Hip-Hop Hattery (bland people Busdriver related)

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
WHY IS BUSDRIVER BLOWING UP AT MY RADIO STATION? I've heard someone talking about the album almost every day for the past two weeks, usually in a conversation that goes something like "Yeah, I like hip-hop....OH HAVE YOU HEARD THE NEW BUSDRIVER ALBUM?....yeah it's really good....I've also been listening to a lot of nerdcore...."I'm fucking scared for my generation. I'm 20, and this garbage is what the supposed "tastemakers" my age think is hip-hop. Most people you meet, you're lucky if they've heard of Jurassic 5 (same dude upping the Busdriver record complained about how unimpressed with J5 he was in '99) Meanwhile they sleep on the promos of Marley Marl productions that lay untouched in our hip-hop library.Saying, it's scary thinking how average people in my generation concieve of hip-hop. Fuck trying to explain four elements culture, folks don't even know what hip-hop even sounds like. My good friend, hip-hop director at the station, as soon as people found out that she liked hip-hop, the staff stopped talking to her. No joke. Another girl's been playing hip-hop at the station for years, gets the boot because there's "too much student interest in hip-hop."I know every generation goes through this shit but damn, amazing how a small group of dedicated people basically keep an artform and culture alive.I'll end my rant, but anyone else have experience with "everyday joe" giving that "oh, you listen to hip-hop" reaction?

Comments

• go get the wax poetics #20 with lee perry on the cover
    and read the stuff relating to this post
    starting on page 109
    you really should

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    this argument is tired.
    I really like the new busdriver album.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    go get the wax poetics #20 with lee perry on the cover
    and read the stuff relating to this post
    starting on page 109
    you really should

Don't have it in front of me but I'm assuming you're talking about the article that called into question whether graffiti is part of hip-hop, and the 4 elements construction. Great article, gave it to a friend to read.

• indeed.

• Most people you meet, you're lucky if they've heard of Jurassic 5

I liked the EP, but come on now. It's "important" to know J5?

As for the rest, it's nothing new.

• this thread desperately needs a link to that bsides thread about seeing busdriver live for a quick and painless

• Yes Jurrasic 5 is hip-hop....and good, but let's not put a wall around what hip-hop must sound like. Isn't that the point of hip-hop, to create new ideas that have a basic hip-hop foundation or mindset. I'm sure early hip-hop acts thought the newcomers were ruining the genre....but instead it just led to new levels of hip-hop. Expand and expand....if people like busdriver weren't pushing the envelope hip-hop would be boring and stale. I'm an everyday joe with a music obsession, and that includes all likes....well, except for the current country scene.....that is a bit rough.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm fucking scared for my generation. I'm 20, and this garbage is what the supposed "tastemakers" my age think is hip-hop. Most people you meet, you're lucky if they've heard of Jurassic 5 (same dude upping the Busdriver record complained about how unimpressed with J5 he was in '99) Meanwhile they sleep on the promos of Marley Marl productions that lay untouched in our hip-hop library.

Saying, it's scary thinking how average people in my generation concieve of hip-hop. Fuck trying to explain four elements culture, folks don't even know what hip-hop even sounds like. My good friend, hip-hop director at the station, as soon as people found out that she liked hip-hop, the staff stopped talking to her. No joke. Another girl's been playing hip-hop at the station for years, gets the boot because there's "too much student interest in hip-hop."

I know every generation goes through this shit but damn, amazing how a small group of dedicated people basically keep an artform and culture alive.

Wow

Don't worry, though; you, your station, and your fellow Jurassic 5 and four elementz devotees have absolutely nothing to do with the future of hip-hop.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Don't worry, though; you, your station, and your fellow Jurassic 5 and four elementz devotees have absolutely nothing to do with the future of hip-hop.

unnecessary cruelty - focus on values you hold in common with these youngsters - you both abhor busdriver...

unnecessary cruelty - focus on values you hold in common with these youngsters - you both abhor busdriver...

I've never heard Busdriver. The one Archaic abhors him, which is a point in his favor, though.

• this is an all around frightening thread

I've never heard Busdriver. The one Archaic abhors him, which is a point in his favor, though.

I may have heard Busdriver once, but can't recall too many specifics - does he rap real fast like?

Busdriver is Blowed-related right?

---

I may have heard Busdriver once, but can't recall too many specifics - does he rap real fast like?

Busdriver is Blowed-related right?

---

All I can tell you is that I believe he once appeared on "Blind Date".

And his music makes Archaic's daughter cry. Why Archaic is experimenting on his daughter by subjecting her to unpleasant and frightening sounds, I do not know.

so he has as much stred-cred as Guzzo & 'The Game' then eh?

Why Archaic is experimenting on his daughter by subjecting her to unpleasant and frightening sounds, I do not know.

perhaps it's a condtioning technique - he plays the music of Texas-based 'miltant' mc's & rewards her with candy, then the next night plays some college-rap & sends her to bed without supper.

---

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Why Archaic is experimenting on his daughter by subjecting her to unpleasant and frightening sounds, I do not know.

perhaps it's a condtioning technique - he plays the music of Texas-based 'miltant' mc's & rewards her with candy, then the next night plays some college-rap & sends her to bed without supper.

---

Ouch.

---

Ouch.

We should all stop talking about this before Young Sheezy finds out and threatens to break our thumbs (again).

Harvey hasn't been posting as much as he used to & now 'four elements' types have been running amok on SS - coinkydink? I think not.

• I'm fucking scared for my generation. I'm 20, and this garbage is what the supposed "tastemakers" my age think is hip-hop. Most people you meet, you're lucky if they've heard of Jurassic 5 (same dude upping the Busdriver record complained about how unimpressed with J5 he was in '99) Meanwhile they sleep on the promos of Marley Marl productions that lay untouched in our hip-hop library.

Saying, it's scary thinking how average people in my generation concieve of hip-hop. Fuck trying to explain four elements culture, folks don't even know what hip-hop even sounds like. My good friend, hip-hop director at the station, as soon as people found out that she liked hip-hop, the staff stopped talking to her. No joke. Another girl's been playing hip-hop at the station for years, gets the boot because there's "too much student interest in hip-hop."

I know every generation goes through this shit but damn, amazing how a small group of dedicated people basically keep an artform and culture alive.

Wow

DISS OF THE YEAR!!!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I'm fucking scared for my generation. I'm 20, and this garbage is what the supposed "tastemakers" my age think is hip-hop. Most people you meet, you're lucky if they've heard of Jurassic 5 (same dude upping the Busdriver record complained about how unimpressed with J5 he was in '99) Meanwhile they sleep on the promos of Marley Marl productions that lay untouched in our hip-hop library.

Wow

DISS OF THE YEAR!!!

If you see the future of hip-hop as Busdriver and nerdcore raps, then I'm cool with staying out of that world. Plenty of artists pushing forward the future of hip-hop who I'm all for, but I'm not getting behind wack shit just because it's the future.

• when are "they" gonna invent a "time machine". We need that.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Wow

DISS OF THE YEAR!!!

If you see the future of hip-hop as Busdriver and nerdcore raps, then I'm cool with staying out of that world. Plenty of artists pushing forward the future of hip-hop who I'm all for, but I'm not getting behind wack shit just because it's the future.

Have u heard the new Sean Price?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Have u heard the new Sean Price?

Why? Does he write graf/breakdance/DJ too?

If not, forget about him.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    what time is temple??

• If you see the future of hip-hop as Busdriver and nerdcore raps, then I'm cool with staying out of that world. Plenty of artists pushing forward the future of hip-hop who I'm all for, but I'm not getting behind wack shit just because it's the future.

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR!!!

Faux_Rillz is an old man who wouldn't recognize hip-hop culture if you dropped him off in the heart of Harlem.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Faux_Rillz is an old man who wouldn't recognize hip-hop culture if you dropped him off in the heart of Leimert Park.

• Faux_Rillz is an old man who wouldn't recognize hip-hop culture if you dropped him off in the heart of Leimert Park.

I am remiss for having left out the following fact:

He has the heart of milk dud.

• Faux_Rillz is an old man who wouldn't recognize hip-hop culture if you dropped him off in the heart of Leimert Park.

milky white?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Busdriver does pixie stick rap for pixie stick people.

milky white?

ZING OF THE YEAR!!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    this thread desperately needs a link to that bsides thread about seeing busdriver live for a quick and painless

oh yeah. i forgot to check on that thread, i was pretty drunk when i posted it. but yes, it was indeed horrible.