinyl....theres a little homies picture on the cover,kinda bootleg looking.

they didnt have the other ones. i had an album with all of em on it. i wish i knew what happened to it. it was bootleg as shit. and this one i got has that horrible tape flaw where the audio goes in and out. muffled to non-muffled. doesnt fade Warren G though haha

• SONIC

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    it was a good weekend

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Went to SD this weekend, Mark hooked me up with some nice records for cheap. I'm also glad I stopped by my local store after returning to LA. Monster break on the cut "Plastico" on the Willie Colon/Reuben Blades record. Hi-tension "Girl I betcha" is pretty sick modern/R&B shit as well(freebie from Mark):

• Here's what I came up with (no raers, sorry):

Creative Source - Migration
    Albert King - New Orleans Heat
    The Bob Crewe Generation - Street Talk
    Art of Noise - Into Battle
    Electronic Concept Orchestra - Moog Groove
    Riders in the Sky - 4 LPs
    Pigmeat - Here Comes the Judge
    James - Talking Loud and Saying Nothing
    James - Mother Popcorn
    Dyke - Funky Broadway
    Jimmy - Bertha Butt Boogie

And courtesy of the fine folks at DC's own Som Records:
    Curtis Mayfield - Got to Find a Way
    Sly Dunbar - Sly-go-ville
    Roy Ayers - Mystic Voyage
    Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces
    Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
    Art Farmer - Gentle Eyes
    NY R&R Ensemble - Roll Over

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hi-tension "Girl I betcha" is pretty sick modern/R&B shit as well

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    it's been a while since i did one of these posts, so i'm gonna cheat just a little. these are from last weekend, amoeba sf:

that cafona is a fucking

thrifto's during the week:

the dude, quarter a piece:

the tanya falan is pretty cool. country psych

once again, amoeba sf this weekend:

that sign of aquarius is on some i wasn't even trying to trip off the on any sunday ost they had on the wall for $75 when they had all this crazy shit in the bins.

stone crazy shit right here. what? ten bones? gimme dat!! a bit of a bummer that the front pic that was glued on is missing.

today ($1-5)

yep, pulled extra copies of the arthur adams and lonnie smith

the relph is sealed

• Nice digs R*d***. I had that f-ing Cafona LP in my hands I guess last week and for some reason decided not to buy it. What's it like exactly?
    I actually bought about 25 dollar bin records out of Amoeba yesterday myself. A fairly clean copy of Gabor Szabo "Jazz Raga" for a buck? Yes please. I got some other cool stuff but can't remember what now (yes this was only yesterday but my memory isn't what it used to be).

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Plastic People of the Universe Lp and a couple pics from the thick ass booklet
    that came with it.

If you are up on The PPU, check this link:
    http://www.furious.com/PERFECT/pulnoc.html
    Crazy shit!

• I love that "Sign of Aquarius" LP. Not an easy one to find by any means.

Here are my take homes from the weekend:

Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Radio Radio ... Live in Toronto 3/78 (German bootleg) - great recording
    Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (Columbia mono) looks rough, plays pretty well. different mixes than the stereo release.
    Sabu - Palo Congo (Blue Note) 70's Japanese press
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin (Blue Note) 70's Japanese press. will have to do til I get an OG!
    Joe Henderson - Mode for Joe (Blue Note) sealed 70's press
    Anthony Williams - Life Time (Blue Note) sealed 70's press
    Grant Green - The Final Come-Down (Blue Note)
    Grant Green - Live at the Lighhouse (Blue Note)
    Patrice Rushen - Before the Dawn (Prestige)

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    Nice digs R*d***. I had that f-ing Cafona LP in my hands I guess last week and for some reason decided not to buy it. What's it like exactly?

dude i hate to break it to you bro, but you done slept. especially with the five dollar price tag. it's some really groovy tropicalia niceness.

• What's up with this? Looks rrrad.

• it was a good weekend

how is that Joe Thomas LP?

i dont have that one, i like something else by him i have...maybe a record with an carved head of ice on the cover? i think it was on groove merchant...came across it in the 90s