el-p "i'll sleep when your dead" interview

Comments

• I picked up the Korg Triton just for fun and to see what it could do. When I heard it I realized that's what it takes to make a Neptunes beat. I only wish I'd gotten one years earlier and beaten them to the punch.

I have nothing against the dude, but this line is ridiculous.

• he sure uses a lot of cool shit to make a whole lot of bullshit.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I picked up the Korg Triton just for fun and to see what it could do. When I heard it I realized that's what it takes to make a Neptunes beat. I only wish I'd gotten one years earlier and beaten them to the punch.

Brings to mind Harry Connick Jr.'s claim that rock and roll is so simple that if he were to play it he'd be revered as the greatest rock and roll musician ever.

These two tools should form a group.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

These two tools should form a group.
    I want to see a photoshopped copy of their debut album cover.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I picked up the Korg Triton just for fun and to see what it could do. When I heard it I realized that's what it takes to make a Neptunes beat. I only wish I'd gotten one years earlier and beaten them to the punch.

Brings to mind Harry Connick Jr.'s claim that rock and roll is so simple that if he were to play it he'd be revered as the greatest rock and roll musician ever.

Music itself is such a simple endeavor in comparison to the complexity of my SoulStrut posts that if I were to ever pick up an instrument, you would all have posters of me hanging over your beds and be carrying lunchboxes with my picture on them.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Music itself is such a simple endeavor in comparison to the complexity of my SoulStrut posts that if I were to ever pick up an instrument, you would all have posters of me hanging over your beds and be carrying lunchboxes with my picture on them.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I can't get with dudes raps but those beats sound nuts.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Generally, I agree. Cannibal Ox is a great, if overlong, album. Fan Dam is underrated, if only because everyone hates it so much. But the majority of these Post-Hop rappers (Anticon as a unit, El-P himself, other dudes I'm not even going to try to remember) are an embarassment to America.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

As much as I find your online persona aggrivating, pretensious, and way over-the-top, this is the quote of the year (and it's only February).

I don't think this one is getting topped.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Generally, I agree. Cannibal Ox is a great, if overlong, album. Fan Dam is underrated, if only because everyone hates it so much. But the majority of these Post-Hop rappers (Anticon as a unit, El-P himself, other dudes I'm not even going to try to remember) are an embarassment to America.

the only problem w/ DefJux is they expanded too fast and started putting out alot of fairly weak shit, when they should have just kept to their core...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I don't particularly care for El-P's monotonous ramblings on the mic, but I think his production style has always been very original, love it or hate it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I don't particularly care for El-P's monotonous ramblings on the mic, but I think his production style has always been very original, love it or hate it.

Indeed, he never should have gone near the mic but there was a period of time when IMO he was offering up something truly different to the norm. Not sure how relevant he still is today though as I've had no desire to pick up anything def jux related for many a year.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    el is dope. i got much respect for dude's beats and rhymes.
    dude did alot for the indie music game as well

im not even goin to start at how easy makin a club beat is

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

:5pager:

You contest that making abrasive music that nobody wants to hear is far more difficult than making something with widespread appeal that touches people on a gluteal level?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    on a gluteal level?

!!!!!!!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    You contest that making abrasive music that nobody wants to hear is far more difficult than making something with widespread appeal that touches people on a gluteal level?

hihi. for real, after "little johnny", I stopped paying attention. Maybe it is a part of gettin older but these sonic walls of deconstruction just don't do it for me anymore. Although there is one track on the album that is seriously [insertmcserchgraemlin] "bonkayers" beatwise..."emg" or something?

on a gluteal level?

!!!!!!!!!

Appealing to the intellect is easy; hitting people lower down is the challenge.

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    for real, after "little johnny", I stopped paying attention.

Still, I always kinda saw El-P's beats on Funcrusher Plus as belonging to the whole dusty New York tradition rather than anything particularly 'innovative'. Maybe that's just me being wrong though...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    on a gluteal level?

!!!!!!!!!

sayin'.

-----------

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    on a gluteal level?

!!!!!!!!!

Appealing to the intellect is easy; hitting people lower down is the challenge.

I like to think of myself as a pure rebel
    A radical thinker on a gluteal level

Everyone always says "just make some club/radio shit!". It's not as easy as (some) people think.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im sure youd like to think there is some mystique in makin a club joint, but sit in on some sessions with some of these dudes you like and all that will go out the window. you would be surprised how far some knockin drums will take a beat.
    i give respect where i think it should go. neptunes and storch get nods. there are a ton of bums.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Just to interject here, Grand Buffet is one of the only good things non-radio hip-hop has going for it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    im sure youd like to think there is some mystique in makin a club joint, but sit in on some sessions with some of these dudes you like and all that will go out the window. you would be surprised how far some knockin drums will take a beat.
    i give respect where i think it should go. neptunes and storch get nods. there are a ton of bums.

You must not make beats.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

the only problem w/ DefJux is they expanded too fast and started putting out alot of fairly weak shit, when they should have just kept to their core...

That's also true, although they served their purpose. late 2000-early 2002 was a good time for them.

Well, the cat upthread seems to be suggesting as much. It's not too dissimilar to the old argument you'll still hear from fans of progressive rock (some of which I have time for, as it happens), in that the more difficult and demanding a piece of music appears to be, the quantifiably better it must be - especially in relation to something like, oh, I dunno, "a club beat", maybe. Moreover, it's not unusual for fans of progressive rock to assert a degree of intellectual superiority over the kind of people who like "club beats" because those people just don't get the levels of complexity at work in prog rock or its hip-hop equivalent, the work of El-P. Try telling them it's possible to dig both "Heart Of The Sunrise" and "Throw Some D's", and see where that gets you.

Personally, I'd like to hear dude make a club beat, sell it, get paid off it, and then watch the reaction as it drops in a club, with a few hundred women losing ther fucking minds to it. In fact, if it's that easy to do, I'd be more interested to know why he wouldn't want to do it.

you would be surprised how far some knockin drums will take a beat.

Dude, that's the whole point. Spending six weeks honing a beat isn't necessarily going to make it better, especially if it ain't all that great in the first place. I respect El-P for ploughing his own furrow and all, but most of his shit leaves me cold.

I remember a story a friend told me about this London-based house producer who was working on this remix one time, and was struggling to get the beats right and meet his deadline. He was a good programmer with a good ear who'd done a lot of good work in his field, but on this occasion it just wasn't happening for him. Then someone told him that Kenny Dope, who was a friend of his, was in town. He calls Kenny up, and a couple of hours later he's at the studio. He listens to the track a couple of times, then he hunches over the SP-12, punching pads for about thirty seconds or so. A little while after that, Kenny's drums have been synched up, the track is knocking, and the job's done.

• Personally, I'd like to hear dude make a club beat, sell it, get paid off it, and then watch the reaction as it drops in a club, with a few hundred women losing ther fucking minds to it. In fact, if it's that easy to do, I'd be more interested to know why he wouldn't want to do it.

Once again I have nothing against him, I enjoyed a lot Compagny Flow a the time..

But it's obvious every adult person who lives in the real life should understand this guy CAN'T instead of DON'T WANT TO make some club hit beats, grab insane lot of dollars and F*** with Elite models during VIP Dior party like Pharrel William does..

• im not even goin to start at how easy makin a club beat is

Well, the cat upthread seems to be suggesting as much. It's not too dissimilar to the old argument you'll still hear from fans of progressive rock (some of which I have time for, as it happens), in that the more difficult and demanding a piece of music appears to be, the quantifiably better it must be - especially in relation to something like, oh, I dunno, "a club beat", maybe. Moreover, it's not unusual for fans of progressive rock to assert a degree of intellectual superiority over the kind of people who like "club beats" because those people just don't get the levels of complexity at work in prog rock or its hip-hop equivalent, the work of El-P. Try telling them it's possible to dig both "Heart Of The Sunrise" and "Throw Some D's", and see where that gets you.

Personally, I'd like to hear dude make a club beat, sell it, get paid off it, and then watch the reaction as it drops in a club, with a few hundred women losing ther fucking minds to it. In fact, if it's that easy to do, I'd be more interested to know why he wouldn't want to do it.

This post needs a prog rap greamlin.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    watch the reaction as it drops in a club, with a few hundred women losing ther fucking minds to it. In fact, if it's that easy to do, I'd be more interested to know why he wouldn't want to do it.

is this supposed to be the goal of a producer today? is this what the dude should be striving for?
    thats a bunch of bullshit.