canadian 80s hip hop

2»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    HA!

Masimba is that dude! Still holdin' it down! I'm surprised he's not on soulstrut (Or maybe he is...) One of the nicest dudes around. He has the amazing ability to show you dope tracks off of dollar records!

Man, just thinking about stuff is making me want to do something.

If anyone has anything. And I mean anything (Pic, MP3's, video's, fuck even newspaper clipings) please email me (*) and I'll see if I can (At the very least) do a web site/blog or some shit with it. I don't even wanna make a cent off it. I just have this need to get this archived somewhere. Before I grow old and nobody knows WTF I'm talking about.

Concert Hall what?
    Varsity Arena where?
    Isn't Pimp of the Microphone a snoop record?
    Dope State . WTF Is that? 2 Black Guys? 100 MILES is clothing... I thought it was an NWA rekord!

• PLEASE TO SEND 2 DOPE STATE JACKETS SIZE L.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    here's some more on EQ (and Vancouver's 2 cents)...

from...
    Rising In the West (Vancouver Hip-hop???s Renaissance)
    By Martin Turenne
    August 01, 2002

http://www.exclaim.ca/index.asp?layid=22&csid1=1074

"Before the world started paying attention, the Rascalz were paving the way for the convoy of hip-hop artists that now rumbles non-stop from Lotus Land. A review of the scene???s history shows that the East Van crew was the first group in the city to be signed to a major label, and the first to gain widespread international recognition. ???When it comes to Vancouver, we???re the originators,??? claims Red, the MC-producer who coined the term Van City back in the mid-???90s. ???The only cats that was before us was this group called EQ. Those were the cats that inspired me. They were my heroes.???

Comprised of the Incredible Ease and Quaze, EQ was the first Vancouver hip-hop group to make a dent outside BC, first by playing shows Stateside and then by seeing its video for ???Swellsville??? get rotation on MuchMusic in 1988."

I used to like the video for "Really Livin", or at least I think that's what it was called. MuchMusic needs to go in the archives & dig out this old ish.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

"No, please hold the pickles, thanks"[/b]

Jelleestone says:
    "Hip hop is the common denominator, because you can use any other form of music or sound to make it," he says. "It's the only music you can compact so much information into with only three minutes, and there's no other music that allows that type of exchange of information in that amount of time."

Is this yo boy, HAZ??

• here's some more on EQ (and Vancouver's 2 cents)...

from...
    Rising In the West (Vancouver Hip-hop???s Renaissance)
    By Martin Turenne
    August 01, 2002

http://www.exclaim.ca/index.asp?layid=22&csid1=1074

"Before the world started paying attention, the Rascalz were paving the way for the convoy of hip-hop artists that now rumbles non-stop from Lotus Land. A review of the scene???s history shows that the East Van crew was the first group in the city to be signed to a major label, and the first to gain widespread international recognition. ???When it comes to Vancouver, we???re the originators,??? claims Red, the MC-producer who coined the term Van City back in the mid-???90s. ???The only cats that was before us was this group called EQ. Those were the cats that inspired me. They were my heroes.???

Comprised of the Incredible Ease and Quaze, EQ was the first Vancouver hip-hop group to make a dent outside BC, first by playing shows Stateside and then by seeing its video for ???Swellsville??? get rotation on MuchMusic in 1988."

This sounds dope. Anyways of getting mp3's?

• PLEASE TO SEND 2 DOPE STATE JACKETS SIZE L.

I remember being in grade 8, riding transit to school, and this girl was sitting across from me wearing one. My brain nearly leaked out of my ears.

I remember going to see Maestro at Square One's HMV for a album signing and show, right at the hieght of 'Let Your Backbone Slide', and a near riot broke out when they shut it down due to too many people showing up. My friend Mat and I were caught in the middle. I rolled my ankle pretty bad. Cops came in and cleared the place out. We ended up going to this arcade near old Mississauga Central Library by Hurontario and Dundas, blowing our little money we had on Street Fighter 1, and then calling my dad to pick us up from the library (oh, we lied and said that we would be there all day doing school work). We spent the time waiting for him on the steps to the library, in the semi-blizzard that was starting, rapping the entire 'Adventures of.. Slick Rick' album to an audience of nobody. Ah yeah, good times...

PLEASE TO SEND 2 DOPE STATE JACKETS SIZE L.

I remember being in grade 8, riding transit to school, and this girl was sitting across from me wearing one. My brain nearly leaked out of my ears.

I remember going to see Maestro at Square One's HMV for a album signing and show, right at the hieght of 'Let Your Backbone Slide', and a near riot broke out when they shut it down due to too many people showing up. My friend Mat and I were caught in the middle. I rolled my ankle pretty bad. Cops came in and cleared the place out. We ended up going to this arcade near old Mississauga Central Library by Hurontario and Dundas, blowing our little money we had on Street Fighter 1, and then calling my dad to pick us up from the library (oh, we lied and said that we would be there all day doing school work). We spent the time waiting for him on the steps to the library, in the semi-blizzard that was starting, rapping the entire 'Adventures of.. Slick Rick' album to an audience of nobody. Ah yeah, good times...

OH SHIT... I was there that day!!! I'm from the west end and I can remember going and showing up and just knowing there was no way in hell I was getting in that crowd.

Man. MEMORIESSSS

Is this thread dead?

Where are the old school toronto cats?

Ohh look what I decided to post on my wall!! I still remember the day this was given to us!

Can any dudes remember both spots in the same building? I always prefered upstairs!!

I'll have to post some more stuff when I come back from a trip to my cottage. Might have some more tings in boxes stored there!