A Question for the Real Schitt Reprezentativez

Comments

• what do you guys say to the theory that those masta ace records were satirical?

Slaughtahouse was absolutely satirical. The skit in the classroom with the teacher telling the kids they need to get a glock 9mm? The title track? ridiculously tongue-in-cheek.

Sure, but I don't think that's what Noz was referring to. His satirical intent was so clear there that I doubt Noz would call that interpretation a "theory".

But "Sittin' On Chrome"? I don't see it.

agreed. Just a thought, wasn't this album towards the end of the whole 'jeep beat' era?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Keep in mind this is a dude who started his whole career rapping with a paper mache dummy so who knows?

Me & the Biz was like 5 years into his career.

Wha..? I'm not knowing then. I always thought that was his first "hit" record.

(I'm talking about his solo career post "Symphony")

Letter to The Better/Together/Simon Says/Symphony/Music Man/Go Where I Send Thee...were radio joints.
    All on Cold Chillin. And he toured w/ the Juice Crew before Me & The Biz.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    To me that sounds better now than i imagine it would have at the time; compare to Kool G Rap's 4,5,6 which came out the same year, and imagine if he had tried to go in the same direction, modern NY filtered-bass mid 90s shit, it prob would have been overshadowed by G Rap right?

to me this album stands out and is real unique for new york rap from the period, which in some way makes it seem 'better' than it 'really is,' which sounds silly and meaningless but what i'm saying is context is a lot of the reason why this sounds like its 'held up' so well to me. Not that I claim to have heard it when it dropped, but it sounds more modern than 4,5,6 even if 4,5,6 is objectively 'better'

Can you "cram" any more "quotation marks" into this "post"?

three sets of quotes in two paragraphs is a lot?

b/w

paltry trolling at best, 'plaese be serious'

And engage you on the subject of whether or not it seems "better" than it "really is"?

Keep in mind this is a dude who started his whole career rapping with a paper mache dummy so who knows?

Me & the Biz was like 5 1 year into his career.

If u mark him by his Delicious Vinyl output your so.......

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Letter to The Better/Together/Simon Says/Symphony/Music Man/Go Where I Send Thee...were radio joints in NY[/b].

I'm just saying, his first "hit" record that got nationwide radio and video play was "Me and the Biz". My comment was meant more as a joke to tie in the satire part.

But regardless -

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

He had a 12" out as "Ace & Action" on Prism. I'm impressed that he's still doing his thing. Not many Juice Crew dudes are still out there. And I can't hate on "Me & The Biz" or his first 2 records. I'm surprised that Mr. Rillz was not more familiar with dude prior to "Born To Roll". His debut is a solid, well regarded lp and I can't see anyone hating on Slaughterhouse either. He kinda reminds me of De La Soul in the way he's been able to reinvent himself & sustain his career over the years.

He had a 12" out as "Ace & Action" on Prism. I'm impressed that he's still doing his thing. Not many Juice Crew dudes are still out there. And I can't hate on "Me & The Biz" or his first 2 records. I'm surprised that Mr. Rillz was not more familiar with dude prior to "Born To Roll". His debut is a solid, well regarded lp and I can't see anyone hating on Slaughterhouse either. He kinda reminds me of De La Soul in the way he's been able to reinvent himself & sustain his career over the years.

I can see where cats who followed him from his Wbls/Juice Crew days would/could be thrown off by his "WestCoast" venture.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    And engage you on the subject of whether or not it seems "better" than it "really is"?
    thats why i used the quotes, it was an acknowledgement of contradiction there! i was saying, context is part of why that album's so interesting, why i want to listen to it instead of generic west coast albums trying to be west coast, its more interesting to find a classic-yet-overlooked juice crew cat doing west coast and choosing that particular style of west coast (plus possibly miami???) rap music vs. kool g rap trying to do newer east coast.

• I interviewed Ace a few years back and he said that he's always been into car culture, so it didn't seem like a stretch to him to make "Born To Roll" and "Sittin' On Chrome." Plenty of NY dudes seemed to think he was buggin', though.

He then went on to tell me that he was considering buying a Dodge Magnum. I can respect that.

I like both of his first two albums a lot... but Take a Look Around was too obscure to have reached me as a thirteen year old in Atlanta when it was released, and nothing about "Born to Roll" made me want to check out Slaughtahouse, when I heard it two or three years later. None of the people I hung out with were really checking for dude at that time. When we saw the "Born to Roll" video, me and my best friend snickered and agreed that it was probably the type of record that they played at the skating rink his little brother went to.

I found a copy of Take a Look Around not too long after "Sittin' On Chrome" hit, took a chance on it, was amazed, and immediately bought the next two albums, only one of which (Slaughtahouse) I liked.

• Hello everybody.

My 2 cents here for what its worth: As much as I liked Slaughterhouse when it came out it was painfully obvious that he was making fun of the west coast at the time, and pumpin some New York Jeep shit agenda. Which was cool but i mean, fake jherri curls and all it really wasn't the east coast/west coast olive branch yall are painting out to be. At least it never seemed that way to me. Then when they dropped the new version, same as Jeep Ass Niggah with the part that kind of dissed latinos suspiciously missing and reworked it over that Original Concept beat I was like huh?
    Damn yo, they got the wrong Dr. Dre..hahaha.

Funny that only like .001% of people who like that track know its just the rhymes over an original concept interlude. It seemed like Ace played himself at the time to me as it was obviously done for a label trying to follow musical trends and make money of the west coast production movement of that time. Dudes looked mad out of place in the video at that car show with those wack ass jerseys.

Just MHO. but nevertheless the internet has an uncanny way of rewriting history.

• Keep in mind this is a dude who started his whole career rapping with a paper mache dummy so who knows?

Letter to The Better/Together/Simon Says/Symphony/Music Man/Go Where I Send Thee...were radio joints.

yeah, but these all came out after Symphony which was '88 and his first album dropped in '90. Me & The Biz was 2 years into his career (on cold chillin)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    His debut is a solid, well regarded lp and I can't see anyone hating on Slaughterhouse either. He kinda reminds me of De La Soul in the way he's been able to reinvent himself & sustain his career over the years.

I like both of his first two albums a lot... and Take a Look Around wasn't too obscure to have reached me as a twelve year old in Aachen, Germany when it was released. Thanks to a good record store!

yeah, but these all came out after Symphony which was '88 and his first album dropped in '90. Me & The Biz was 2 years into his career (on cold chillin)

He was doin promos on the radio before Symphony and I saw an Apollo show where he sported a Kufi way before Symphony. The show where Biz comes out of a giant nose and does Pickin Boogers. Easily 87.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    the part that kind of dissed latinos suspiciously missing

"See this Puerto Rican Latin chico rico suave," right? I think those lyrics are still in "Born to Roll."

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Then when they dropped the new version, same as Jeep Ass Niggah with the part that kind of dissed latinos suspiciously missing and reworked it over that Original Concept beat I was like huh?

"see this puerto rican latin chico rico suave..."

and yes, I was right about Original Concept. The wrong Dr. Dre, haha, good one, Thes!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    the internet has an uncanny way of rewriting history.

• Ace was clowning alot of the shit that was popular then, just as de la soul was dissing heads when they used the buffalo gals beat...and that was getting burn on the radio as well.

"here come the craziest n!ggaz on earth"- straight clownin.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I can see where cats who followed him from his Wbls/Juice Crew days would/could be thrown off by his "WestCoast" venture.

I can see this, but I remember being surprised by "Slaughterhouse" when it dropped. There I was expecting a "Take A Look Around" pt. II, figuring this record was going to be his "Taste Of Chocolate/Prince Of Darkness" and dude came out of left field and probably surprised a lot of people. "Slaughterhouse" was a straight diss of popular trends in rap & the west coast gangsta rap phenomenon in particular. I even remember not liking it so much at first cause I was waiting on some Cold Chillin' type ish & got schooled instead. The 3rd record was a departure from the 2nd in that he kinda moved towards the west coast ish he was dissing in "Slaughterhouse". I remember seeing a video for "Born To Roll" and thinking, "Dude disses the west coast and now he's turned into Kid Frost?" Later came "Disposable Arts" and the "Summer?" lp. Each time, this guy has re-invented his sound & tried some new ish. I think he's retired now, but I'm not sure.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

"here come the craziest n!ggaz on earth"- straight clownin.

"I only wear black, and I don't know how to act!"

That video is fucking hilarious, too...dudes acting all psycho stabbing sides of beef. The whole track is genius.

Sittin On Chrome is Masta Ase Inc themselves doing the rhymin&production. Mostly in house.

America's Most Wanted & Live and Let Die were MCs w/ other regional production. OutHouse....

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i think i still have a colored 12" of "saturday nite"...Actually its a transparent vinyl. Good memories...

i think i still have a colored 12" of "saturday nite"...Actually its a transparent vinyl. Good memories...

Do ya mean Jeep Ass Ni**a? with the Bizapella?

I have that on clear vinyl.

But wasn't "Sittin' on Chrome" actually pressed on metallic-colored vinyl?

I have that on clear vinyl.

OOPs- my bad...

Yes Sittin on Chrome is pressed on Silver Metallic Vinyl.....

• But wasn't "Sittin' on Chrome" actually pressed on metallic-colored vinyl?
    OOPs- my bad...

Yes Sittin on Chrome is pressed on Silver Metallic Vinyl.....

But hey, I love the fact that I got a CHROME vinyl in my collection!

promo only - I only got it cause I was doing college radio at the time.

No wonder. I had to Ebay that shit. I never saw it when it came out until EGOTRIP had that crazy basement photo.

No wonder. I had to Ebay that shit. I never saw it when it came out until EGOTRIP had that crazy basement photo.
    yeah, it's pretty tough to find. Delicious Vinyl did a couple LPs like that - Labcabincalifornia was another one that they did a special radio promo on colored double vinyl, and instead of liner notes on the back they shouted out all the radio DJs that they had been working with (I got a shoutout!)

RAER

crap, now I wish I wasn't such a nice guy and hadn't given my second copy to a friend back in the day.