tragic skip... help

high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Tragic Skip... I wish that was my nickname... but uhI just got this eh highschool record (yeah, i don't like HS records eitehr) that's fricken hot but there's this goddamn skip right on the doodoo break (yeah, breakz). Dudes get nasty too. Drummer & conguero kill it. So gimme your remedies. One that I rock often is just to put a quarter on the head shell and play it and then play it backwards. has worked like a charm in the past. Joe Bataan required 2 quarters though "around tellin jokes-telling jokes-tellin-jokes." But that's doin me no good this time - and this scratch doesn't even look that deep.... wtf?Anyone ever try that needle trick where you pick it out? I've attempted and failed miserably in the past. Anyone had success with this? Or any other tactics? Prayer? Voodoo maybe?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    it could be one of those mastering accidents that are unrepairable. other than that, depending which way the skip goes, the preasure thing usually works. if it the skip repeats go forward if it jumps go backwards.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    get out the GP3 and try to hold the needle steady.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    My old roommate used to do the quarter trick, but instead of playing through at 33 he'd switch it to 78, and just play the section over and over and over. I saw quite a few skips taken care of in that manner. No idea what that does to the vinyl though. Yikes.

• ive had success with the sewing needle light drag back (re-digging the groove clockwise) . but you gotta get all gnome-clockwork with a magnifying glass and such. and it does leave a mark and some noise.

• Can you feel where the scratch is? If it's a surface scratch, you may be able to get rid if it by gently scratching it with your fingernail along the groove. The needle method (going back and forth) can work too.

If you're recording it to a computer, constantly play that section while you're holding the needle, and get into it until you've recorded enough information to edit it together. If you are able to do that, and there's still an audible click, you can always take that out, or if the click is louder on one channel than the other, you can do a quick cut with what's on the other channel at the same time, then paste it on the other side again. It will be so quick that no one will notice it, and unless the stereo dynamic is drastic, it will not have much of an effect, at least not a click that lasts 0.008 seconds.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    i am 2 for 2 on repairing skips using a needle/tack (one on a copy of boscoe ).
    seems sketchy as hell but does the trick.
    both had diagonal scratches which caused a forward skip.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    it could be one of those mastering accidents that are unrepairable.
    i've got one of these on my elephant's memory lp..it skips right in the middle of the break and ive tried everything

• If it the skip repeats go forward if it jumps go backwards.

Nice.

i am 2 for 2 on repairing skips using a needle/tack (one on a copy of boscoe ).
    seems sketchy as hell but does the trick.
    both had diagonal scratches which caused a forward skip.

is this an advertisement for your services? what's your address? I'd do it myself but I'm not responsible enough - I mean I once ironed a Cissy's Thang.

My old roommate used to do the quarter trick, but instead of playing through at 33 he'd switch it to 78, and just play the section over and over and over. I saw quite a few skips taken care of in that manner. No idea what that does to the vinyl though. Yikes.

You sir are a F#CKIN GENIUS!!!!

All I did was my same technique but I put the Technics 1200 stock 45 adapter on the headshell and then played that shit on 45 and then back cued real fast... and Voila! 33.3 with 2 quarters = no dice. 45 and an adapter = Magic!

LISTEN to the success story

(you believe all the commotion was about that little shitty snippet? breakz )

• My old roommate used to do the quarter trick, but instead of playing through at 33 he'd switch it to 78, and just play the section over and over and over. I saw quite a few skips taken care of in that manner. No idea what that does to the vinyl though. Yikes.

I do that sometimes with the Vestax Handytrax on max speed.. I've fixed like 5 rekkids using that technique.

• awallawall 673 Posts

I do that sometimes with the Vestax Handytrax on max speed.. I've fixed like 5 rekkids using that technique.

this is the method that i've used for a while, something about the needle on the handytrax does wonders. but in really serious cases i've followed this and it has worked:
    http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/7049/skips.htm

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Yeah I've tried the entire needle fast thing and had it work for me. But for serious shit I put Noel to work. He's a master when it comes to the hopeless skips.