Tribe records question

2»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    nice 'moder soul' cut on here, etc.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    45s:

1035: cosmic force - why don???t love(make everything right)/same
    4007: wendell harrison and the tribe - farewell to the welfare(part one)/part two
    4009: david durrah - kai/venus flytrap

more?

1111: jimmy mccloud - i blew it / don't make the angels cry

northern-rated soul

---

• Options
    I had about 25 copies of that at one time. Detroit/Toronto has some deep musical roots (though it was mostly one way).

K.

I had about 25 copies of that at one time. Detroit/Toronto has some deep musical roots (though it was mostly one way).

K.

aka "Toronto has alot of English northern soul dealers"

although I did find the 'Baltimore' Taxi twelve around here once tho.

---

• Options
    That and the soul record-fiending Jamaicans here made regular trips to Detroit. IT's only 4 hours down the road (no biking).

But yeah, there's a couple cranky Northern dealers running about here - I've sold a tune or two but don't wear a wig .

K.

That and the soul record-fiending Jamaicans here made regular trips to Detroit. IT's only 4 hours down the road (no biking).

But yeah, there's a couple cranky Northern dealers running about here - I've sold a tune or two but don't wear a wig .

K.

some Jamaican guys still show up in Detroit - the sound they are looking for remains a little mysterious - perhaps sort of a sweet-voiced transitional-era soul?

Domestic ebaying innovations have rendered the English northern dealer an increasingly uncommon sight in the metro area.

---

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    Here is confirmation of an original Tribe pressing with this cover variation. It shows a certain 'patina' which cant be faked. This one turned up in Ohio.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Here is confirmation of an original Tribe pressing with this cover variation. It shows a certain 'patina' which cant be faked. This one turned up in Ohio.

Makes sense, that press is in their old advertisements.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    my question, are the records on Tribe even worth the money/hype?

• Options
    I think so.

K.

I'd say overhyped and overvalued.

still good records though.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Yes.

Luckily almost all of it has been reissued in some form.

• If 'evening with the devil' is the first tribe release, how come my copy says in the sleeve notes on the back 'on our last L.P called 'message from the tribe' (AR20506-S)...' Unless my copy is a later pressing, and im fairly certain its an original, doesnt this mean that message from the tribe came before evening with the devil? ....the tribe label is so confusing.

does anyone else's orig. evening with lp have this on the back?

• my question, are the records on Tribe even worth the money/hype?

I'd say overhyped and overvalued.

Shut up B - all the Tribe records are solid as fuck and worth a million dollars each, so bid accordingly.

If 'evening with the devil' is the first tribe release, how come my copy says in the sleeve notes on the back 'on our last L.P called 'message from the tribe' (AR20506-S)...' Unless my copy is a later pressing, and im fairly certain its an original, doesnt this mean that message from the tribe came before evening with the devil? ....the tribe label is so confusing.

does anyone else's orig. evening with lp have this on the back?

Does your "Evening With The Devil" have a silver label? There were two Tribe presses of this record that I know of. The second press has the artwork sort of cropped on the cover and the back is different with a silver label. That might clear up the "on our last album" thing.

I love the Tribe records. Funky, spiritual, free, militant, hand drawn covers, independent, creative, political, with breaks, almost everything I love about jazz records rolled into one label plus it's local. Now with that said, yes, I think they're overvalued, but I'm cheap and I think most records are overvalued. They are rare, especially in good condition, and they were not well distributed which helps the hype. Solid stuff, I'm glad I'm in a position and a city that has allowed me to nab them all for a decent price.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• the label on my copy is red. I remember seeing a copy on ebay with the cropped cover, but mine is the full image. so which is the first release?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I stand corrected! Cool.

• I'm pretty sure this is the first Tribe release:

TRCD4002: Tribe (Ranelin and Harrison)- "A Message from the Tribe" (1971)

SONIC

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

Hey guys, did tribe release any 45s?

yes, how many I'm not sure of. But, I know that Wendell Harrisons 'fairwell to the wellfare' track appeared on 45. Which is big money by the way, $700+

-k

oops i only got 400 for mine.