Options

MOnday's finds

edited June 2005 in Strut Central
K.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Hot damn, this is my shit! The Scientist dub is face-melting as well - one of the only truly smooth mixes that this hands-of-stone amateur DJ put to CD was a blend of the Tamlins vocal and the Scientist dub...

Who does the version on the flip of that 45?

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    baltimore is a sick tune. can't believe it is a freaking randy newman song. i'd love to hear the dub side....

taxi question:

is there a 45 for the female version of "beds too big without you" on taxi???

also:

is the floyd lawson a one tracker??

• Options
    You guys should know by the label that it's SLy/Robbie & The Revolutionaries on the dub. ALso got a 12" by Carlton Gray doing "Baltimore" that is just as dope - an extra.

K.

• Options

taxi question:

Yup.

also:

NAh man. There's 2-3 uptempo trakcs and a couple mid-tempo soul tunes. It's an extra as well (no ban (I've paid my yearly selling fee)).

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    baltimore is a sick tune. can't believe it is a freaking randy newman song. i'd love to hear the dub side....

taxi question:

also:

i've always loved Nina's version too. There was a CTI 12" of it as well as the album version. Really beautiful.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i've always loved Nina's version too.

yes, 100% co-signature.

i'd been looking for this record and then a very very nice person passed it to me this weekend!

• Options
    Did you play it on Saturday night? Another good time BTW. The after-hours was .

K.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea, much earlier though. It went from P's crate right into mine, bless his heart! Glad you had a good time - know I did!

Later on I thought the music was pretty good. I wanted to stay longer, but I was knackered...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You guys should know by the label that it's Sly/Robbie & The Revolutionaries on the dub.

Although my reggae game is not as "tight" as I want it to be (as proven by my getting frequently sonned by you, K,) you are right, if I had been really paying attention, the TAXI label should have told me all I needed to know.

Also, K, for a lil' advice, a local spot got a dope OG copy of the Sly & Robby (sic) "Gambler's Choice" LP in with some other hot original Jamaican stuff...what would you think is a good price to pay (US) for it? I want it, but people get crazy with reggae prices around here...

Anyway, Monday Finds...I was NOT supposed to buy ANY records today (or all week, for that matter), but found myself killing time near one of my top spots, and just had to drop in "for a second." They do put out records every Monday, so how could I resist (just a couple):

Could not pass this one up, just got put out and you know it would be gone by my next time through.

Finally found a nice, clean mono OG press of this, and only $10!

• Options
    YOu can pick that up fairly cheap on eBay - I wouldn't pay over $20 it. I see that around town quite a bit, too.

Some stores around here price like that, too. Put everything at $30 and sell the couple that are worth it, while the others lay around for eternity. Luckily, I get Bat phone call as soon as stuff comes in.

K.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    7bucks got me:

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew (definitely deserves the "classic" label status. love it...)

Little Richard- Rill Thing ('70 recording. funky! i wasn't aware that he made stuff like this.)

• LP's/12
    That's the Joint - Funky 4 +1
    Melvin Sparks -- Spark Plug
    Heath Bros -- Expressions
    Sil Austin -- Plays Pretty for the People
    Valley of the Dolls -- OST
    Christmas with Pt II -- John Fahey
    ...Does 12 -- Robert Jr Lockwood
    Beaux J. PooBoo -- Les McCann
    Je T' Aime -- Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg

45's
    Diamonds and Pearls -- Paradons
    Soothe Me -- Sims Twins
    Soul Brother -- Art Butler
    The Roach -- Gene and Wendell
    Love on a two Way Street 2x-- The Moments
    There's something on your mind -- Bobby Marchan
    Why Worry 2x-- Aaron Neville
    Angry Sea (Waimea) -- The Rumblers
    Green Onions -- Booker T
    Jungle Cat -- Jimmy McGriff
    You're Gona Miss Me -- Lowell Fulson
    Willie Hutch -- Foxy Brown Theme

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Conversations With The Silhouettes
    Blackbyrds - S/T (OG)
    Eddie Floyd - Soul Street
    Eddie Kendricks - All By Myself
    Main Ingredient - Black Seeds
    Maxayn - S/T
    Persuaders - Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
    Herbie Mann - Push
    Leonard Feather Presents The Sound Of Feeling And The Sound Of Oliver Nelson
    Johhny Hodges/Wild Bill Davis - Joe's Blues

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Conversations With The Silhouettes
    nice find, just got one of these too

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    LP's
    Run DMC-King of Rock
    Whodini-Escape
    The Carnival-S/T
    Cameo-Single Life
    Cameo-She's Strange
    Chuck Cissel-Cisselin' Hot
    Passport-Ocean Liner

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Little Richard- Rill Thing ('70 recording. funky! i wasn't aware that he made stuff like this.)

You should check out Little Richard's The Second Coming, along the same lines.
    Although 'the Rill Thing' is the one to get(sounds like you got a deal, that's easily a $25-30 grab -worth that for the monster title track alone). Should be able to find the Second Coming for under a $10 spot.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

taxi question:

also:

you know the shiela hylton "bed's too big without you" / "give me your love" 12" on Mango right? same era as the Bits and Pieces "don't stop the music". great stuff.

while on the subject of sly & robbie...anybody know this lp? sly & robbie on Joe Gibbs label from 1982...very nice dub record including an interpretation of the beatles "ticket to ride"!

some friday thru monday digs:

wicked female hip-hop out of brooklyn...know this? other side is "treat her like a lady".

finally found an OG copy of this rinder and lewis breakbeat classic. so dope all the way thru.

not sure how raer this is...probably not much, but i never see this on 12"...much less with a dub version! it's wicked...has some reggay deejay toasting over the bassline.

sick boogie/funk joint with female rapping

mega-rare disco-funk / bump and hustle joint

butter boogie joint

top-shelf in-demand italo electro joint...ill.

a nice addition to my morricone collection...which now adds up to 3 lps.

and one last thing...something i dug up a year or two back but has been stored at my friend'd house along with 500 other records of mine that i couldn't fit in my crib when i moved last year. dope hip-hop that samples Queen "we will rock you"...but check the label similiaries with this DC go-go joint i have:

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    [/img][/url]

wicked female hip-hop out of brooklyn...know this? other side is "treat her like a lady".

HAh very hard shit!

• loginlogin 52 Posts

Grin
    War of the Worlds
    ADC Band
    Mr Jaws
    Shelia E
    Five Special

6 for $5

Don't Play Us Cheap (10 cents)
    Hot FM (10 Cents)

Greg Osbry
    Pat Taverns
    Lisa Lisa
    Karl Berger
    Big Toe

all free (end of the Flee market don't wanna pack it up and take home steez)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Just for future reference, how much did the Foot run you?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Grin
    War of the Worlds
    ADC Band
    Mr Jaws
    Shelia E
    Five Special

6 for $5

Hot FM (10 Cents)

Greg Osbry
    Pat Taverns
    Lisa Lisa
    Karl Berger
    Big Toe

do you have any other records by Grin? i have one record which is s/t. didn't listen to it much but i know it has a drumbreak on one of the songs.

• loginlogin 52 Posts
    Just for future reference, how much did the Foot run you?

orignally One Million Trillion Billion Pennies. But I talked him down cuase it smelled bad and has water damage.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

You should check out Little Richard's The Second Coming, along the same lines.
    Although 'the Rill Thing' is the one to get(sounds like you got a deal, that's easily a $25-30 grab -worth that for the monster title track alone). Should be able to find the Second Coming for under a $10 spot.

cool man.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

Grin
    War of the Worlds
    ADC Band
    Mr Jaws
    Shelia E
    Five Special

6 for $5

Hot FM (10 Cents)

Greg Osbry
    Pat Taverns
    Lisa Lisa
    Karl Berger
    Big Toe

DAMN. i've been after that Karl Berger for a while, give me a whollar if you decide not to like it.