price czech: johnny guitar watson "listen"

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
i only happened upon this once whilst out in the fields diggin'... the store clerk quickly yanked it off the top of a stack behind the counter waiting to be priced and said "not for sale" do any of youse see this much? what does it go for usually? any ideas?

Comments

• i don't see it as often as his other lp's but it is around and hey its good ol jgw

15-20 if mint tops

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've never seen it for sale in person

Bought a clean copy online for $20 and didn't regret it

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Frequency had one up in an October set sale for $30 that nobody picked up at the time.

• Most Johnny Guitar Watson LP's are usually common here. So when that one turned up it was priced at $7. But on ebay I've seen it sell between $30 - $40, not sure why that is though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    But on ebay I've seen it sell between $30 - $40, not sure why that is though.

No real mystery--it's both better and tougher to find than his other records of that era.

Certain of his older records get more money, though.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    love that record.
    my favorite johnny guitar watson lp.
    it's a $30 - $40 record.

• It doesn't really turn up much here in Europe.
    Is this the one with that track You've got a hard head on it?
    Cool song! It was compiled in that Luv n Haight Jazz funk classics series.

• In years of digging I've only seen it once and that's the copy I still own. Found a sealed OG at Wuxtry in Atlanta with original price sticker on it (like $5.99). Guy at the counter's jaw dropped. "Where did you find that?" he asked. "In the soul section, under "W" (which was true)," I replied. Not sure why this one doesn't turn up more. I love this album.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I bought mine several years ago in NYC I think for about $15.

• i think the whole second side of that record (the side w/hard head) is ridiculously good. dont see it too much either. $30 is reasonable, but if someone offered me $200 i'd do that, too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just to echo - the prices on that will vary. If you find it in the field, it's doubtful it will go for more than $20. A specialty shop will price it upwards around $40...and seriously, it's a GREAT album. Different from his "Superman Lover" stuff and just maaaad soulful.

It won't sell as much as his "Two For the Price of One" album which I've seen go for anywhere from $50-75. I think it's with Larry Williams? Not funk, not "soul" in the way "Listen" is. But apparently, collectible.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i think the whole second side of that record (the side w/hard head) is ridiculously good. dont see it too much either. $30 is reasonable, but if someone offered me $200 i'd do that, too.

Yeah, just to reiterate, this is a great record--totally unique sound, IMO.

• Perfect from start to finish.