PayPal "e-checks"

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
What is the deal with this?I have been getting e-mails from PayPal lately regarding the clearing of my "e-checks," which I never received in the past... and it also seems to be taking longer to process.Has there been a policy change? Whenever you use funds from your bank account is it now via "e-check"?

Comments

• Whenever you use funds from your bank account is it now via "e-check"?

yup---if your visa/mastercard isn't hooked up to it

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What is the deal with this?

I have been getting e-mails from PayPal lately regarding the clearing of my "e-checks," which I never received in the past... and it also seems to be taking longer to process.

Has there been a policy change? Whenever you use funds from your bank account is it now via "e-check"?

It's been like that from jump. People usually pay by cc, so when they pay directly from their bank acct, it's gotta clear out of their (your) bank, regardless of how many zeroes follow the $ in your bank acct. Perhaps notifying the buyer of the echeck clearance is a new policy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I have been getting e-mails from PayPal lately regarding the clearing of my "e-checks," which I never received in the past... and it also seems to be taking longer to process.

Has there been a policy change? Whenever you use funds from your bank account is it now via "e-check"?

It's been like that from jump. People usually pay by cc, so when they pay directly from their bank acct, it's gotta clear out of their (your) bank, regardless of how many zeroes follow the $ in your bank acct. Perhaps notifying the buyer of the echeck clearance is a new policy.

Yeah, I've been paying directly from checking account for six or seven years, but received two "e-check" notices for the very first time this week... I had never encountered the term in all my previous dealings with PayPal.

• What is the deal with this?

Yeah, I've been paying directly from checking account for six or seven years, but received two "e-check" notices for the very first time this week... I had never encountered the term in all my previous dealings with PayPal.

Are you sure? I don't use Paypal much but I've received e-checks for years. Most people pay using credit cards or check cards where funds are available immediately. I think e-checks are better because buyers can only dispute through Paypal whereas with credit cards they can dispute a charge through Paypal and through their credit card company.

Are you sure? I don't use Paypal much but I've received e-checks for years. Most people pay using credit cards or check cards where funds are available immediately. I think e-checks are better because buyers can only dispute through Paypal whereas with credit cards they can dispute a charge through Paypal and through their credit card company.

Absolutely certain (speaking as a buyer, not a seller). In the past I've received only a single immediate e-mail confirming payment via PayPal; now I'm getting a second e-mail regarding the e-check three or four days later.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    It's probably because you're always making a scene down at the e-check-cashing spot. Now you're "on the list."

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I've received e-checks for years.

Must I clarify for a third time that I am not talking about receiving them?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I've received e-allowences for years.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Yes.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Yes.

"Why must I clarify?" fauxy graemlin, please.

• I've received e-checks for years.

FAUX_RILLZ IN (e)PAY-TO-PLAY SCANDAL

FAUX_RILLZ IN (e)PAY-TO-PLAY SCANDAL

"You sound like a non-(e)paya"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    When I first started using Paypal, I didn't have a CC card connected to my account. I would pay via e-check; the funds would be withdrawn from my account after a few days; I guess this was the amount of time it took for the money to be tranfered. When I got my CC card hooked up, the money would be withdrawn from my account, but there was no clearing time because the CC acted a a gurantee. The seller would be paid automatically, the card would act as a my insurance that if the funds were not in the account there would be some way of obtaining payment, and the money was withdrawn from my account in a day or three.

When I first started using Paypal, I didn't have a CC card connected to my account. I would pay via e-check; the funds would be withdrawn from my account after a few days; I guess this was the amount of time it took for the money to be tranfered. When I got my CC card hooked up, the money would be withdrawn from my account, but there was no clearing time because the CC acted a a gurantee. The seller would be paid automatically, the card would act as a my insurance that if the funds were not in the account there would be some way of obtaining payment, and the money was withdrawn from my account in a day or three.

Huh, the credit card that I had on file with PayPal did actually expire recently, and I don't think I bothered to update it with the new number, so I bet that's it--it's reverted to e-check because it's no longer "guaranteed".

Guess I gotta update my CC info. Thanks.

• i used to pay via credit cards then i ran up a huge debt. now e checks come directly from the saving account so i can only pay with money i have...just hook up a credit card to pay directly and instantly if you don't want to do e checks.

a lot of sellers get all hissy when they get them though for some reason. guess cause you have to wait.

as long as i'm getting the money fine with me!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Exactly what happened to me.

• from a sellers point of view e-checks are a pain in the ass, totally loses the advantage of standard quick payments via paypal...

• Anyone ever had one *not* clear?

I always wait for clearance, and sometimes have to explain to the buyer that their record hasn't been shipped because their payment hasn't cleared.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm having that issue right nah. Dude seems to have some problemo with his bank. I've always waited for eChecks to clear before shipment, but the situation never got riller, til now.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    Anyone ever had one *not* clear?

yes, numerous times.

e-checks are basically promissory notes stating "i'll pay you through paypal IF i actually have the money in my checking account in 4-6 business days".