MacBook yay or nay?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I've been strictly PC since I've been using a computer, but I need a new (lighter, faster, better) laptop and all I keep hearing is I should get a Mac Book.What about the compatability with everything I have on my PC? I know almost nothing about Macs.Someone knowledge me por favor.

Comments

• I've been strictly PC since I've been using a computer, but I need a new (lighter, faster, better) laptop and all I keep hearing is I should get a Mac Book.

What about the compatability with everything I have on my PC? I know almost nothing about Macs.

Someone knowledge me por favor.

if you really wanted to, you could run Windows off the new macs using Bootcamp

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

what applications are dear to you, my friend?

• It seems like everybody praises them like they're invincible yet I've had 2 friends whose MacBooks crashed recently and all was lost. In both situations the laptops were less than a year old.

Herm

• I've had my 1.83 ghz macbook since the summer and I like it quite a bit. I was pretty disappointed with the speed when I first got it- my 3 year old dell laptop was faster. I bought the lowest processor speed because I'm a grad student and living on my own. I added a gig stick of ram and it's doing a lot better now.
    Compatability hasn't been an issue, and I'm always trading different file types back and forth between operating systems.
    I originally bought it with the intention of running both windows and osx on it, but now I just think adding xp on here would be a waste of space.

• Oh and since you mentioned that you know nothing about macs, I just thought that I would add that I didn't know anything about them this summer. I had a pretty easy time transitioning, so don't worry about that.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yay!

• yay!

i was raised on Windows, and last spring made the switch to mac
    due to the recommendation of most all of my friends. Mac's are extremely
    user-friendly and you should have no problem with the transition. I can't
    recommend making the switch highly enough. Not a damn thing that I miss
    about Windows.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Yeah, I heard you can run Windows on Macs now. I'll have to read up on that.

My main concern is a conflict with Ableton or the plug-ins that I use. Plus Soulseek and the usual Windows based programs like Word, etc.
    Microwave shouldn't be a problem I don't think.

I mainly want to use it for music but I don't want go through converting a million files or learning a whole new OS if there's not a lot of advantages to it.

And yo, let's not make this a PC VS. MAC thread!

• I've used a MAC for the last 9 years or so, and I've really had no complaints at all. I use a Mac cause that is the industry standard for what I do for a living... but I will admit it is a bit more expensive,. But realistically assess your needs and don't chump out and spend more $$$$ when you don't really have too. People get all gitty over Macs, but most of the time they could be doing the exact thing on PC.

Either way though, despite the hype, Apple does make some quality ass computers, that is of course you are willing to drop the extra loot. And even if you do, you will have the best of both worlds with the new Macs.

• if you really wanted to, you could run Windows off the new macs using Bootcamp

My main concern is a conflict with Ableton or the plug-ins that I use. Plus Soulseek and the usual Windows based programs like Word, etc.

I mainly want to use it for music but I don't want go through converting a million files or learning a whole new OS if there's not a lot of advantages to it.

i run ableton and word no problem, but have yet to figure out how to run soulseek.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

i run ableton and word no problem, but have yet to figure out how to run soulseex.

• if you really wanted to, you could run Windows off the new macs using Bootcamp

yeah, cosign on what everyone else has said. If you got the actual disc for Ableton, it has both versions on it, and if you need them, I got all the MS stuff. Files are usually cross-platform readable so that shouldn't be a problem.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    It seems like everybody praises them like they're invincible yet I've had 2 friends whose MacBooks crashed recently and all was lost. In both situations the laptops were less than a year old.

Herm

mac's are definitly not invisible, but they are no more than any other comp.

day, if you have the chedder, get it. if your just using it for music you should be fine. i cant image you needing to convert mad files. just back that shit up as much as you can. my boy's hd just crashed a month ago.

twas a sad day in binary world.

• ANYTHING is bound to fuck up the second you have Windows installed on it... if you're gonna get a mac, use it as one. that's all i can contribute to this conversation.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you should be straight on everything except plug-ins. some that you currently have might only have pc versions or you may lack the mac installers right now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ANYTHING is bound to fuck up the second you have Windows installed on it... if you're gonna get a mac, use it as one. that's all i can contribute to this conversation.
    should i throw out the two windows pcs i have that are running completely stable with absolutely no viruses (without running any anti-virus) or spyware on them and have been for years? i don't want to start a mac vs pc debate but your "contribution" was a little off.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    mac's are definitly not invisible

• It seems like everybody praises them like they're invincible yet I've had 2 friends whose MacBooks crashed recently and all was lost. In both situations the laptops were less than a year old.

Herm

mac's are definitly not invisible, but they are no more than any other comp.

day, if you have the chedder, get it. if your just using it for music you should be fine. i cant image you needing to convert mad files. just back that shit up as much as you can. my boy's hd just crashed a month ago.

twas a sad day in binary world.

Laptops in general have a notoriously high failure rate. In the area of 25% in the first few years. That means one in every four laptops will require some repair or need to be returned. Apple laptops are slightly better than other manufacturers, but not by much. So yeah not invincible, but about the same as if you bought another brand.

• I wouldn't really say that Apple notebooks are overpriced for what they are these days...it's not 1997 anymore.

You can definitely find cheaper Windows based notebooks, but not significantly with the same hardware/software that the Apple laptops include.

Anyway, my contribution would be to hold off until Mac OSX 10.5 (aka Leopard) is released. This should happen summertime or before, and it will save you $120 in upgrade costs. Also there might be newer hardware available by then.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Anyway, my contribution would be to hold off until Mac OSX 10.5 (aka Leopard) is released. This should happen summertime or before, and it will save you $120 in upgrade costs. Also there might be newer hardware available by then.

• Anyway, my contribution would be to hold off until Mac OSX 10.5 (aka Leopard) is released. This should happen summertime or before, and it will save you $120 in upgrade costs. Also there might be newer hardware available by then.

Rumor is Apple will upgrade the screens for better power performance.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

yup
    even if you dont buy the new models and care about the new OS, you will see a discount on the older models which is always a plus.

my next laptop will be a macbook of some sort just because the apple educational discount is so good and the laptops are finally comparable in price to a pc with the intels.

• I have a first generation, pentium, black macbook. I had to take it to the apple shop when it started randomly shutting down. It took less than 24 hours for them to swap the heatsink and I haven't had any problems since. I love it.

If you get a mac notebook, be sure to buy the applecare package. It's well worth it.

I think you will have to get mac versions of your vst's to run them in os x. Everything else is pretty set.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    ANYTHING is bound to fuck up the second you have Windows installed on it... if you're gonna get a mac, use it as one. that's all i can contribute to this conversation.

- spidey

• ANYTHING is bound to fuck up the second you have Windows installed on it... if you're gonna get a mac, use it as one. that's all i can contribute to this conversation.

- spidey
    Parralels+windows+proper/pro install=no problems

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    When I was looking to buy a new notebook, I spent some time considering a MacBook. I ultimatley decided to go with a Lenovo, which is better built, more reliable in terms of hardware, and better value. I don't regret my decision, even if it means that Aser can't really be my friend anymore.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't regret my decision, even if it means that Aser can't really be my friend anymore.

HAHA, does he make you sit at a different table also when eating out?

I get enough people telling me to switch to a mac, to make me never want to.

I love being able to pick and choose from a shitload of hardware and programs to do what I want. Plus, I've never really had any major issues running a windows box.

And when I wanna nerd it up, I throw in my usb key and run linux off it. People still find it crazy when I run a comp off something the size of a pinkie.

• [

And when I wanna nerd it up, I throw in my usb key and run linux off it. People still find it crazy when I run a comp off something the size of a pinkie.

Which distribution?

• mac's are definitly not invisible

definitely true - I see them all over the place.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    's definitly not invisible