good mixers for

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
a bunch less if possible. 2 channel, maybe 3, doesn't sound like ass. I have an oldish Stanton SA-3 that sounds pretty good but they discontinued it. More recent cheapo Stantons I have used sound like the internal wiring is made of sillystring.Come on, what would you get if you weren't all such ballers?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i'd go for this though. should last you 4evar. best this side of rane.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vestax-PMC05PROIII-DJ-Mixer?sku=633207

• i'd sell you my old vestax 05proII for $150. im too lazy to ship, but if you live any where near philly and want to pick it up, its yours.

• I'm certainly no baller, and this is what I've got at home. Solid, simple, easy to use. A couple years of daily abuse and it still looks and acts like the day I bought it.

That Vestax does look fantastic though.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2701693/

• this one's a little above the $300 range, but I was wondering about it myself.
    AEM-100i

Anyone have/use this? I was considering getting the TTM-56, but was curious if this was a good way to go.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I would not shy away from finding a deal on ebay. I didnt want to pay 950 for a rane empath so I got one on ebay for 600. I found one with a 7 day garauntee and had my boy who works on ranes check it out for me.

also go to guitare center and hagle. those dudes try to move serious volume and you can catch a deal.

while I was doing my research as to what I needed in my next mixer, what was out there, what price points things were at, etc. I reached out to a connect at GC with some mixer models and simply asked what price I could get things at. It was a long list and had mixers in the 300 range all the way up to some 1500 dolla mixers.

I recall the dude said both of these mixers could be had for around 300 or a little more:

allen and heath xone2:

http://www.djdeals.com/allenheathXONE02.htm

ecler nuo 3:

http://www.djdeals.com/eclerNUO3.htm

both sound a lot better then most things at this price point. the ecler comes with a good crossfader and can be upgraded to the eternal xfader which is very similar to the rane xfader in the 56 (the ecler xfader has a 5 year warrantee). it also has great kills on the eq

the xone2 has a p&g crossfader and can be upgraded to the pro-x-fade. it doesnt have kills on the eq but its close. despite being a two upfader mixer you can actually adjust volume on 4 different sources independantly.

there is also an ecler nuo 2 that is SLIM. I think it retails for 300 or 250. dj deals offers this as well, just look around for it. you cannot upgrade the crossfader though. it retains the same high standard of sound quality though.

I would look around for a used pioneer 707 as a possibility. before they were discontinued they were selling for 300. you could probobly find it for that. I dont think pioneer has that great of sound. I use the 4 channel djm-600 on the weekends and dont like its fidelity one bit. plus the levels are real screwy. you dont get an accurate reading of whats happening. however, I have some friends that own it and love it.

hope that helps, and good luck.

oh! I recently saw some ecler hak mixers on ebay sell for 300 and less. I think one went for 180. this line is similar to the rane ttm line. you may want to check it out.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    much obliged folks.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    this one's a little above the $300 range, but I was wondering about it myself.
    AEM-100i

Anyone have/use this? I was considering getting the TTM-56, but was curious if this was a good way to go.

The AEM is the best-priced mixer out there these days. Vestax's made in China sound like shit to my ears, they have a ton of power but the electronics inside are shady business. Audio Innovate is a new company founded by an ex-Numark engineer. The AEM has a proXfade (the reigning favorite crossfader of internet scratch nerds & a few real people) & some crazy dope analog effects. Analog effects, a solid crossfader, and good sound quality = a damn good deal.

That said, the 56 is the standard (hate that crossfader though) and has killer sound quality.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    stay away from vestax, they have awful sound, stanton SA series can be had for very cheap and have balanced out and rate just below the rane, with the focus SA 5 (not sure if you can still get them though) they came with the FF2 and the P&G fader, i used to go through a vestax fader every month or so, the P&G in my stanton has lasted me around 3 years
    http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_sa5.asp

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i love the a&h xone:02. thinking of switching back to my old love.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This thread is great, I didn't even know about the AEM, can't wait to hear what those analog effects sound like. Uber-excited.

I'd like to add another question to this thread. My band is looking for a Mixer with at least 12 channels that can record 12 independent streams of music to a laptop via USB or Firewire. We would like to spend less than $500 if possible. So far we're looking at Alesis, but some deals are starting to pick up on Craigslist, and we really don't need any build in effects unit.

Thoughts, Suggestions?

- spidey

I'd like to add another question to this thread. My band is looking for a Mixer with at least 12 channels that can record 12 independent streams of music to a laptop via USB or Firewire. We would like to spend less than $500 if possible. So far we're looking at Alesis, but some deals are starting to pick up on Craigslist, and we really don't need any build in effects unit.

You want a 12 channel audio interface & mixer for less than $500? good luck with that one. This is basically exactly what you're looking for, and it's a great product, but it's gonna cost you $800 if you want the firewire connectivity:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Onyx1220

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    This thread is great, I didn't even know about the AEM, can't wait to hear what those analog effects sound like. Uber-excited.

Thoughts, Suggestions?

- spidey

that might be your best bet for now unless you can hold out for a lil bit.

korg is coming out with these firewire dj mixers that are designed a lil more like recording desks. They just debuted at this winter Namm last week. dont know when its coming out.

someone else has a firewire mixer for a reasonable amount of money and a lot of input but I just cant recall right now....

call sweetwater. they will help you out

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    stay away from vestax, they have awful sound, stanton SA series can be had for very cheap and have balanced out and rate just below the rane, with the focus SA 5 (not sure if you can still get them though) they came with the FF2 and the P&G fader, i used to go through a vestax fader every month or so, the P&G in my stanton has lasted me around 3 years

how do you loosen up your P&G faders? I need to butter mine up a bit....caig fluid?

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    AEM-100i

The AEM is the best-priced mixer out there these days. Vestax's made in China sound like shit to my ears, they have a ton of power but the electronics inside are shady business. Audio Innovate is a new company founded by an ex-Numark engineer. The AEM has a proXfade (the reigning favorite crossfader of internet scratch nerds & a few real people) & some crazy dope analog effects. Analog effects, a solid crossfader, and good sound quality = a damn good deal.

That said, the 56 is the standard (hate that crossfader though) and has killer sound quality.

I thought the AEM didnt have analog effects in the way of delay and whatnot but in the form of "fx" as in a built int synth that you could program. anyone use one first hand?

AEM-100i

I thought the AEM didnt have analog effects in the way of delay and whatnot but in the form of "fx" as in a built int synth that you could program. anyone use one first hand?

The AEM has pitch, digitize, stutter, phaser, filters, and an oscillator, which are all effects that yes, you'd normally find on a synth. And you can generate tones with them. But it's not a synth by any means.

Having analog delay/echo in a DJ mixer would be nearly impossible. The AEM effects are not effects like you'd find on a Pioneer EFX-500, you use them very differently.

Well, yeah, buying that additional Firewire card is nagl. Today on Craigslist there was a Mackie 1642 for sale $300 but I found out, there's no computer connectivity. Also a Mackie Onyx 1620 for $600, but then I found out the firewire card costs like $300..

So, eh.... $800 is breaking my broke ass bands bank.

- spidey

that might be your best bet for now unless you can hold out for a lil bit.

korg is coming out with these firewire dj mixers that are designed a lil more like recording desks. They just debuted at this winter Namm last week. dont know when its coming out.

someone else has a firewire mixer for a reasonable amount of money and a lot of input but I just cant recall right now....

call sweetwater. they will help you out

Perfect, I will do this tomorrow thanks.

- spidey

For those of you who were wondering (none of you).

I think I'm going to end up getting the Phonic Helixboard 18 Firewire.

The M-audio Nrv10 has no substantial reviews on it. The Alesis has too many Negative reviews. The Helix Board has plenty of reviews which all pretty much say the same thing competitive with Mackie for the Money, the major downside is a built in Fan. The slight whir from the fan. Which I'm sure I can overcome. The new Korg series doesn't look intensive on the mixing eq variety. In fact it's sole purpose is to be a midi interface for software applications.

- spidey

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    For those of you who were wondering (none of you).

I think I'm going to end up getting the Phonic Helixboard 18 Firewire.

The M-audio Nrv10 has no substantial reviews on it. The Alesis has too many Negative reviews. The Helix Board has plenty of reviews which all pretty much say the same thing competitive with Mackie for the Money, the major downside is a built in Fan. The slight whir from the fan. Which I'm sure I can overcome. The new Korg series doesn't look intensive on the mixing eq variety. In fact it's sole purpose is to be a midi interface for software applications.

- spidey

yeah, thats the one I couldnt recall. good luck with it

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Had to bump this again...I am thinking of acquiring that vestax 05 pro with the sampler, because I want to incorporate some foot pedal work and stuff. What scares me are the VCA faders. How long do they last in general? I still rock an old 05 pro and the fader is like shit right now, as it starts really quiet and gets louder, where it should just cut into the signal. And is this a good tool (05 pro with sampler) for that price range? How are the effects? Anyone rocking it? Or shall I go with the pioneer 909? That one is costly though...which rane has a sampler and foot pedal possibility? That Aem 100i looks nice, but the line faders are so far away from each other...

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    Had to bump this again...I am thinking of acquiring that vestax 05 pro with the sampler, because I want to incorporate some foot pedal work and stuff. What scares me are the VCA faders. How long do they last in general? I still rock an old 05 pro and the fader is like shit right now, as it starts really quiet and gets louder, where it should just cut into the signal. And is this a good tool (05 pro with sampler) for that price range? How are the effects? Anyone rocking it? Or shall I go with the pioneer 909? That one is costly though...which rane has a sampler and foot pedal possibility? That Aem 100i looks nice, but the line faders are so far away from each other...

il try to help you out here as much as I can.

vestax fader: no longer cutting edge technology, very flimsy stem that snaps easily, wears out with a good amount of scratching. you can upgrade this mixer with the pro-x-fade which from what I hear is real real nice.

you may want to look at finding a urei 1601s. it has an interesting integrated sampler that seems more advanced then the one in the vestax. last i saw these were going in the 400 range? the fader is decent but the fader cap is too small. you could try to put a different cap on it or replace it down the line with the pro-x-fade (fits in there as well).

this piece also has blanced outs I believe, a much better eq, and some other nice features.

I dont know if the 909 has sampling built in...youd have to check though....but I thought it just had integrated touch screen effects.

the rane with the footpedal is the ttm-57ssl. you need to have a laptop to really take advantage of this otherwise it wont work.

you may want to look at getting a mixer and a seperate sampler. this way you can get a mixer that fits your mixer needs and a sampler that fits your sampling needs.

• this one's a little above the $300 range, but I was wondering about it myself.
    AEM-100i

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the AEM-100i.

Audio Innovate contact info

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

you may want to look at finding a urei 1601s. it has an interesting integrated sampler that seems more advanced then the one in the vestax. last i saw these were going in the 400 range? the fader is decent but the fader cap is too small. you could try to put a different cap on it or replace it down the line with the pro-x-fade (fits in there as well).

this piece also has blanced outs I believe, a much better eq, and some other nice features.

i rock a 1601s and am very happy the eq is killer sounds brilliant.
    plus ya can connect two footpedal switches for the two bank sampler.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Stay away from Stanton. Period. Shit is garbage.

i rock a 1601s and am very happy the eq is killer sounds brilliant.

plus ya can connect two footpedal switches for the two bank sampler.

The Vestax used to be good. Now it just won't cut it sound quality & longevity wise. The 1601 series is a great concept, has solid sound, but if you are at all picky about faders I'd stay away. They are so junky.

If you want to do live looping, I'd either use Ableton or the Boss RC-20 and a mixer with an effects loop.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    This may or may not be helpful, but if you're looking seriously at live looping here's what I use:

+

+

+

+

+ two tech 12s

Might be overkill for what you want, but the most expensive part is the mixer which was only $250 when I bought it 2 years back (the 707 is the same guts as the 909 minus the fancy touchscreen effects).