SO ICEY REDUX

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Heard it for the first time on NY radio on Friday, then heard it coming in through my window from the street earlier today.ALL THESE GIRLS EXCITEDOOH YOU KNOW THEY LIKE ITIM SO ICEEEEYSO ICEEEEEYGIRL DONT TRY TO FIGHT ITALL YOUR FRIENDS INVITEDIM SO ICEYSO ICEYI never would have predicted that this would have been more than a regional hit--I wonder if the newfound exposure is related to Gucci Mane's arrest. [Archaic]I gotta admit I like this song a lot more than I initially did now that I realize the power it has to annoy some of you dudes.[/Archaic] Apparently it sounds just like fingernails on a chalkboard to some people. A national summer jam contender? It's certainly sufficiently silly with that vocoder chorus.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Also:

Uh, you gotta be a dimepiece
    Just to look at the rocks in my timepiece

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Also:

Uuuuuuuh, you gotta be a dimepiece
    Just to look at the rocks in my timepiece

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    its kinda funny how that song spreads. But it think its more about hype over young jeezy. cause gucci man's album dropped and did like 10k. COuld be a slow starter, but i think the publicity did help.

its kinda funny how that song spreads. But it think its more about hype over young jeezy. cause gucci man's album dropped and did like 10k. COuld be a slow starter, but i think the publicity did help.

Well there are plenty of people on the board with a better grasp of the industry than me, but I don't think 10K seems like a terrible first week number for an independent.

I assume Jeezy's got an official single at this point, since his album is being advertised as dropping on the 28th, but I haven't heard it at all up here.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Where can someone outside of every region hear this track?

Gotta be all over the internets at this point, man--shouldn't be tough to find.

Commentary from both satisfied and dissatisfied listeners:

oa ya my big homie gucci mane, May 30, 2005
    Reviewer: ???[/b]

this new cd trp house 100% gangsta ya dig? gucci mane is keepin it real down south, name another rapper right now that killed someone even if it was self defense name one, can you no you cant,, o and young jeezy needs to back off a gucci all cuz gucci is so icey and wouldnt let the song be on youngjeezys cd,,, jeezy a hater,,, o and like gucci mane said on rap city young jeezy a busta........... good cd highly recommend it!

Liked So Icy, May 29, 2005
    Reviewer: Preston (nc)[/b]

I have only heard So Icy, not the album. But even if Gucci Mane can come up with the silliest lyrics about his jewelry in that song, that song is so funky! Why isn't it even higher on the music charts? There must have been a live band in that studio on that song! Because the glistening percussion is so phenomenal. And the keyboards and basslines fit so perfectly with the beats and Gucci's raps. It is so infectious and catchy with its Atlanta sound and gives some of Lil' Jon's crunk-heavy records a run for their money. Maybe even the more acclaimed Outkast's hit songs. This is a hot song that could even challenge the very popular 50 Cent's recent hits of Candy Shop and Just a Lil' Bit. It sounds very 1986 with its Casio-like keyboard sound or mixing '80s excess with the 2005 bling style of New Orleans' Cash Money artists. While Mane has gotten in trouble as of recently, hopefully he can look past that and concentrate more on his music career. He will be a face to watch in music with his flamboyant rap style.

gucci mane is da man, May 29, 2005
    Reviewer: G-HOOD[/b]

gucci mane is inocent as hell.2 me jeezy aint nuthin but a fake ass mothafuka ripping everyones music i bet he might add so icy 2 his new ripped off album

o ya my mane man gucci mane, May 27, 2005
    Reviewer: ???[/b]

his murder case alredy shows u hes a certified gangsta! shoot young jeezy better back up man all cuz gucci so icey and young just tryin top rip gucci manes style... man just like wut gucci mane said bout jeezy on rap city......young jeezy is a busta!

That's Gangsta, May 26, 2005
    Reviewer: Prestley Snipes (Brooklyn, NY USA)[/b]

When I first heard "So Icey", it had to be the corniest song I'd ever heard in my life. Star was playing it in New York over and over on his morning show. It started to grow on me, but the catchy hook didn't take away from the fact that the song was just wack.

I went on a trip to Georgia to handle some business. "So Icey" was the only song they was playing on the radio. It started to grow on me. Then I bumped into these guys in Lennox Mall, they was really ICEY. I seen the two baby blue 360 Modenas parked valet. These guys are the truth. How could I hate?

I love that song now.

Now these guys try and rob Gucci and he bodied one of them. Thats what they get. He worked hard to get where he is, and you wanna try and take the little that he has away? He should have hit up more than one of them.

Hopefully he beats the case. But now let me get to my point.

What other rapper has KILLED anyone and its public?

Wow, he can brag all he wants now and be telling the truth. Now thats gangsta.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Well there are plenty of people on the board with a better grasp of the industry

paging johnny paychecks...

Well there are plenty of people on the board with a better grasp of the industry than me, but I don't think 10K seems like a terrible first week number for an independent.

I assume Jeezy's got an official single at this point, since his album is being advertised as dropping on the 28th, but I haven't heard it at all up here.

admittedly, most of my "industry knowledge" is derived from dudes posting soundscan numbers on allhiphop.com and saying "you lost" and shit like that.

but young jeezy is on mtv with that boyz in the hood track, and apart from that he has a solo deal with somebody. I remember a while back he was gonna come out with jazzy pha.

Hes also got one of those mtv you hear it first things going on right now, so who knows.

• I like Bun B's verse on "Over Here"

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I like Bun B's verse on "Over Here"

what he said

I like jeezy but he's a poorman's TI

but young jeezy is on mtv with that boyz in the hood track, and apart from that he has a solo deal with somebody.

Yeah, the solo album is the one that Def Jam is running print ads for and is supposed to drop on 6/28... which seems poorly thought out, since The Boyz N Tha Hood record is supposed to come only a week earlier. Sure it'll get pushed back.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

MTV JAMS

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Dirty version.

Acappella version.

I hope to check in here in a weeks' time and see a Gucci Mane remix beat-off thread, by the way.

This comes back to what I was saying in that Crazy Frog thread about the differences between a hit in the US and the UK. Because the UK isn't even the size of New York state, there isn't really such a thing as a regional hit over here. Something that may only be really selling in certain parts of the country will still get on the chart if it's shifting in big enough quantities. Example - a year or so back, a couple of guys put together a techno remix of Cube's "You Can Do It", which became a club hit in the Northwest and Scotland. Demand for the white labels was such that they approached Cube for clearance, and the legit release went Top 5 in the pop charts. Somewhat shrewdly, Cube gave his approval on the condition that his o.g. version was the plug side for radio and the lead track on the retail version, but it was still the remix that made the record a hit. It's fascinating to me that something like this probably wouldn't happen in the US, yet in the US it's possible for someone like Nelly to eventually reach worldwide superstar level off the back of a regional hit crossing over nationally like "Country Grammar" did.

generally, i dont think we play shit on the radio unless theres some dollars behind it. Regional hits get scooped up by big labels and let loose on the rest of the country. shit can take time to saturate over here. I think the uk is more like direct response to what people wanna hear, but its a smaller market like you said.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    This song is like perfect. Vocoder smoothed out chorus, thuged out verses where the beat gets more minimal... Who says you can't please everybody (everybody that likes southern rap at least). I think I've heard it on the radio out here but I'm not sure. Is there a video on Uncut? 'cause I mighta heard it there too.

• wow..i thought this was getting crazy airplay everywhere

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    2 questions...

1)Where the fuck did this Webbie dude come from?

2)Who the fuck do i pay to make Pretty Ricky disappear?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    1)Where the fuck did this Webbie dude come from?
    I'm feelin' that joint and it's gettin' big for bein' so damn dirty.
    2)Who the fuck do i pay to make Pretty Ricky disappear?
    Tell me about it! That fuckin jamster ring tone add is the worst, that one dude has the weirdest looking mouth/smile EVER, it's like as wide as his whole head.