Manship Price Guide

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited June 2005 in Vinyl Wants / Trades
If anyone has a Manship Price Guide (3rd Ed. preferred) that they don't need anymore, let me know. I will pay cash (though I'm looking to save a few bucks off the official price). I don't care if it's in used condition as long as there's no cat pee stains or whatever.

Comments

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    can't you get that thing online for like 40. sounds like a good investment.

• Dave,
    I think it's $50 off manship's site. I don't know if that includes shipping though. Figured there might be someone around here that doesn't need theirs anymore though.

• Options
    There's a similar book put out by Dave Brown and Martin Kopula (of Kop's fame) that worth getting as a substitute.

K.

• There's a similar book put out by Dave Brown and Martin Kopula (of Kop's fame) that worth getting as a substitute.

K.

Where can I order this from? I didn't have any luck with google. Are the prices more realistic than Manship?

• Options
    They are UKcentric but, yeah, I think they're more in line with world demand. But that's my (one man's) take on all encompassing knowledge.

Call this record store here in Toronto (416) 297 5585 and ask for Henry - he should be able to set you up. Tell him Kevin sent you.

K in Canada.

• What type of records are priced?

• Options
    NOrthern soul and funk. He's open 12-5 Eastern Standard Time.

K.

• If anyone was trying to PM me about this Manship guide, my PMs are turned on now, so try again. That is all.

• galaxygalaxy 62 Posts
    There's a similar book put out by Dave Brown and Martin Kopula (of Kop's fame) that worth getting as a substitute.

K.

has anybody seen this maybe in Europe? Need it.

• you may want to look into the funk lexicon (when it gets printed)

http://www.funk.ch/

• Options
    Marin has a store in (Manchester?) the UK, so I'd wager it's available overe there, too.

K.

• galaxygalaxy 62 Posts
    you may want to look into the funk lexicon (when it gets printed)

yeah waiting for lexikon too! but would love to get my hands o other books too.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

K.

I'm not trying to be nit picky but just to help anyone that is trying to track down a copy of this book (myself included) if by author. Its written by Tim Brown and Martin Koppel finding books you want can be a pain alone and especially if you get the wrong names by mistake. I may have to give your boy's store a ring on this one.

Here is what Dusty groove had on the book before they sold out of copies. I have been waiting, hoping they will manage to restock this one since January.

Martin Koppel & Tim Brown -- Essential Northern Soul Price Guide . . . Book . . . $26.99 (Out Of Stock)
    Goldmine (UK), 2004 Condition: New Copy
    A tremendous reference book -- one that's essential for any fan of classic soul! The book's ostensibly a price guide -- and features rough UK pricing for over 20,000 hard to find singles. But the real charm, to us, is the way that the book breaks down the music -- by listing artists alphabetically, then running through important singles along with original label of release, catalog numbers, and genre -- telling you whether a record is Northern Soul, R&B, 70s, modern, mod, or pop! We can't say that we support the prices -- because, like shopping on Ebay, pricing rare records is tricky tricky business. But we can say that the book is essential when you're out digging for records, as it will help you figure out what's harder to find and what it might sound like! The book features a few label scans of rare records in full color, but most of the 342 oversize pages are in black and white -- laid out very clearly, in an easy to read style that makes the whole thing a delight!

• There's a similar book put out by Dave Brown and Martin Kopula (of Kop's fame) that worth getting as a substitute.

K.

I'm not trying to be nit picky but just to help anyone that is trying to track down a copy of this book (myself included) if by author. Its written by Tim Brown and Martin Koppel finding books you want can be a pain alone and especially if you get the wrong names by mistake. I may have to give your boy's store a ring on this one.

Here is what Dusty groove had on the book before they sold out of copies. I have been waiting, hoping they will manage to restock this one since January.

Martin Koppel & Tim Brown -- Essential Northern Soul Price Guide . . . Book . . . $26.99 (Out Of Stock)
    A tremendous reference book -- one that's essential for any fan of classic soul! The book's ostensibly a price guide -- and features rough UK pricing for over 20,000 hard to find singles. But the real charm, to us, is the way that the book breaks down the music -- by listing artists alphabetically, then running through important singles along with original label of release, catalog numbers, and genre -- telling you whether a record is Northern Soul, R&B, 70s, modern, mod, or pop! We can't say that we support the prices -- because, like shopping on Ebay, pricing rare records is tricky tricky business. But we can say that the book is essential when you're out digging for records, as it will help you figure out what's harder to find and what it might sound like! The book features a few label scans of rare records in full color, but most of the 342 oversize pages are in black and white -- laid out very clearly, in an easy to read style that makes the whole thing a delight!

I got in touch with Kop's and they still have copies for sale. I believe they quoted me $50 including shipping.

• Options

K.

I got in touch with Kop's and they still have copies for sale. I believe they quoted me $50 including shipping.

Call Henry and tell him I sent you (KEvin) - you might get a better price.

K.

P.S. i always spell Martin's name wrong!

• Options

K.

Call Henry and tell him I sent you (KEvin) - you might get a better price.

K.

P.S. i always spell Martin's name wrong! It comes froma derogatory nickname we made up for him (and it's stuck).

• P.S. i always spell Martin's name wrong! It comes froma derogatory nickname we made up for him (and it's stuck).

Thanks in no small part to our friend Symon's full time problem with pronouncing/spelling names correctly!

• Call Henry and tell him I sent you (KEvin) - you might get a better price.

K.

I spoke with Henry and it didn't sound like he had any in stock. He said it would be easier to deal with Kopp's directly.

• you may want to look into the funk lexicon (when it gets printed)

yeah waiting for lexikon too! but would love to get my hands o other books too.

Available now to be ordered at Funky & Groovy Music Records Lexicon 2005 - Ready now!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If anyone has a Manship Price Guide (3rd Ed. preferred) that they don't need anymore, let me know. I will pay cash (though I'm looking to save a few bucks off the official price). I don't care if it's in used condition as long as there's no cat pee stains or whatever.

I just got a copy, and I'm going to keep it. Can't have too many reference books. For those who can have too many reference books, I think all the records and prices are listed on his web site.

Dan