Soul Train appreciation post

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
"Give it up gang"[/b] Soul Train was like a religion on satutrday mornings...right after Fat Albert.Glued to the TV like a zombieDONT FRONT WIGGERS!!!!....you know you watched Soul Train..while your moms and pops were watching American Bandstand in the next roomDon was the coolest mo fo on earth...who can forget MJ doing the robot...Al Green high as a kite....Marvin playing one on one vs Don.......Walter Payton in the soul train line....THE SCRAMBLE BOARD.....MUTHA FUCKIN' ULTRA SHEEN!!!!!!and most of all that Asian chick who was on there FOREVER!!!!.....and nobody knew her name......what was her name??anyway"GIVE IT UP GANG"

Comments

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Chan Dog hooked me up with the coldest video of Ohio Players doin "Skin Tight" live. All the Soul Trains I watched when I was a kid had all the artists lip synching. When did they start doin that?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    my friends Grandma just had her 50 year school reunion for some trade school college in Chicago. In the same yearbook I found a picture of her fellow classmates Julian Prestier (Sp?) and Don Cornelius. I'ma see if I can post a picture of them both later tonight.

Oh and and yes soultrain was the bomb....around the time Shemar Moore starting hosting I kinda gave up on it

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Chan Dog hooked me up with the coldest video of Ohio Players doin "Skin Tight" live. All the Soul Trains I watched when I was a kid had all the artists lip synching. When did they start doin that?

The live performances were never a strict policy, that was just something they did (and do) every now and then.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I saw Mike Jones, Paul Wall and Slim Thug lip-syncing on it last wknd... it gets boring fast...

The host they have now is such a bitch...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    All the Soul Trains I watched when I was a kid had all the artists lip synching.

me too,i grew up in the eighties...my tapes are the reason i know about the 70's shows....way colder watching dudes perfrom live vs lip synching....i watched like 10 episodes the other day.....Curtis Mayfield was barely movin' on stage and he had the crowd LIFTED....these days dudes damn near set the stage on fire,yell and shit to get it crackin

The host they have now is such a bitch...

that dude is a fag (sorry gay folks).....but he is a goddamn robot bitch

All the Soul Trains I watched when I was a kid had all the artists lip synching.

me too,i grew up in the eighties...my tapes are the reason i know about the 70's shows....way colder watching dudes perfrom live vs lip synching....i watched like 10 episodes the other day.....Curtis Mayfield was barely movin' on stage and he had the crowd LIFTED....these days dudes damn near set the stage on fire,yell and shit to get it crackin

I need to get laced with those. Sounds dope! Watching Shalamar lip synching "Night to Remember" doesn't have the same effect as Curtis doin his thing live.

I need to get laced with those. Sounds dope! Watching Shalamar lip synching "Night to Remember" doesn't have the same effect as Curtis doin his thing live.

just gotta find somebody to dub em' for me...i got u......i think Questlove has all the episodes on tape

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

They almost always lip synched on Soul Train, even on the early 70s episodes. I've got a video of JB and the JBs on Soul Train in the 70s and they are playing live. ALL the 70s episodes came out on video in Japan, but are now out of print and hard to find. I've got a dope 80s episode with the Gap band doin' "yearning for your love." Those fools are wearin' cowboy hats, leather pants and cowboy boots. Comedy.
    Weezey, was that video of Ohio Players doin' skin tight live on Soul Train or Don Kirschner's Rock Concert or Wolfman Jack's Midnight Special? I know that shit was always live on "Rock Concert" and "Midnight Special." Kool & The Gang live on Wolman Jack's Midnight Special doing "Jungle Boogie" and "Hollywood Swinging" =
    FIRE!!!!!!!!!!
    Funny story for you folls:
    I was drinkin' one night at the Polo Lounge in the Beverly Hills Hotel back in the 80s and was LOADED this night. I look over and see Don Cornelius sittin' in a booth by himself eating a shrimp cocktail. I went over there and sat next to him and said "Oh Snap! It's the SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUULLL Train!!!!!!!!!!!" I then went on to tell him how much I loved the show in the 70s. He was very polite, but had a look on his face like "Who the fuck is this crazy drunk white boy?!" COMEDY!

I was drinkin' one night at the Polo Lounge in the Beverly Hills Hotel back in the 80s and was LOADED this night. I look over and see Don Cornelius sittin' in a booth by himself eating a shrimp cocktail. I went over there and sat next to him and said "Oh Snap! It's the SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUULLL Train!!!!!!!!!!!" I then went on to tell him how much I loved the show in the 70s. He was very polite, but had a look on his face like "Who the fuck is this crazy drunk white boy?!" COMEDY!

CLASSIC!!!!

and your location is classic also...LOL

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    and your location is classic also...LOL

Location is compliments of the hommie Phill the Soulman!

just gotta find somebody to dub em' for me...i got u......i think Questlove has all the episodes on tape

They need to cut the crap and get these released officially on dvd and everything. I was watching one of those wack infomercials for some soul collection the other day for the footage of all the classic songs. Its weird to see a visual for something you've listened to over the years.