Asha Puthli (whats good/not? related)

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
anything..? or is it all kitch/terds?

Comments

• to me, not. I had the lp with 'right down here' on it, and ditched it...bit too cheesy.

• anything..? or is it all kitch/terds?

both of you take your mouths off. "right down here" is one of greatest sexy lady songs of all time. and flying fis, space talk record is lovely enough (and it has those coke-classy poses on the back cover, what!!!)

and to hatter, called her cheesy dude....gently place asha in your own private unattainable women file, cause shes out of reach for you hopps.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i had the pleasure of meeting asha about six months ago when i pulled up at my house and she was sitting on the porch with her son (my next door neighbor). she was the most outgoing friendly woman i've ever met. incredibly funny too.

when i met her she had just won a settlement for a song of hers that biggy used on 'life after' that they didn't legally license and she was talking all types of mess about diddy -- but in a funny kind hearted kind of way. she invited herself into my house rummaged through the records and talked her head off.

she also said 'you've been loud too long' (a great song) was based on a flamboyant tranny she lived with in NY for a while in the early 70s.
    more stories but gotta run
    anyway, i had a lot of for asha before i met her and ever more afterwards.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I like Asha's stuff, these two in particular:

http://ashaputhli.com/Music/SoloAlbums/t...ct/Default.aspx

http://ashaputhli.com/Music/SoloAlbums/t...ct/Default.aspx

She's an acquired flavor - definitely not for everyone - but I dig her style.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I've listened to two of her records. This was the one that I really liked and hence own.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1594

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    it's all about her guest shots.. check for a charlie mariano rekkid called 'mirror', an easy find on Atlantic. she's' got one track on there, by far the hi-lite of the jawn..

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I've listened to two of her records. This was the one that I really liked and hence own.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1594

this is definitly growing on me now. thanks for the heated debate.

Dudes, I just met Asha - she's speaking at the EMP conf in Seattle this weekend...and the first thing she says to me is this:

"I've been waiting to meet you for years! You're my facebook friend! Your daughter is adorable!"

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

Favoriite song by Asha. She is not even close to be a favorite singer of mine but the song is great.

• i enjoy her singing on ornette coleman's underrated "science fiction" album..

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Favoriite song by Asha. She is not even close to be a favorite singer of mine but the song is great.

hell yea.. when i found that on 45 i was like :

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

hell yea.. when i found that on 45 i was like :

I was going to mention this song, shit is the butter jams.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    peek-a-boo boogie

what a jam...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    i enjoy her singing on ornette coleman's underrated "science fiction" album..

that shit was kinda face melting when I first picked up that LP...I had never heard anything like those tracks she sings on...

• casbahcasbah 57 Posts
    you dudes with the personal Asha hook up plaese to tell her next time you see her that she is big time awesome! Remember hearing "Space Talk" for the first time many years ago - unforgettable wtf is up with that bass-line/voice moment.

My Strutters...Asha gave a talk here about her career and brought the f*cking house down repeatedly.

The money quote came when she was talking about how she thinks Andy Warhol bit one of her ideas for the cover of "Sticky Fingers" and she was pointing out that the album title makes no sense since, and I quote:

"Who would want to jerk off to the Rolling Stones?"

Straight

I turned to Ann Powers (LA Times pop critic) and said, "we have to get her to do something in LA".

BTW: I didn't realize she recorded with the Peter Ivers Band in '71 (this was after the "Blue Communion" album). Epic deaded the album from getting release but they did put out a single, an unlikely cover of "Ain't That Peculiar."

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io