Ennio Morricone Appreciation

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
The Grammys are going to give him a life time achievement award to make up for the fact that they have never given him any award.If I was on the Grammy committee, and someone pointed out that Ennio Morricone had never received a Grammy I would say "lets just dissolve the whole Grammy thing. Obviously this is not working."Please tell me Lalo Schifrin and Quincy Jones have won Grammys.

Comments

• EM played NYC on Sat night - 1st US show ever? Anyways, 200 piece orchesta and 100 person choir. I haven't read any reviews. I don't know how it could have been anything but epic.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    EM played NYC on Sat night - 1st US show ever? Anyways, 200 piece orchesta and 100 person choir. I haven't read any reviews. I don't know how it could have been anything but epic.

• lamaslamas 39 Posts
    he won a Grammy for The Untouchables. you're thinking of the Academy Awards

he won a Grammy for The Untouchables. you're thinking of the Academy Awards

Exactly right. Thank you. Oscars, even dumber than the Grammys.

• Hey Dan,
    How are you? Long time...I have a question for you or for anyone. Is there a soundtrack for The Great Silence? It's a spaghetti western from the 70's...I just wanna know if Ennio Morricone produce the soundtrack and if there was one made for the movie.

thx,
    amir

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Yknow.. this is funny.. 2 appreciation threads for a couple of my favorite artists on the strut on the same day. Ennio Morricone, has a career and discography that I'd love to have. He's not only ahead of his time, but timeless. Teamed with Sergio Leone he created some of the most aurally pleasing cimematic lamdscapes.

I'd like to give a big dissappreciation to this new Sony album.

I mean Celine Dion can appreciate Ennio, but I don't have to like it is all.

- spidey

Hey Dan,
    How are you? Long time...I have a question for you or for anyone. Is there a soundtrack for The Great Silence? It's a spaghetti western from the 70's...I just wanna know if Ennio Morricone produce the soundtrack and if there was one made for the movie.

thx,
    amir

Yes, Morricone, and an Italian pressing. Il Grande Silenzio 1968 Parade Records Italy. Good luck. Archdd has one for about 250 on gemm. That's cheap for them, and might be a good price for that record. Maybe there is an inexpensive reissue. I'd love to hear it.

It looks like there is also a cd:

Yknow.. this is funny.. 2 appreciation threads for a couple of my favorite artists on the strut on the same day. Ennio Morricone, has a career and discography that I'd love to have. He's not only ahead of his time, but timeless. Teamed with Sergio Leone he created some of the most aurally pleasing cimematic lamdscapes.

I'd like to give a big dissappreciation to this new Sony album.

I mean Celine Dion can appreciate Ennio, but I don't have to like it is all.

- spidey

Yo Yo Ma did a whole record of Morricone. I love my Ma.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    So much music, ive got mad appreciation for Ennio's stuff. Does anybody know how many soundtracks he actually worked on? 100s??

• I just recently saw the movie and the soundtrack is CRAZY! However, the archdd guy is selling a VG+ copy for $256...if i am going to pay that much for a record it's gotta be mint. thanks for the info!

amir

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• So much music, ive got mad appreciation for Ennio's stuff. Does anybody know how many soundtracks he actually worked on? 100s??

I'd rather say about 300 !

So much music, ive got mad appreciation for Ennio's stuff. Does anybody know how many soundtracks he actually worked on? 100s??

Besides doing 100s of soundtracks on tight timetables, he does his own orchestration. Most cats rough it out and give it a copiest to write out all the parts, but EM writes them himself.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    One of his latest movies he did was "U Turn", which was awesome and recommended

• Here are my favorite Enio Morricone LPs

THE FEED-BACK LP (rare as hen??s teeth fuzzed out breaks for days feast)

CHI L??HA VISTA MORIRE (spooked out childrens choir and heavy catolic vibes on this one)

IL SORRISO DEL GRANDE TENTATORE (heavy psych prog with very dark vibes, also on a catholic tip, the best of them in my opinion)

OPPOSTE ESPERIENZE (also a weird spooky library)

UCCELLO PIUME DI CRISTALLO aka The bird with the crystal plummage (weird eeerie dark stuff, reissh and US press should be cheaper)

CITTA VIOLENTA (with the psych funk top track "Svolta Definitiva" - also avaliable on a Japanese only 45, PM me if you need a copy)

COSA AVETE FATTO A SOLANGE? (best Giallo ever with great psychedelic soundtrack, got an extra of this if you need PM me)
    [/img]

and the JAPANESE 45s for the aformentioned Svolta Definitiva, PAzuzu (theme from the Excorsist II) and the italian 4 mosche di velluto grigio 45.

There is also a 45 called Eat me / splash, can someone hip me to that one?

And The great silence is rather expensive
    http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=250046967242

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Hey Dan,

thx,
    amir

Yes, Morricone, and an Italian pressing. Il Grande Silenzio 1968 Parade Records Italy. Good luck. Archdd has one for about 250 on gemm. That's cheap for them, and might be a good price for that record. Maybe there is an inexpensive reissue. I'd love to hear it.

It looks like there is also a cd:

I am not 100% sure, but I think I came across a German version of this soundtrack as well ("Leichen pflastern seinen Weg").

• So much music, ive got mad appreciation for Ennio's stuff. Does anybody know how many soundtracks he actually worked on? 100s??

i think more than 500

out of control

i think more than 500

out of control

Yeah, when I was working at a record store a couple years back, some people came in with their recently deceased father's soundtrack collection which they sold for a couple hundred bucks. There were better than 150 Morricone LPs in that collection alone.

Needless to say, I spent the next couple months holed up in the back listening to soundtracks and selling them for $$$ on eBay.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Here are my favorite Enio Morricone LPs

THE FEED-BACK LP (rare as hen??s teeth fuzzed out breaks for days feast)

I would love to hear this. Do you know where I could find this? I've only known of one Fuzzy psych track from Morricone, and it was on Mike Patton's Crime and Dissonance compilation. When I get home, I'll upload the track.

another semi-unrelated note:

Have you guys heard the John Zorn interpretation of Morricone? I'm not a big john zorn fan, but Morricone minimalism + Diamanda Galas noise + a Brazillian Freakout = you gotta hear it.

http://files.ofmirroreye.net/mp3/2007-01-21/01-zorn-gundown.mp3

- spidey

• beat no. 1 on this LP is fantastic: