Then Play On? (WTF related)

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited June 2016 in Strut Central
Alright, what's the deal with Fleetwood Mac's "Then Play On" lp? I played it front to back last night and couldn't figure out the appeal...Plaese to explain?

Comments

• Hey c'mon... the only reason I even picked this up is because you were all fawning over it and posting up jpegs of the joint all up in your expedits. Castillo even had multiple copies for chrisakes....

Seriously, what gives?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

• one tracker....some soft psych moves. Its alright.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    HATERS!

I really don't know what it is about this LP that does it for me. It's heavy in its mellowness, and mellow in its heaviness? It just has the vibes. Intimate and out there, and just plain good. It may be one that doesn't catch on instantly, but it will get under your skin if you let it. "Closing My Eyes" and "Oh Well" are the main reasons that side A is always getting a turn.

• HATERS!

I really don't know what it is about this LP that does it for me. It's heavy in its mellowness, and mellow in its heaviness? It just has the vibes. Intimate and out there, and just plain good. It may be one that doesn't catch on instantly, but it will get under your skin if you let it. "Closing My Eyes" and "Oh Well" are the main reasons that side A is always getting a turn.

Alright, alright

I'll spark up another J and give it another go-round...

Yo D**e, whaddya know about that

Coal Kitchen "Bumpin In the Kitchen" b/w "Chained to the Train of Love" 45 (Sunday records)?

Is this a Chi Town thang?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Mr. Monkey, Do you have the other Peter Green stuff? That's important for us to know.

• "Green Manlishi(with the two pronged crown)" is THE Peter Green shit....

• Mr. Monkey, Do you have the other Peter Green stuff? That's important for us to know.

Surely you jest....

uh... of course not...

Actually, I have "English Rose" which is pretty good. Other than that, strictly Rumours, son...

Alright, alright

Always a good way to give it a go.

Coal Kitchen "Bumpin In the Kitchen" b/w "Chained to the Train of Love" 45 (Sunday records)?

I know not of this one, I don't think. What's it like?

Mr. Monkey, Do you have the other Peter Green stuff? That's important for us to know.

Surely you jest....

uh... of course not...

Actually, I have "English Rose" which is pretty good. Other than that, strictly Rumours, son...

Don't sleep on Tusk, son.

English Rose and Then Play On are my PG era favorites. I'm gonna put on Albatross right now. Dude has the best Fender Strat sound evar.

• Alright, alright

Always a good way to give it a go.

This is a piece I got from Carfagna a few years ago. No info on the label regarding location. Recorded in 1973. Midtempo funk, not a dancefloor filler or anything but a good spin at the crib or when you're warming up and people are still getting their drink on.

Look out for it on eBay starting tomorrow...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    HATERS!

I'm in your corner. DC is the Brain Supreme.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "Green Manlishi(with the two pronged crown)"

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Other than that, strictly Rumours, son...

If all goes well I will never in my life hear this fucking record

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "Green Manlishi(with the two pronged crown)"

Was this track originally 45-only or what?? It took me years just to find it on a comp...

Other than that, strictly Rumours, son...

If all goes well I will never in my life hear this fucking record

You cannot deny the universe rulingness of Rumors.

• everywhere. tango in the night. has no business being that good.
    tusk. the shit.

DREAMS DREAMS DREAMS DREAMS DREAMS DREAMS

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    All you Peter Green heads should cop the
    Live In Boston 1969 sets- there are a million
    pressings, but a complete/official/restored
    one was released fairly recently ... I am NOT
    a rock-bootleg junkie type, ie I am usually happy
    just to have the studio albums by the rock old masters,
    but this is just a great set and will fill that "I need
    more Peter Green" hole so many people have ...

• Alright, what's the deal with Fleetwood Mac's "Then Play On" lp? 

I played it front to back last night and couldn't figure out the appeal...

Plaese to explain?

Only one good track on that album ("Oh Well"), and even THAT goes south in the middle of the track (during the "mellow" portion).

As far as the band in general, if Peter Green ain't there, then I ain't buyin'. (And I know Then Play On has Green on it, but a weak song from this album is way better than a strong track from Tusk.) To me, the essential Green-era Fleetwood Mac is on their first two (in the US, anyway), Fleetwood Mac and English Rose (which Epic later combined into one two-record set, Black Magic Woman).

Waitaminit, almost forgot about two other essential Mac albums from that time, volumes one and two of Blues Jam In Chicago (also recombined into one album, Fleetwood Mac In Chicago).

• Yo D**e, whaddya know about that

This is a piece I got from Carfagna a few years ago. No info on the label regarding location. Recorded in 1973. Midtempo funk, not a dancefloor filler or anything but a good spin at the crib or when you're warming up and people are still getting their drink on.

The Coalkitchen I know of was from the Chicago area, with one album on Epic to my knowledge (Thirsty Or Not, Choose Your Poison). I've seen an old Chitown music magazine from around the time the album came out ('76 or '77) which compared them to Mother's Finest, since both were interracial rock-soul bands that recorded for Epic. But unlike Coalkitchen, MF had some minor success.

I think one member (Pauli Carman) went on to be in that sappy quiet-storm band from the '80s, Champaign (their hit "How 'Bout Us" is a major guilty pleasure for me...). Carman also had a Columbia solo album or two, in a Jheri-curl modern-soul vein, if that's your thing...

• Yo D**e, whaddya know about that

The Coalkitchen I know of was from the Chicago area, with one album on Epic to my knowledge (Thirsty Or Not, Choose Your Poison). I've seen an old Chitown music magazine from around the time the album came out ('76 or '77) which compared them to Mother's Finest, since both were interracial rock-soul bands that recorded for Epic. But unlike Coalkitchen, MF had some minor success.

I think one member (Pauli Carman) went on to be in that sappy quiet-storm band from the '80s, Champaign (their hit "How 'Bout Us" is a major guilty pleasure for me...). Carman also had a Columbia solo album or two, in a Jheri-curl modern-soul vein, if that's your thing...

Cool. Thanks, I appreciate the info. Based on your description, this sounds like it could very possibly be the same group

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The history of Fleetwood Mac is stuff of legend. The guitar players have all ,at some time or another, gone bonkers. Peter Green was unknowingly slipped some acid in his drink at a party and it really f'd him up. He could no longer deal with the success of the band and jumped shipped. One of the later guitarists Bob Welch said he hung out with Green a few years after he left the band and he had a piece of cheese in his hair that looked like it was there for some time.

The history of Fleetwood Mac is stuff of legend. The guitar players have all ,at some time or another, gone bonkers. Peter Green was unknowingly slipped some acid in his drink at a party and it really f'd him up. He could no longer deal with the success of the band and jumped shipped. One of the later guitarists Bob Welch said he hung out with Green a few years after he left the band and he had a piece of cheese in his hair that looked like it was there for some time.

You are here and warm
    But I could look away and youd be gone
    Cause we live in a time
    When meaning falls in splinters from our lives
    And thats why Ive travelled far
    Cause I come so together where you are

And all of the things that I said that I wanted
    Come rushing by in my head when Im with you
    14 joys and a will to be merry
    And all of the things that we say are very
    Sentimental gentle wind
    Blowing through my life again
    Sentimental lady
    Gentle one

Lindsey Buckingham ate Stevie Nicks' witch-pussy.

• Lindsey Buckingham ate Stevie Nicks' witch-pussy.

Lucky Bastard!

• I think one member (Pauli Carman) went on to be in that sappy quiet-storm band from the '80s, Champaign (their hit "How 'Bout Us" is a major guilty pleasure for me...). Carman also had a Columbia solo album or two, in a Jheri-curl modern-soul vein, if that's your thing...

Coal Kitchen were from Champaign-Urbana, IL.
    Members Michael Day and Paulie Carman went on to form Champaign, a name based on their hometown, not the bubbly.

• "Green Manlishi(with the two pronged crown)"

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

Corrosion of Conformity - Eye for An Eye

real real headz know the deal

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Members Michael Day and Paulie Carman went on to form Champaign, a name based on their hometown, not the bubbly.

betcha bozak!

• bozakbozak 334 Posts

champaign represent

The woman with partial Asian heritage in the band worked a floor below me last year. nice lady.