Brothers of Soul

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
So their song, "A Lifetime" has been killing me on the daily for a week now and I know they have a few northern pieces that go for chingo bling. They are also, if I'm not mistaken, responsible for producing Ruby Andrews two albums on Zodiac, yes? What are the essential titles by these guys?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    cosign on A Lifetime.

'I'd Be Grateful' is an almost perfect song imo.

'Come On Back', 'I Guess That Don't Make Me A Loser', 'Hurry, Don't Linger' are also beautiful...don't think they did a bad song, did they?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

It's too bad they never released a proper album. One of my favorite soul groups of all time.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I've never heard a song by them I didn't like.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

It's too bad they never released a proper album. One of my favorite soul groups of all time.

is this collectables title available on LP?

I'd cop in a second

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I need more information. Maybe there's some in RHKTD?

I need more information. Maybe there's some in RHKTD?

Yeah, I think I posted this almost a year ago (if anyone else has it to UL). If not, check back later tonight.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Unfortunately, no.

Unfortunately, no.

I gave up collecting the 45s and just settle with listening to the CD from beginning to end, every time. I'd still like to get a copy of The Creations' cover of "Dream", though.

REAL HEADS OFFICIALLY KNOW THE DEAL

The Fred Bridges Story: BROTHERS of SOUL[/b]

The riots had changed Detroit forever, and Bridges Knight and Eaton needed a new name, something with some street cred.

Fred recalls, "During the riots many shops and stores were daubed with the words 'Soul Brother' in the hope that looters and arsonists would leave them alone. I played on the words and came up with The Brothers of Soul."

The first release on Boo was 'Hurry don't linger' b/w 'Can't get you off of my mind'. Fred sang lead on the top side and Richard sang lead on the flip side.

But Ric was keen to release "Dream" too and with another session producing the flip "Footsteps", the trio found themselves on the Zodiac label almost simultaneously, under another moniker, The Creations.

It was the fall of '67.

Fred went on to explain their routine.....

"Throughout our catalogue we varied lead on our songs about two thirds Richard and one third me.

The rhythm tracks would be laid down first, in a 3 hour session. Then we would go back and add horns and strings which might take 4 hours. Adding Backgrounds would take another 4 hours and finally leads might take 3 or 4 hours. Then we would do a mix. Some mixing we did at United some at Tera Shirma some in Chicago. I think studio time ranged between $75 and $150. That adds up to a lot of money.... WOW!

We wrote and produced all our songs but let Ric in on some of the credits as was the way back then. The songs were put together in both Detroit and Chicago depending on what was most cost effective. For example we might lay down the instrumentals in Tera Shirma in Detroit then the vocals in Chicago at either RCA/Universal or Columbia. It was all to do with logistics."

The trio were finding their own sound at this time too. The Motown Sound was changing, the Ric-Tic sound was changing, love lyrics were being replaced by politics and anger.

But The Brothers stuck with love and developed a new line, quite different to what had gone before in Detroit. Placing a lot of emphasis on instrumentation, and with no expense spared on strings, this mix, together with their wonderful harmonies, was the essence of their sound.

Boo's fourth release was the Brother's follow up and became their biggest hit. 'I guess that don't make me a loser' coupled with 'Hurry don't linger' reached #32 in the R&B charts on 13th April 1968. Richard Knight sang lead on this classic song.

Things were progressing well but they needed some kind of premises to work from.

(Source)

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    "A Lifetime"

this is the first real track on a mix i'm almost done with. i am heavily into it. one of those truly perfect soul songs

• I think the 45's I have of them might my favorite 45's I own. Someone should reissue all the 45's on lp. Anyone?

• "Try It Babe" is also excellent.

• I can't get enough of Dream B/w Candy on that orange label. Haven't found any others of theirs.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    all my life, i've been loving you
    all my life, i've been loving you...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "But I have no regrets..."

Like Mandrew said, as perfect a soul song as one can imagine.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Someone should reissue all the 45's on lp. Anyone?

agreed.

They did this recently with the Sisters Love 45 collection and its fucking wonderful

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Try It Babe" is also excellent.

Yes. "The Love I Found In You," too. Great imagery:

If there was a book
    like a telephone directory
    that listed evey heart in town
    you'd find mine
    under "Happy and Contented"...

And that perfect moment of suspension right after the carved-in-stone "You gave me love!" opens its petals into that fragile little "oh, yeahhhh..." is just amazing.

Where is SexyBNyce?