D' Angelo : Live At The Jazz Cafe, London

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
What's the quality of this? Any improvisation? extended play?

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    excellent quality, came out on toshiba japan. I would say it's essential for any kufi soul lover.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    DANgelo![/b]

• i would say that it's not worth paying 30-50 dollars for 7 live songs. i can upload it this week when i get on better internet..PM me if i forget.

anyone have any voodo sessions like the piano only version of "spanish joint" i need some of that in my life please

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    anyone have any voodo sessions like the piano only version of "spanish joint" i need some of that in my life please

I'm not sure what you're talking about (is this booted outtakes?) but a friend of mine received a cassette while the album was still being produced that I had for a little but gave back (unfortunate as it was among a lot of stuff that later got destroyed and I never copied it)

It had a Hendrix excerpt at the beginning, and there was a very unfinished version of Fela's "Water No Get Enemy" that was supposed to have Lauryn Hill on it (that section even had D singing something about how this was where her part should go)

BTW- the 'Lady' 12" has the live version from this album and its really good, there's a long vamp at the end... never heard the rest. I've got a boot of a show from the Voodoo tour thats great though. I think it may be the same one that was broadcast as a radio show.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    The JC set can be readily found on slsk. Ditto that "Spanish Fly" take you mention. There is also live set from the Brixton Academy kiciking around, but the quality is poor. Give that one a miss. Highlight of the bootlegs for me is the track that eventually became "Afrika" on the Voodoo set, which IMHO is sonned by the embryonic bootleg form of just a piano and voice. This track is sometimes listed as "There will come a day".

I don't have that with me today.

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    A double vinyl set was pressed up, says promo only. Has different (more?) tracks to the CD I think.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

My friend has the LP version and as far as i can tell its put out by those same uk guys that release those dodgy anthologies of premo and dillas work. It has the same cover as pictured but the font looks slightly different. The sound quality is doo doo...However it is D'Angelo live so as long as you don't intend on planning to play it out i think its worth picking up. After listening to this it inspired me to go pull out all his other work.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    as for the outtakes, i can post a grip of those whenn i get home later.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Will he ever get his act together again? "Voodoo" is classic. I didn't like it at first, but that was probably because my stereo couldn't do it justice.

• dang. I thought this thread was about the greatest 60s brazilian bar band gettin' back together

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

It's good for what it is, a live EP of D'Angelo back when he was still with Angie Stone (who is on background vocals). Some of the live tracks were released domestically on 12" and CD singles, but here you get to hear the full "Lady" with the slow intro before it kicks in. "Heaven Must Be Like This" sounds like a studio track, but all they did was take out the crowd sounds.

I believe the 12" shown in this thread is sourced from the original FM broadcast, which is why it has the extra songs.

• thanks for posting these, i can up that live album later tonight

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Thanks dude i needed this in my life.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    D'Angelo - Live At The North Sea Jazz Festival

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ooffnh

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Damn dude thanks, you got his show from Brixton thats on import?