Wichita to Kansas City - What's GOOD Batches!!?!??

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
so the response from my Eugene thread was very helpful - caught the random waxidermic jawns and this weekend I'm driving city to city - any help??? I've been to Wichita a few times so I kinda know what's good there, but driving to KC should be fun/productive at eating-wise.SOMEBODY PUPT ME UP!peas,Georges

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Record-wise it's getting tougher up KC way since Music Exchange closed.....but on the Bar-B-Q tip KC has some of the best....try Gates or Arthur Bryants(I prefer Gates)...if red meat is your thang those are the places to hit.

• but on the Bar-B-Q tip KC has some of the best....try Gates or Arthur Bryants(I prefer Gates)...if red meat is your thang those are the places to hit.

also OKLAHOMA JOE'S

• Forget all of the other KC BBQ joints and go to LC's on Blue Parkway.
    Get the Burnt Ends, you will not be disappointed.

• Record-wise it's getting tougher up KC way since Music Exchange closed.....but on the Bar-B-Q tip KC has some of the best....try Gates or Arthur Bryants(I prefer Gates)...if red meat is your thang those are the places to hit.

I'm a big Arthur Bryant fan - if you don't eat there, swing by a grocery store and pick up a bottle of the sauce.

Also of note is the Westport Flea Market (on Westport near SW Trafficway IIRC). Seriously the most tender, delicious burgers I've had in my life. Motherfuckers melt in your mouth.

I understand there's a new record store on 39th (maybe?) called Zebedees that has a hippy bent. Other spots to check are the Half-Price Books locations (one is about half a block from the Flea), and there's a head shop on Broadway (N of 31st?) that had a surprising number of decent finds last time I was down there about a year ago. You might also check the antique stores near the river downtown. I've known people to pull some decent stuff out of them.

I guess the new bar that's cool is the RecordBar. The other hip places back when I lived there were the Brick on Main and the Newsroom on Broadway (a dive, but my friends liked it).

If you have time, both art museums are free and pretty damn decent.

Forget all of the other KC BBQ joints and go to LC's on Blue Parkway.

Indeed....forgot about LC's....and burnt ends is heart attack heaven!!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I worked at Yesterday Discs in Wichita for a number of years (raided the living FUCK out of that back room).. unfortunately they've closed so there's really nothing left there.
    Memory Lane MAY still be open if you feel like paying $20 for a copy of Zeppelin IV.
    The record situation is in ICT now. Hope that changes someday.. for now I'm glad I moved to VA.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I was just in KC this last weekend. Hit up Gates, def. does not dissapoint although I will be checking out the other recommendations on future visits for sure. Gates was funny, "HIII MAY I HELP YOOUUU!!!!" whoa.

• thanks for the spots - was in Wichita and ate at some local burger spot run by this father son duo. very decent burger.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    thanks for the spots - was in Wichita and ate at some local burger spot run by this father son duo. very decent burger.

Check out Burrito Express.. also may run under aliases Taco Express, Burrito King, Mexico Express, or variations thereof.

Vegee burritos =

what the hell are burnt ends??? is it some pork ish???

what the hell are burnt ends??? is it some pork ish???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_ends

Get familiar.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    if you go through lawrence you could hitup "love garden", its downtown and has some ok records i guess.

• for the head headz - should I take the turnpike from Wichita to KC or roll 135 to 70???

• I've personally never driven it, but I've always been told Turnpike.

• zebedee's (on w. 39th) has some decent selection, and they bring up new schitt almost every day from the basement. they had some cool 45s that they had gotten in last time i was in there. also, down 39th four blocks west in the basement of a bookstore called prospero's they have a little record selection. some decent stuff in there every once in a while. also, there's a hippie shop on 41st and broadway called "it's a beautiful day" that has vinyl in the back, not too much to write home about there either though.

eats-wise, i have to co-sign on both oklahoma joe's (corner of mission rd. and 47th inside of a gas station) and westport flea market burgers. also, el pueblito on southwest blvd. has excellent chimichangas, and if you're in the mood for sushi, i would recommend either matsu's on westport rd. or friends on 39th st.

record bar has the most good shows, but the peanut, the hangout and jilly's are alright bars to go to as well. i also like harling's on 40th and main (upstairs).

have a good time in the sunflower state.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    for the head headz - should I take the turnpike from Wichita to KC or roll 135 to 70???

Turnpike for sure. If you stay on 35 it'll take you straight into downtown KC.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    if you go through lawrence you could hitup "love garden", its downtown and has some ok records i guess.

on Lovegarden. They actually can have some very decent records at times.. better than "ok" depending on the day, but don't enter if you're allergic to hipsters, straight-edge scenesters, unbathed chaos punks, or cats.

on Lovegarden. They actually can have some very decent records at times.. better than "ok" depending on the day, but don't enter if you're allergic to hipsters, straight-edge scenesters, unbathed chaos punks, or cats.

Very good store with the highest cat allergy quotient in the country!!

• so I'm gonna get out of Wichita as early as possible and roll into KC as it seems to be the spot on many levels.

THANKS!!!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    sorry to dredge this up, but on the lovegarden tip, its my local/favorite/only record spot, and while the backstock or whatever you call it is pretty tepid, the "new arrival bin" has treated me nice every once in a while. in fact i think ill go check it out tomorrow.

• Thrope - should we link??? I hop into KC saturday morning.... Are there any spots to chill after my show (which ends around 11:30PM) to listen to some bumpable music???

PM,
    Georges

• p.s. I mostly look for 80's metal singles when the spots are full of tepid jawns so no need to be overly protective of your sole spot. I think there's nuff cats who'll my ability be a gracious diggin partner.

sorry to dredge this up, but on the lovegarden tip, its my local/favorite/only record spot, and while the backstock or whatever you call it is pretty tepid, the "new arrival bin" has treated me nice every once in a while. in fact i think ill go check it out tomorrow.

I bought a collection out of KC about 4-5 months ago that Love Garden had dipped into prior to my getting there.....did you notice a bunch of sealed Capitol label stuff around that time???

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    not specifically, but for all i know they ebayed em (do they even do this?) or kept em for themselves. and i work this weekend and am afraid of people on the internet, sorry igotbeats.

• afraid of people on the internet, sorry igotbeats.

no prob - make sure when you hit your "sole" spot you leave no jawn ungot. I'm a monster when diggin solo

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    afraid of people on the internet, sorry igotbeats.

i'd be afraid of this guy too.
    hell hath no fury like yoigotbeats scorned.

• Look who's talking!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

scary indeed....

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    nothing personal, im just a lil dude who doesnt wanna get embarassed on a TEAM DIGGING MISSION. but i am about to go BUY ALL THE GOOD RECORDS BEFORE YOU CAN GET TO THE STORE. its a race............GO.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Thrope - should we link??? I hop into KC saturday morning.... Are there any spots to chill after my show (which ends around 11:30PM) to listen to some bumpable music???

PM,
    Georges

to answer this, there are a few places in lawrence to get your drink on where DJs spin on the weekends, i cant really vouch for the quality of the DJs though...

as for KC, im a young'n and havent found a reason to travel 45 minutes to hitup a bar

have fun in KC mang (and you should go through lawrence and hitup love garden, at least to play with the pussies and maybe find something sitting in the "ALTERNATIVE" section that i skipped over) as i said, i suck at digging.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hahah.
    do you travel with your photo library?