firefox vs safari (+?)

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
safari keeps unexpectedly quitting on me, especially when i'm on allmusic for some reason. so yesterday i started to mess with firefox. its cool i guess, i'm sure i'll like it when i get more used to it. the only problem i've encountered is that i can't download links - for example an mp3 link from a blog let's say. when i try to right click it doesn't give me the option to 'download linked file.' help me.

Comments

• right click -> 'save link as' ?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    People rep Firefox big time, but I've never had Safari problems
    so that's my go to program.

• Iuse Camino because I'm a rebel.

• like you, i used safari until i had mega crashing issues.
    i've been using firefox for about a 1/2 year now. personally, i prefer safari, but development and bug fixes are seriously lacking.

firefox = stable
    safari = intuitive

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    right click -> 'save link as' ?

Yeah ... I always thought that was worded poorly. The "link" is not the file the link leads to. "Save target as" is better wording.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    right click -> 'save link as' ?

THANKS

Iuse Camino because I'm a rebel.

I was using Camino (because I too am a rebel ) but my university's software did not like it so much. Back to Firefox.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Firefox quits on me on sites which have a intro Flash or high resolution image for some reason. It's rare, but I guess you get what you pay for. I just use it out of habit.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    safari keeps unexpectedly quitting on me, especially when i'm on allmusic

is anyone else having this problem with allmusic and safari, or does my computer just not want me to get helpful information about music and read insightful album reviews?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Iuse Camino because I'm a rebel.

how is this.. was using it for a min, but didnt like it/didnt give it a real try.

• Iuse Camino because I'm a rebel.

how is this.. was using it for a min, but didnt like it/didnt give it a real try.

It's not that great but it seems real snappy and I like the minimal look. Some of the fuctionality isn't there, like the dictionary thing.

I don't even use bookmarks. Quicksilver remembers most of them.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I use Firefox---had too many problems with Safari. It took me a long time to switch, but I finally got fed up with it. I do like that the new Firefox has automatic spell check as you type (like ).

I will say that the one nice thing about Safari is working with YouTube ... if you want to download a video (in FLV format) you just open Window->Activity and look for the biggest item ... just double click it and you're good.

Granted, I just use Javimoya Firefox extension making it super easy ... but I thought that trick might be worth mentioning for Safari users.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i like firefox cuz i use multiple OS's and firefox in all of em.

also, tabbed browsing =

• Safari 2.0 >Safari 1.0.1

I like Safari because of how integrated it is with all my other Mac software - apple mail, addressbook, etc. But...it doesn't play nice with as many websites as firefox does, and you also need Quicktime pro to download MP3s from websites. So I use firefox for downloading and at work since I use a PC there.