el-p "i'll sleep when your dead" interview

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    watch the reaction as it drops in a club, with a few hundred women losing ther fucking minds to it. In fact, if it's that easy to do, I'd be more interested to know why he wouldn't want to do it.

is this supposed to be the goal of a producer today? is this what the dude should be striving for?
    thats a bunch of bullshit.

Okay, what is the goal of a hip-hop producer today supposed to be?

To provide cerebral stimulation to dudes crouched over a turntable in their bedrooms?

Just wondering.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    watch the reaction as it drops in a club, with a few hundred women losing ther fucking minds to it. In fact, if it's that easy to do, I'd be more interested to know why he wouldn't want to do it.

is this supposed to be the goal of a producer today? is this what the dude should be striving for?

It's not the goal, but it's a goal. Unless, that is, you think that music can, and should, be about just the one thing instead of a multitude of things. I can understand perfectly how someone mightn't find club shit particularly stimulating, but if you, or El-P, or anyone else is going to say in all seriousness, "that shit's easy", then believe I'm going to say, "well, go ahead and do it, then". Just the once. It shouldn't take long. Prove your point, pick up the check and go spend it on something more fulfilling. Little as I know about the game, I know that making music that is genuinely popular and actually connects with millions of people is not "easy". El-P can make all the snippy remarks he likes about how you can make a Neptunes beat on half a dozen Triton presets (which was common knowledge anyway) but, to return to my earlier point, it ain't about how easy it is. There's probably a great deal more technical skill involved in a record like Joe Satriani's "Surfing With The Alien" than there is in the first Ramones album. I know which of the two I'd rather listen to.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

lol @ el-p 'club beats'

(parental advisory: this album contains an Aesop Rock sex rap)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    if you, or El-P, or anyone else is going to say in all seriousness, "that shit's easy", then believe I'm going to say, "well, go ahead and do it, then". Just the once. Prove your point, pick up the check and go spend it on something more fulfilling.
    El-p has too much artistic integrity to do such a thing. He could never get back the piece of his soul he would lose from stooping so low.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Didactics in music--and other art forms--is played. The idea that one kind of music is inherently 'better' than another is just ridiculous. The idea that 'base' music is worth less, or easier made than than music that is 'smart' is usually only pushed by zealous proponents of 'good music'. If you really want to get into deconstructing artifacts we can talk about the difficulty of 'making it' in the mainstream compared to 'making it' in the underground.

Really, what's going on here is a lot less about music, and a lot more about degrading people that listen to/make the music--isn't it?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Really, what's going on here is a lot less about music, and a lot more about degrading people that listen to/make the music--isn't it?

You sound like you have a problem with SoulStrut.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

You sound like you have a problem with SoulStrut.

I think it's my keyboard. Or maybe my bluetooth.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

Okay, what is the goal of a hip-hop producer today supposed to be?

To provide cerebral stimulation to dudes crouched over a turntable in their bedrooms?

Just wondering.

im not goin to get scientific like some other folk will get. different producers got different goals, simple as that. i think el is on some cutting edge tip. he makes music that aint soundin like anyone elses. whether you like what he does or not, thats personal taste. but the goal of a hip hop producer these days SHOULD be to sound like noone else. and 90% of the bs producers that you hearin dont have that as a goal. they tryin to get paid. whatever, do you. but i be in the clubs. i hear it.
    to say someone's music aint dope because it doesnt get play in the club is stupid though. not sayin you said that, but a lot of fools on here think that.

personally, im not simply tryin to make music for drunk girls at the club. im not simply tryin to make music for that loner cat with his friends either huddled over a turntable. if both kind dig, cool.

• so

how many people have actually heard this record?

• so

how many people have actually heard this record?

Is it out? I'd like to hear it. (ducks)