Oats & Hall Appreciation

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I'm listening to pure 80's this morning and I can't lie. These dudes were great. Whats ur fav track?

Comments

• "I Can't Go For That" is the jam.. obviously anything off of "Rock N Roll Hits Vol. 1" or whatever that album's called. I bought multiple copies in case of emergencies.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    "I Want To Know You For A Long Time" is an underheard classic, done up in authentic-sounding Philly soul style and produced by Arif Mardin, I believe. From the "No Goodbyes" Atlantic-era compilation.

Can also be found on this:

SG

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Don't we have a Hall & Oats appreciation thread every 6 months or so? I know from our last one that DeeRock is a fan.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Don't we have a Hall & Oats appreciation thread every 6 months or so?

Thank You.

Hall & Oates are well accepted by now and not seen as the 1980's MTV regulars anymore.
    But I guess cats might discover them later than before and are impressed w/ their take of Blue Eyed Soul.

Every Time You Go Away is my fav.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Dude, it's Hall and Oates[/b]. Step your Yacht Rock game up.

We need more album covers like this;

Certified dollar-bin gems;

"She's Gone" is still my favourite. I don't celebrate their entire catalogue, but it's pretty damn close. I met Daryl Hall once. Sad to say, he seemed like a bit of a dick but it was hard to tell, because he refused to speak to me directly, relying on his assistant to convey his wishes instead.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yacht Rock episode 2.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• "you make my dreams" always gets me dancing--- yacht rock me up!!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Awwww you guyz mistaken my appreciation.

I've been listening to their tracks since the late 70's. Ever since my mom use to blast them along with Barry White & Blondie. And yes, I remember the last post of appreciation. But the music gets me high on life. And there are kids out there that don't know what time it is.

Oh and I put Oats in front of Hall because Daryl always got the shine.

Appreciate sum OATS BITCHES!!! He was a handsome muthafucker!!!

I like Hall and Oates and, yes, Daryl's the man. I saw them play about a year or so ago and although John clearly saw himself as the star it was Daryl that stole the show. John looked kind of pissed off whenever his partner got some appreciation from the crowd.

I like Hall and Oates and, yes, Daryl's the man. I saw them play about a year or so ago and although John clearly saw himself as the star it was Daryl that stole the show. John looked kind of pissed off whenever his partner got some appreciation from the crowd.

You'd be piss too if nobody ever really Appreciated your hard work with The Parachute Club.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Ok, can someone explain this. Is Oates the musical guy or something or is it 50/50 when comes to writing.
    John hasnt gotten past that shit yet in 2007.WTF. Hall is the lead singer, deal w/ it.

You'd be piss too if nobody ever really Appreciated your hard work with The Parachute Club.

Not even in Toronto? Someone somewhere must have appreciated that noise. Not me, obviously, but someone...

Not even in Toronto? Someone somewhere must have appreciated that noise. Not me, obviously, but someone...

Fuck, don't even get me started on appreciation in Toronto. Heads here got their noggins so far up RUSH's ass. They don't know the deal.

Maybe I should have done a damn Gino Vannelli thread & Appreciation.

Fuck, don't even get me started on appreciation in Toronto. Heads here got their noggins so far up RUSH's ass. They don't know the deal.

• don't forget the Temptones either

Another dollar-bin legend/overlooked Yacht Rock pioneer. I remember sitting around at a friend's about ten years ago now, smoking and gassing about music as you do, and his roommate put on a Gino Vanelli album - I think it was "Powerful People" - and I was like, "I didn't know you liked this guy". He couldn't believe I even knew who he was. He thought Gino Vanelli was his secret. "Forgotten genius" was the term he used, which was maybe a little strong. Still, I thought the guy had some good tunes, and he kinda had the prog-rock/blue-eyed soul field pretty much to himself for a minute back then.

• keep an eye out for the Hall and Oates Live lp from 1979 or so...amazing concert and they do this epic version of "Sara Smile" that has a dope break.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    And John Oates will always go down as the dude with the best mustache. Forget that Selleck clown! I bet gurls back in the day were lining up for a mustache ride.

Oates without 'stache =

And John Oates will always go down as the dude with the best mustache. Forget that Selleck clown! I bet gurls back in the day were lining up for a mustache ride.

Oates without 'stache =

John Oates' mustache got its own myspace, batchezzz

• OK, i've got this one:

http://image.listen.com/img/170x170/8/6/1/3/273168_170x170.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the meaning of the lyrics in the final track -

"Soldering is what the young girl wants
    Soldering is what the young girl needs"

Some kind of euphemism/slang?

• i celebrate their entire catalog but my fav's are: "rich girl" "she's gone" and "sara smile"
    peace, stein. . .

• A few years ago when we had the first annual SF karoake jump-off (or was it the second one?). My heart was fluttering with the hopes that they would have "your kiss is on my lips". Needless to say I was dissapointed and shocked.

Anyone ever hear the reggae version of "Sara Smile". It cool in a novelty sort of way.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    "sara smile"
    peace, stein. . .

Yo Stein,

That song is one of my karaoke staples (Big Stacks's smooth tenor-related). I get requests for it often.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i celebrate their entire catalog