Is this for real? Mustafa Ozkent BBoy LP ???

wznwzn 16 Posts
edited June 2016 in Music Talk
This LP has some of best bboy breaks I've ever head, ever!This seems so unreal, that a turkish lp from 1973 has this bronx bboy breaks that are made for toprocking, uprocking, ... .Has anybody any background info on this?

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Are ebay descriptions taking over the record review lexicon?
    Wow.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    There's plenty here to make even the most horizontal of home listeners grin with childish glee!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Are dustygroove descriptions taking over the record review lexicon?
    Wow.

• This seems so unreal, that a turkish lp from 1973 has this bronx bboy breaks that are made for toprocking, uprocking, ...

That is comically backwards logic.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i like!

This seems so unreal, that a turkish lp from 1973 has this bronx bboy breaks that are made for toprocking, uprocking, ...

You sound like a most horizontal home listener, son.

• wznwzn 16 Posts
    So you all think this is no fake?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    So you all think this is no fake?

please extrapolate. ive hurd the record its pretty . the reissue sold out @ othermusic the first couple days they had it last year (for what its worth).

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    on boomkat its available as a cd, right?

• So you all think this is no fake?

I am certain I saw a copy on ebay oh 6-ish months ago. Perhaps the same copy used for the reissue. Not a fake.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I>Turkish Fever...Catch it!/I>™ ('cause Brazilian & Disco joints are soooo last year).

• I>Turkish Fever...Catch it!
    /I>???

Deserving of a photochop to accompany BEYOND POPSIKE

• I>Turkish Fever...Catch it!
    /I>??? ('cause Brazilian & Disco joints are soooo last year).

Yeah thematic migration of interest has left me dry lately too.

Altho you can't beat the prices on the non-flavour du jour records!

• rummyrummy 11 Posts
    All messing aside, its a good album..still available from here:

http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/discog_mustafa.html

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

This seems so unreal, that a turkish lp from 1973 has this bronx bboy breaks that are made for toprocking, uprocking, ...

Maybe Mustafa IS Hip Hop? Or maybe Mustafa is Hip Hop.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

i think its the other way around.

Horizontal Bboy.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Horizontal Bboy.

yea what exactly does horizontal listener mean?

Horizontal Bboy.

yea what exactly does horizontal listener mean?

I think they are trying to call it Lounge Braekz. Shit's though.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    If you don't mind CDs, they're still in stock at Dusty Groove:

http://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?kwfilter=mustafa+oz&x=0&y=0&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1

• Don't believe the hype, folks; this record is tepid library-style funk at best.

Don't believe the hype, folks; this record is tepid library-style funk at best.

All diggeur trends are based on the discovery of tepid funk in unexpected places.

Don't believe the hype, folks; this record is tepid library-style funk at best.

Well ... to each their own, I guess. Not saying its the best thing out there, but its rare to find an album with such a heavy concentration of b-boy friendly conga/drum breaks in every song.

But, yeah, it does have a "library" feel so you can't really talk about it having "great" songs ... they are repetitive rhythm section workouts with melodies that are less than memorable. Dunno ... not earth shattering but I wouldn't call it tepid.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Egon has called it "...like Madlib jamming with KPM all stars in 1972 conducted by Arif Marden inside of a huge Hookah packed by Crazy Legs and uh, Madlib...foreign funk genius on a plateau we will never truly understand or appreciate for generations".

foreign funk genius on a plateau we will never truly understand or appreciate for generations".

It would be interesting to learn more about the players, the scene/atmosphere. Those are some heavy heavy drums ... wonder what a live performance was like. Were people in the crowd going absolutely buck wild? (Or was this just a studio project?)

Sounds like a job one of the Wax Poetics writers ... maybe Egon.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    it alright. I seem to remember a Mustafa Ozkent LP going for 500 on the bay a few years ago to jazzman i think. I don't know if it was this one or not.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    It was thsi one that Jazzman bought, I know because it was he and I bidding on it!

This LP is seriously good (imo)

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    my gf and i have a friend from turkey staying with us until the end of the week. i keep asking her about all types of turkish music with western influences. people like baris manco and albums like the trt ara muzikleri (basically a turkish library lp). instruments like the ney (flute like) and the saz (guitar/ sitar like). i also keep asking her to help my dumb american ass with lyric translation. the title of the mustafa ozkent lp is hand in hand with the youth... if anyone was wondering.

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    HI

i work for Finders Keepers, it's not a hoax LP........ and it's certainly not tepid... but I would say that.

it's heavily sleevenoted so you can get plenty of info there.

ez
    b

Egon has called it "...like Madlib jamming with KPM all stars in 1972 conducted by Arif Marden inside of a huge Hookah packed by Crazy Legs and uh, Madlib...foreign funk genius on a plateau we will never truly understand or appreciate for generations".

I feel a little nauseous.

Jeezus.