James Brown Female Revue

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited June 2016 in Music Talk
...so I'm putting together a special of the James Brown Female Revue. I wanted to all give a basic time line of how it went down. This is the best I could come up with my records/cds and some "web searching". anyone care to build or correct on this...sugar pie desanto ('59-'60)tammy montgomery (a.k.a Tammy Terrell) '63anna king '63-'65vicki anderson/myra barnes ( '65-'68 and then '69-'71)marva whitney ('67-'70)lyn collins ('71-'76)yvonne fair (70s)elsie mae (mid 60s)

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yvonne Fair is actually a big early 60's
    one, she had a big hit duet w/James,
    "You Can Make It If You Try" - and he
    was still putting out records on her
    during the Smash years, mid-to-late 60's ...
    I don't think he was still doing her stuff
    in the 70's, when she had a couple minor R&B
    hits for Motown.

• I'm not sure of the timeline, but there was a lady named Martha High. I believe she had a single on Salsoul, "He's My Ding-Dong Man." (I'm going from memory; my info is at home, but if you consult JB's autobio, particularly the discography in the back, there's some High info - she might be mentioned in Fred Wesley's book as well.)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm not sure of the timeline, but there was a lady named Martha High. I believe she had a single on Salsoul, "He's My Ding-Dong Man." (I'm going from memory; my info is at home, but if you consult JB's autobio, particularly the discography in the back, there's some High info - she might be mentioned in Fred Wesley's book as well.)

Martha High released a mid-to-late 70's LP on Salsoul produced by James Brown. I have it somewhere in my collection, it???s not the most remarkable thing, very disco sounding and no real recognizable touches of what I'd like tot call the "James Brown Sound". They did do a cover of ???Summertime??? together (with James singing). IMO it???s the highlight of their work together

• I'm not sure of the timeline, but there was a lady named Martha High. I believe she had a single on Salsoul, "He's My Ding-Dong Man." (I'm going from memory; my info is at home, but if you consult JB's autobio, particularly the discography in the back, there's some High info - she might be mentioned in Fred Wesley's book as well.)

she made an appearance on Future Shock(1976)....sang a ballady tune.

• marva whitney ('67-'70)
    )

Was definitely the hottest...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Martha High was with JB all the way from 1964-96. I saw her with Lyn Collins at the Jazz Cafe in 2005 and she was phenomenal. That disco record she made is forgettable.

• Martha High was with JB all the way from 1964-96. I saw her with Lyn Collins at the Jazz Cafe in 2005 and she was phenomenal. That disco record she made is forgettable.

I actually like a couple of tracks off that Salsoul album.. The 12" to look out for is "Ding Dong Man" b/w "Showdown." I've gotten good responses playing "Ding Dong Man" out, and "Showdown" has a crazy breakdown on it.

I think JB also had a lady named TV Mama on some of his tours. I have a picture of her around here somewhere..

• Other JB ladies:

Wendy Lynn - 60's
    Kay Robinson - 60's
    Anna King - 60's
    The Jewels - 60's
    Carol Blakey - 60's (Also Carolyn?)
    Roberta DuBois - 60's (also with the Sisters of Righteous)
    the Brownetts - 60's
    June Sims - 60's
    Shirley Jean - 70's
    Gloria Walker (not James produced, but on People)

Martha High also did a single as a group called Martha & The lazers (Polydor) & a duet with James also on Polydor

• There's a two cd 2 comp called something like James Browns Funky Divas which has plenty of good tracks to choose from.

Dress

• marva whitney ('67-'70)
    )

Was definitely the hottest...

everyone to their own opinion, but personally im a lyn collins man

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    The Jewels - 60's

who were in the Jewels? I've convinced myself that I hear Vick Anderson in there somewhere.

Waht's up with Marie Queenie Lyons?
    Her LP is a JB production, was she part of the revue?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Other JB ladies:

Kay Robinson - 60's

KR has a straight gospel lp on People. Produced by Dave Matthews. It is straight up gospel vocal and piano.

Did she do any singing with James Brown or his band?

• The Jewels - 60's

who were in the Jewels? I've convinced myself that I hear Vick Anderson in there somewhere.

Well, on The James Brown Show LP, The Jewels and Vicki Anderson are on the LP with seperate performances...there are also pics, but The Jewels pic has one lady obscured and one with her back to the camera...The Vicki alone pic has her wearing a different dress than the Jewels. On the tunes, The Jewels lead singer sounds a lot like Vicki, but alot more subdued...Vicki screams her ass off on her track...but there is a difference in the vocals, maybe...I dont know...I hope all of this ambiguous info was helpful, it wasnt? great!

• Did she do any singing with James Brown or his band?

I thought was on the the Stars of Tomorrow record

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm not sure of the timeline, but there was a lady named Martha High. I believe she had a single on Salsoul, "He's My Ding-Dong Man." (I'm going from memory; my info is at home, but if you consult JB's autobio, particularly the discography in the back, there's some High info - she might be mentioned in Fred Wesley's book as well.)

Martha High sang with JB for over 30 years from the mid-60s to the mid-90s. I saw her in 2005 with Lyn Collins and she was incredible. That Salsoul track is utterly forgettable though...

Did she do any singing with James Brown or his band?

I thought was on the the Stars of Tomorrow record

Nope - just Vickie & Marva.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Boom.

Also, like Pickwick said: the last few pages of JB's biography (read with a nuclear filter) have something useful: an almost-complete discography of all his solo and production work. Pick that shit up and use it as a checklist.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Has anyone ever heard "I Sing Soul"? Damn, I'd love to get my hands on that...

• Vicki screams her ass off on her track...

which reminds me...ever notice how just about ALL the females in the JB revue always screamed their ass off? just out of their range? right up to his death...tomi rae hynie used to have that strident wail as well. same with the uncredited female who duets with james on "the right time" (from his 1983 album, Bring It On!).

jb must have forced them to wail like that, because (a) all of his female singers tended to sound like the one before her (marva-vicki-lyn especially), and (b) ive heard marva whitney's later recordings on excello, after she'd left jb, and for once she's quieted down some.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

That's not a Brown production, just on a King subsidiary.

Here's reviews of all the J.B. Production 45s with femals that I have plus a list of a couple others that I either haven't reviewed yet or don't have.

VICKI ANDERSON
    Answer To Mother Popcorn (I Got A Mother For You)/I???ll Work It Out (King 69)
    This is probably the hardest Vicki Anderson 45 to find. Anderson, real name Myra Barnes, joined the James Brown Revue in 1965. She had already recorded a single for Fontana when James Brown stole her away from her manager. Brown always thought she was the best female singer he ever had in his show. Answer To Mother Popcorn starts off with some hi pitched guitar notes before Ms. Anderson???s vocals join in. The song is mid-tempo Funk with a bouncy bass line and horn accents in typical James Brown fashion. I???ll Work It Out is a slow RnB ballad.

VICKI ANDERSON
    Baby, Don't You Know/Let It Be Me (King 70)
    In 1970 Vicki Anderson rejoined the James Brown revue after a three year hiatus. She came in and replaced Marva Whitney who had just left. Baby, Don't You Know was originally released in 1967. It???s a mid paced proto-funk song with stabbing horns. Let It Be Me is a really upbeat soul song with some strong vocals by Ms. Anderson. James Brown even threw in a couple lines at the end.

VICKI ANDERSON
    Don???t Throw Your Love In The Garbage Can (Brownstone 72)
    Don???t Throw Your Love In The Garbage Can begins with a little message to women by Ms. Anderson to not waste their love on bad men. In fact the garbage can in the title refers to men. The song has some great lyrics to go with a slow grooving Soul-Funk tune. This was also the last single that Anderson recorded for Brown before her second retirement.

VICKI ANDERSON
    I???ll Work It Out/In The Land Of Milk And Honey (Brownstone 71)
    In The Land Of Milk And Honey is one of Vicki Anderson???s best recordings. It has the short solo vocals before the subtle music leads into the more upbeat groove of the heart of the song. I???ll Work It Out is a slow RnB ballad with a spoken word intro by Ms. Anderson about relationship problems. Dave Matthews arranged both songs.

VICKI ANDERSON
    I???m Too Tough For Mr. Big Stuff/Sound Funky (Brownstone 71)
    I???m Too Tough For Mr. Big Stuff was a reply to Jean Knight???s hit Mr. Big Stuff. The song has a catchy backing track, a nice intro, and Ms. Anderson???s rough vocals over the top to combine for a great tune. Sound Funky starts off with some piano and loud distorted guitar in a very un-James Brown sounding instrumental. It does hold up however.

VICKI ANDERSON
    If You Don???t Give Me What I Want (I Gotta Get It Some Other Place)/Tears Of Joy (King 67)
    If You Don???t Give Me What I Want was written by James Brown and Vicki Anderson???s new husband Bobby Byrd, who she married in 1967. It has a title you would expect from that pair. The song has a great swinging dance beat to it with Anderson???s great singing over it. Tears Of Joy is a ballad.

VICKI ANDERSON
    Message From The Soul Sisters/Yesterday (King 71)
    Message From The Soul Sisters originally came out in 1970 with Anderson recording under her real name Myra Barnes. In 1971 James Brown had the song released again with a new B-side, a cover of the Beatles??? Yesterday. Message is right up there with the best of Ms. Anderson???s work with Brown. You???ve got the swinging Funk beat with piano accents and Anderson???s strong singing making one hell of a tune backed by the Bootsy Collins era James Brown band. The flipside is a live power-ballad version of the Beatles??? tune.

VICKI ANDERSON
    No More Heartaches, No More Pain (King 70)
    No More Heartaches, No More Pain hits you right where it counts with its high energy, high powered Soul. It has a funky big band backing and Ms. Anderson comes through with her usually strong singing. This is a really hot James Brown production.

VICKI ANDERSON
    (Something Moves Me) Within My Heart/You Send Me (King 66)
    (Something Moves Me) Within My Heart starts off with some open drums before going into a string heavy early-60s Soul song. The flipside is a cover of Sam Cooke???s You Send Me. This is an early release by Anderson.

VICKI ANDERSON
    Yesterday (King 71)
    This is a live recording of Vicki Anderson doing the Beatles??? classic Yesterday with arrangement by Dave Matthews. The song is played slow and mellow and Ms. Anderson gets to stretch her vocals out a bit in moments. If it wasn???t Anderson and a James Brown production, however, I???m not sure I would???ve bought this 45.

VICKI ANDERSON AND JAMES BROWN
    Think/Nobody Cares (King 67)
    This isn???t the Lyn Collins version of Think that most people know, but rather James Brown???s version, which was released in the mid-1960s. This actually has James and Vicki singing a duet of Think with a nice driving soul beat. The B-side is a slower RnB tune.

VICKI ANDERSON & JAMES BROWN
    What The World Needs Now Is Love/You???ve Got The Power (King 68)
    The quest for James Brown related 45s continues with this being the latest addition. For something released in 1968, this single definitely has an earlier RnB sound to it beginning with You???ve Got The Power that???s a power ballad with Brown doing the first verse and then passing off the vocal duties to Ms. Anderson before the two start singing a duet. The flipside is a cover of the Burt Bacharach classic What The World Needs Now Is Love by Vicki Anderson alone, making for a mellow two-sider.

MYRA BARNES
    Message From The Soul Sisters Pt. I & II (King 70)
    Myra Barnes was Vicki Anderson???s real name. This was recorded in 1970, the year she returned to the James Brown revue after a three year hiatus. Both of her recordings under her real name were done with the Bootsy Collins era James Brown band. Message From The Soul Sisters is one of her more classic recordings. The track was also released under Anderson???s own name on another King 45. Multiple releases of the same song seemed to be a habit of Mr. Brown???s 45s productions. The tune itself has a strong rhythm led by the bass with some piano and horn accents. Over that are Anderson???s raspy vocals, which fit perfectly with the lyrics about her not taking mess from a man.

MYRA BARNES
    Super Good (Answer To Super Bad) Pt. 1 & 2 (King 71)
    Super Good highlights the pure funkiness of Brown???s new band led by Bootsy Collins, and Anderson???s vocals. The song has the stripped down rhythm of Brown???s perfected Funk and a bridge in the middle that sounds just like the one used in Marva Whitney???s It???s My Thing. James even gets in some vocal encouragements at the end.

CAROLYN BLAKEY
    Man Came Down From The Mountain/Tomorrow???s Child (King)
    I didn???t even know about Carol Blakey until very recently. Man Came Down From The Mountain starts with some high-pitched singing before going into a Gospel influenced Soul song. Tomorrow???s Child is more of the same. Both songs actually sound like they belong in a musical like Hair. The 45 has the James Brown Production label on it, but Steve Baron actually produced both tracks.

JAMES BROWN & LYN COLLINS
    This Guy ??? This Girl???s In Love/What My Baby Needs Now Is A Little More Lovin (Polydor 72)
    James Brown wanted to show his soft side on this duet single with Lyn Collins. They open up with a laid back, yet soulful cover of the Burt Bacharach tune This Guy ??? This Girl???s In Love. Brown, Collins and Dave Matthews wrote What My Baby Needs Now, which has the same kind of loungey-Top 40 sound as the A-side.

JAMES BROWN & LYN COLLINS
    What My Baby Needs Now Is A Little More Lovin (Polydor 72)
    What My Baby Needs Now Is A Little More Lovin is a duet between James Brown and Lyn Collins. The song is poppy Soul that lacks any kind of hooks or power to really catch your attention. You would think that those two could???ve come up with something better to work with.

LYN COLLI NS
    Baby Don???t Do It/If You Don???t Know Me By Now (People 75)
    This 45 comes from Lyn Collins??? Check Me Out If You Don???t Know Me By Now LP. Baby Don???t Do It has a laid back swinging Funk backing track to it. If You Don???t Know Me By Now is a cover of the Gamble and Huff Soul classic. Neither song is that hot, but I???m a completist so I had to have the 45.

LYN COLLINS
    Don???t Make Me Over/Take Me Just As I Am (People 73)
    Take Me Just As I Am is on Lyn Collins??? Female Preacher LP. Don???t Make Me Over might be a 45 only release but I don???t know why they would want to make a single out of it because it???s a slow ballad like song. The B-side is some of that James Brown produced funk with Lyn Collins demanding her man take her just as she is. (In fact, this song was released as a JB???s instrumental if my ear serves me right). I like how this label says JAMES BROWN ??? THE HITMAN ??? THE GODFATHER OF SOUL. James was never one for modesty.

LYN COLLINS
    Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose/What The World Needs Now Is Love (People 74)
    Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose is Collins??? doing a cover of one of her mentor, James Brown???s numbers. The song is re-arranged however, allowing Collins??? to give her own interpretation to this Brown classic. I have to say the results are just as good as the original. This song can also be found on the Female Preacher LP. The B-side is a 45 only release, and good thing it is because it???s a cover of the love song/easy listening classic.

LYN COLLINS
    How Long Can I Keep It Up Part I & II (People 73)
    How Long Can I Keep It Up is from the Slaughter???s Big Rip Off OST. It???s a slow and easy tune with a lot of strings and orchestration behind it. If I wasn???t so much into collecting JB???s 45s I probably wouldn???t have bought this.

LYN COLLINS
    Mama Feelgood/Fly Me To The Moon (People 73)
    This version of Mama Feelgood is taken from the Black Caesar soundtrack and is on mono. The flipside, Fly Me To The Moon, is in stereo. The A-side is a classic that everyone knows. The surprise was the flipside which is just as good as it slides back and forth between soul and funk.

LYN COLLINS
    Me And My Baby Got A Good Thing Going/I???ll Never Let You Break My Heart Again (People 72)
    About 6 years ago I picked up one of Lyn Collins??? LPs at the Paris flea market. That???s about the last time I saw one of her records in a store. You can find her singles however. Me And My Baby Got A Good Thing Gong is from her Female Preacher LP, while the flip seems to be a 45 only release. Me And My Baby Got A Good Thing Going sounds like a JB???s song. The flip isn???t as good, and lacks the driving beat of a James Brown production. I like how on the label it says ??? JAMES BROWN ??? THE CREATOR.

LYN COLLINS
    Mr. Big Stuff/Rock Me Again & Again & Again & Again & Again & Again (People 74)
    James Brown and Lyn Collins start off this 45 by giving a go at Jean Knight???s hit Mr. Big Stuff. Their take is a little faster, but lacks some of the soul of the original. Not that it???s bad, but it just seems to be missing something. The song only really gets down half way through when an original bridge brings some Funk to the tune. Collins does much better with the original Rock Me Again & Again with its driving beat and hard-hitting vocals. This 45 comes from Collins??? Check Me Out LP.

LYN COLLINS
    Oh Uncle Sammy (Polydor 71)
    Oh Uncle Sammy is a 45 only Lyn Collins track that was the product of the collaboration between James Brown and Dave Matthews who wrote and produced the song. It has a great funky beginning and Ms. Collins??? usual strong singing making this an excellent single.

LYN COLLINS
    Please Make The World A Better Place/Take Me Just As I Am (People 73)
    Take Me Just As I Am is one of those dark and funky pieces that really let Lyn Collins??? vocals shine and James Brown???s production style show through. A pure head knocker. Please Make The World A Better Place is a ballad

LYN COLLINS
    Think (About It)/Ain???t No Sunshine (People 72)
    It took me a damn long time to find this. I actually have the album, which might be harder to find than the single, but I wanted it on 45 as well. Is it just me or could Think be one of the greatest songs of all time? I???m willing to say that it???s the best thing James Brown ever did. The singing, the horns, the drum break! Ain???t No Sunshine is a really Bluesy version of the Bill Withers standard.

LYN COLLINS
    We Want To Parrty, Parrty, Parrty/You Can???t Beat Two People In Love (People 73)
    Lyn Collins was one of the many women such as Vicki Anderson and Tammi Terrell, who were members of James Brown???s Review. We Want To Parrty is from Collins??? Female Preacher LP. It???s a pretty good funk number although I think she did some better work. The B-side is a 45 only song, and, as you can tell from the title, is a love song, but it???s got a little funk to it. It???s a nice mood piece and the drums are turned up nice and loud in the mix at the beginning before the James and Collins sing a duet to each other. It also has some horn stabs to keep it interesting.

LYN COLLINS
    Wheels Of Life (King 71)
    Wheels Of Life starts off with a nice drum break before going into a rockin little Soul tune. Ms. Collins??? vocals are strong as ever and the song is really catchy.

LYN COLLINS
    Wide Awake In A Dream/Rock Me Again & Again & Again & Again & Again & Again (People 74)
    Rock Me Again has one of those infectious beats driving it along that make it an instant crowd pleaser. Wide Awake In A Dream is a ballad. Dave Matthews arranged both songs and James Brown did the production.

LYN COLLINS
    You Can???t Love Me, If You Don???t Respect Me/Rock Me Again & Again & Again (People 74)
    Two classic cuts by the Female Preacher Lyn Collins from her Check Me Out If You Don???t Know Me By Now LP. The powerful play of the JB???s anchors each song. I like Rock Me Again & Again a little bit better than You Can???t Love Me because it???s a little faster paced, but you really can???t go wrong with either side.

YVONNE FAIR & JAMES BROWN BAND
    I Found You/If I Knew (King 62)
    I Found You was written by James Brown. It???s a good RnB tune with Fair giving a strong vocal performance. Brown liked the song so much he re-recorded it with a stripped down rhythm and it would become his big hit I Got You (I Feel Good). The lyrics to both songs are exactly the same. If I Knew is a slower love song led by the piano.

MARTHA HIGH
    Georgy Girl/Try Me (People 72)
    Martha High was another James Brown artist that I???d never heard of until just now. Both sides are very mellow ballads, perhaps a reason why people haven???t heard of Ms. High.

ELSIE MAE
    Do You Really Want To Rescue Me Part 1 & 2 (King 66)
    Elsie Mae was one of the lesser-known members of James Brown???s Revue. In 1966 she released this 45 with its strong rhythm track and blaring horns during the lead up to the chorus, only to be countered by some light piano work afterwards. That makes for a great combination, and another fine addition to the many James Brown affiliated acts.

SISTERS OF RIGHTEOUS
    My Man Is Gone/That???s How I Feel (King 69)
    Speaking of unknown James Brown artists, Sisters of Righteous are another. Brown did production on this 45, which begins with the slow ballad My Man Is Gone. That???s How I Feel is an upbeat Soul tune with the Sisters??? strong group vocals making for a pretty groovy song.

GLORIA WALKER
    My Precious Love/Papa???s Got The Wagon (People 71)
    Gloria Walker was one of the lesser-known artists on James Brown???s People label. My Precious Love is a love song. Papa???s Got The Wagon is the side to listen to as it???s a slow Funky number with a strong bass line.

MARVA WHITNEY
    All My Love Belongs To You/I???ll Work It Out (King 68)
    This is a mellow two sid er. Both songs are slow MOR Pop tunes. There???s not a hint of James Brown???s Funk, or Ms. Whitney???s trademark vocals on either cut.

MARVA WHITNEY
    Get Out Of My Life/Things Got To Get Better (King 69)
    The arrangement on Get Out Of My Life sounds different from Marva Whitney and James Brown???s usual work. The song has strong hints of Jazz, sounding something like a funkier version of Shirley Bassey perhaps. Things Got To Get Better is much more in tune with Whitney and Brown???s work with a great danceable beat and the horns blaring away in support of the rhythm.

MARVA WHITNEY
    He???s The One/This Girls In Love With You (King 70)
    He???s The One has a restrained, yet funky rhythm to it with a strong RnB backbone to it. You can always count on Marva Whitney???s vocals to be strong on such a track. This Girls In Love With You on the other hand is a power ballad.

MARVA WHITNEY
    I Made A Mistake Because It???s Only You Pt. 1 & 2 (King 69)
    I Made A Mistake Because It???s Only You is one funky ass song with great lyrics about love and one of the thickest James Brown beats ever recorded. Funny enough, Brown would later have Hank Ballard record the song, but with the title From The Love Side. The songs are exactly the same, except for the words on the chorus are different depending upon the title.

MARVA WHITNEY
    I???m Tired, I???m Tired, I???m Tired/If You Love Me (King 68)
    Both of these songs come from Ms. Whitney???s It???s My Thing album. I???m Tired, I???m Tired, I???m Tired is an upbeat, yet mid-tempo song with a light backing track led by the guitar and Marva Whitney???s strong vocals. In the background the band is shouting out encouragement to Ms. Whitney that ads a great feel to the cut as well. If You Love Me is a ballad. Oddly enough I???m Tired, I???m Tired, I???m Tired was released on another King 45 with a different B-side.

MARVA WHITNEY
    Things Got To Get Better (Get Together)/What Kind Of Man (King 68)
    Things Got To Get Better is one of Marva Whitney???s best song with its upbeat tempo, sharp horn stabs and her trademark blaring vocals. What Kind Of Man has more of a Soul-RnB sound to it, but it???s just as good.

MARVA WHITNEY
    What Kind Of Man/Your Love Was Good For Me (King 68)
    What Kind Of Man is a hard-edged RnB song with Ms. Whitney???s strong vocals carrying it along. The tune is from the It???s Your Thing LP. Your Love Was Good For Me is a ballad that was a 45 only release

MARVA WHITNEY
    You Got To Have A Job (If You Don???t Work ??? You Can???t Eat) (King 69)
    You Got To Have A Job might be my all-time favorite Marva Whitney song. It???s a duet with Bobby Byrd with both of them screaming through the vocals. They???re backed by a great Brown Funk track to make a near perfect tune.

Brownettes ??? Never Find A Love Like Mine/Baby Don???t You Know? (King 6153)

Shirley Jean ??? If I Had A Man Like You/People Make The World A Better Place (People 601)

Sisters Of Righteous ??? Hold On To What You Got/My Man Is Gone (King 6324)
    Sisters Of Righteous??? Is My Lovin Too Slow?/That???s How I Feel (King 6294)

Marva Whitney - Tit For Tat (Ain???t No Taking Back)/In The Middle (Part 2) (King 6206)
    Marva Whitney - Unwind Yourself/If You Love Me (King 6146)

Vicki screams her ass off on her track...

which reminds me...ever notice how just about ALL the females in the JB revue always screamed their ass off? just out of their range? right up to his death...tomi rae hynie used to have that strident wail as well. same with the uncredited female who duets with james on "the right time" (from his 1983 album, Bring It On!).

jb must have forced them to wail like that, because (a) all of his female singers tended to sound like the one before her (marva-vicki-lyn especially), and (b) ive heard marva whitney's later recordings on excello, after she'd left jb, and for once she's quieted down some.

It was definitely his style. Of course, I think it was Fred Wesley or maybe Maceo who said that James Brown's "real" style amongst his singers was someone with a fat ass and a full chest!

Here's some other females that JB produced:

Anna King - Back To Soul LP (Smash 1964)

Vicki Anderson - My Man/I Won't Be Back (Fontana 1964)
    Vicki Anderson - I Love You/Nobody Cares (Smash 1965)
    Vicki Anderson - Never, Never, Never Let You Go, Part 1 & 2 (Fontana 1965)
    Vicki Anderson - I Can't Let You Go, Part 1 & 2 (New Breed 1966)
    Vicki Anderson - You Send Me/Within My Heart (King 1966)

Yvonne Fair - I Found You/If I Knew (King 1962)
    Yvonne Faire - Tell me Why/Say So Long (King 1962)
    Yvonne Faire - It Hurts To Be In Love/You Can Make It If You Try (King 1962)
    Yvonne Faire - Tell Me Why/You Can Make It If You Try (KIng 1965)
    Yvonne Faire - Baby Baby Baby/Just As Sure (Smash 1966)

Jewels - This Is My Story/My Song (Smash 1967)
    Jewels - Lookie Lookie Lookie/Smokey Joe's (King 1966)

Anna King - If Somebody Told You/Come And Get These Memories (Smash 1963)
    Anna King & Bobby Byrd - Baby Baby Baby (Smash 1964)
    Anna King - If You Don't Think/Make Up Your Mind (Smash 1964)
    Anna King - Come On Home/Sittin In The Dark (Smash 1964)
    Anna King - That's When I Cry/Tennessee Walts (Smash 1964)

Kay Robinson - Try me/Father/What A Feeling (King 1968)
    Kay Robinson - Lord Will Make A Way Part 1 & 2 (King 1970)
    Kay Robinson - Amazing Grze/This Old World (king 1971)

Marva Whitney - Your Love Was Good For me/Saving My Tie For My Baby (Federal 1967)
    Marva Whitney - If You Love Me/Your Love Was Good For me (King 1967)

Tammy Montgomer - I Cried/If You Don't Think (Try Me 1963)

Irma Thomas - It's A Man's - Woman's World (Imperial)

Florence Farmer - Living Legend Part 1 & 2 (Bethlehem)

Wendy Lynn - Try me/I Can Remember (king 1970)

Roberta Dubois - Who Am I?/Hold On To What You Got (King 1971)

Martha And The Lazers - Spank, George Style (Polydor 1978)

This comes from the book James Brown The Godfather Of Soul.

That's not a Brown production, just on a King subsidiary.

You're right, I guess I just had come to assume
    he had produced it - based on it being on DeLuxe,
    and her covering JB's "Try Me" & Little Willie John's
    "Fever," 2 songs I could see James having one of his
    revue cut for a record. I have a re-pop of it, but it's
    buried ... I don't think a producer is listed, right?
    Is it just a collection of singles, maybe with a few
    different producers? I did find reference to Don Pullen
    being involved, as songwriter and maybe more.

Of course, had James produced it, he would have made sure we knew

Heck, on the Myra Barnes/Vickie Anderson "Super Good" 45, he
    is coaching her while the tape is rolling! It's not like
    it's a duet, he's just sitting there egging her on, telling her
    to come harder with it ... it's one of the things that makes that
    single so crazed (along with the cranked-up acid guitar and
    production extra-raw even by JB's standards) - how he coaxes her
    into building up over the track, until she really nails it on the
    climactic "SOUL SISTERS LIKE ME - " part, nails it so hard they
    use the take even though her voice cracks immediately after that!

...or was there even a second take to use

• One more that I haven't seen mentioned: The Ramsey Sisters on the Smash label, produced by J.B., mid-60's most likely.

• here's my proposed playlist (1 hour show) any comments, complaints...for my own couriousty....

Anna King-If Somebody Told You

Vicki Anderson-Super Good
    Vicki Anderson-Answer To Mother Popcorn
    Vicki Anderson-I'm To Tough For Mr Big Stuff
    Vicki Anderson-The Land Of Milk & Honey

Marva Whitney-Unwind Yourself
    Marva Whitney-I'm Tired....
    Marva Whitney-What Do I Have To Do To Prove
    Marva Whitney-It's My Thing

Lyn Collins-Think (About It)
    Lyn Collins-Do Your Thing
    Lyn Collins-Give It Up Or Turn It Loose
    Lyn Collins-You Can't Love Me If You Don't Respect Me
    Lyn Collins-Take Me Just As I Am

Lyn Collins-Put It On The Line

I'm trying to do it somewhat chronologically. To me the obvious omission is Vicki Anderson "message from the soul sister" (and all time favorite of mine) but I just played that recently so i'm going to use a instrumental on the break of a song that samples it (probably YZ). I'm trying to make it more the "hip hop based" tracks since it is a "rap" show....ah...whatever...