Favourite Freddie Hubbard LP ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Discuss......I will go with "First Light"

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Atlantic Hubbard:

Solid chops from the likes of Ray Barretto, Bob Cunningham and James Spaulding all the way through. "Little Sunflower" is a melody. El Chicano gets an honorable mention for doing a dope coverversion of this on their "Cinco" LP.

CTI Hubbard:

The live version of "Povo" is fantastic. Herbie, Jack and Ron are killin' that groove. You can put anybody on top of that and make shit smell like Chanel.

Columbia Hubbard:

Underrated fusion set from Hub. I especially like "Baraka Sasa". Great overall playing here from the experienced (George Cables, Junior Cook) and the young bucks (Ralph Penland, Kent Brinkley).

• Backlash gets my vote...

Little sunflower is cold!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Honestly, Red Clay

• For the cover... and "Mr. Clean"

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

CTI Hubbard:

The live version of "Povo" is fantastic. Herbie, Jack and Ron are killin' that groove. You can put anybody on top of that and make shit smell like Chanel.

yeah that shit is dope

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Backlash gets my vote...

Little sunflower is cold!

Pulling some Hubbard records out from the top shelf (years ago), I (by mistake) dropped them on the floor, heard a cracking sound, looked down, and there was my Backlash vinyl, broken...aauuw... That kinda hurt !!!

CTI Hubbard:

yeah that shit is dope

In Concert Volume Two are also VERY recomendable, there's some ill live versions of Hornets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss......

I will go with "First Light"

• Also features one of my other faves, Tina Brooks.

Honestly, Red Clay

January 1970, very very DOPE !!!

Listning to the Space Odyssey track with Marcus Belgrave for the first time, I recall being like this is definitely some shit,...and the groove kinda sounds a bit like Red Clay...

The Black Angel, Hubbard's last album for Atlantic (dopeass cover), there's a track, Gittin' Down (with Kenny Barron), my kind of steez !!!

Actually, its a bit difficult chosing favorite's, I like all those Freddie Hubbard joints !!!

peace-

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Honestly, Red Clay

yep

and what abt this ?

probably the greasy-est of em all

and what abt this ?

probably the greasy-est of em all

Killer souljazz, superfunky nitty gritty stylee,... and for the beatheads, check out the drumbreaks on South Street Stroll, fat and nasty !!!
    Also dig versions of Good Humor Man and Soul Turn Around.
    This LP is a musthave....................................................!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Honestly, Red Clay

yep

Co-sign.

Although I'm also quite partial to the version of 'mr clean' on Straight Life.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

Also features one of my other faves, Tina Brooks.

Thank you.

The Blue Note shit comes first! All of them. Then the the two on Impulse. After that I'll go for some Atlantics. Then Striaght Life and Red clay. The rest of the CTIs are fine, but not all that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Also features one of my other faves, Tina Brooks.

Thank you.

The Blue Note shit comes first! All of them. Then the the two on Impulse. After that I'll go for some Atlantics. Then Straight Life and Red clay. The rest of the CTIs are fine, but not all that.

I would rank them in exactly the same order.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

The Blue Note shit comes first! All of them. Then the the two on Impulse. After that I'll go for some Atlantics. Then Striaght Life and Red clay. The rest of the CTIs are fine, but not all that.

then this just for gibraltar

• nickjnickj 53 Posts
    My thoughts exactly.

This one is somewhat overlooked, but a favorite of mine. More modal, less typical Blue Note hard bop.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Honestly, Red Clay

yep

his 'live at northsea' typically gets no love due to it's early 80's release date but i've yet to hear a better version of red clay.. i'd go so far as to say that it tops his OG recording.