Layin Down da Riddim track...

2»

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    amazing. i am blown away. more videos like this please...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DOPE[/b]

DOPE[/b]

DOPE[/b]

thanks!

Uno mas then I'm done, the late great Dennis Brown!
    Enjoy....

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    almost every clip so far has been posted before and there is no clowning yet?

anyway, dope stuff all the way through and a huge step forward towards more record-relatedness

almost every clip so far has been posted before and there is no clowning yet?

Clowning?
    I think we should be clowning you for having encyclopedic levels of knowledge
    on all the videos ever posted.
    What are you the Soul Strut referee?
    "Foul, repetitious posting, loss of 100 postings in the post count"

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    that video came from a 80's documentary thats soon to be released on DVD. I think it's called Deep Roots or something like that.
    it's called roots, rock reggae filmed in 76-77. great documentary.

is that a pedal, or is it strictly studio gear? cause i swear ive seen that in pedal form.

Well, the production model of the Bi-Phase is a pedal. The vintage ones (I'm guessing early '70s? I'd have to get my Lee Perry texts out to check) may have been outboard. But, Perry had a prototype. There's probably a few kicking around. I assume you'd have to go against some nerd collector to get it, though. Stick with a $300 moogerfooger.

it is technically a pedal but you can still use it manually the way lee does in the video. Theres been alot of argument over which version of the unit he used. I know in that ""People Funny Boy" it lists the equipment used at the black ark from 73-75 and it states that it is "an early demo model" of the bi-phase..though if you look closely in the video it's definitely not the Mu-tron phase synth prototype, Mu-tron VII or the mu-tron II phase prototype(the one everyone thinks was used by scratch) which were the only three prototypes put out by mu-tron. It may be some form of "early demo version" of the mutron bi-phase but it's probably not too far off from the one they put into production. I have an original and it's sound is fucking amazing and unlike anything else you can get. Each side by itself is pretty basic in phase sound but once get into some of the advance sounds through different patches you can see where scratch couldve got his sounds. the box is pretty big, about the size of an MPC, and really changed the sound of alot of music. i know it was the "secret weapon" for alot of bands in the 70's and i remember hearing that the smashing pumpkins ran everything through it on the siamese dream album. I think theyre running for about a grand now so if you see one on the pretty cheap pick it up cause i dont think the price will be dropping.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i ran a mono drum mix through my friends pedal version (impedence matching and all) and its sounded pretty gnarly. wish i tried other stuff. he had two space echos and an echoplex in the shop. i wanted to rob this kid pretty badly.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

and a big thanks to Bambouche for posting that superphasing picture. Thats actually one of the placards that came with it originally and are harder to find than the actual biphase itself. the "superphase" is the one ive been looking for and is the one scratch has on his biphase in that video. thanks!

• DOPE[/b]

DOPE[/b]

DOPE[/b]

thanks!

definitely getting a copy of the dvd. scratch going off on the black magic of sound is

I've seen a couple other budget reggae films/docs, but this one (from what I've already seen) blows em outta the water.