MovieStrut Pan's Labyrinth

2»

Comments

• big cosign on this movie.

But for the folks that mentioned it, what about the violence got you? I mean, Saving Private Ryan was just as graphic as this, yet I've had several people say it freaked them out and when I went I was like "oh, I've seen people shot in the head before".

Crap, I thought Theo taking out Sid with a car battery in Children of Men was so much more next level gore than anything in Pan's Labyrinth, and don't even think about Saw III if you thought P'sL was violent.

My girlfriend is 1/2 spanish, and her dad and uncles were there when that ish was going down, so it hit her on a different level because they don't really talk about that time.

• Mesmerizing. It's been a long, long time since a film has "stayed" with me the way this one has.

I do think the fantasy and real worlds were integrated well in the storyline.... and I wouldn't say it was "simplistic." The fantasy elements seemed to relate directly to traumatic moments experienced by the little girl (i.e. uprooted from home, mom marries new guy, mom nearly miscarries, mom dies, mean dad takes baby brother, blood, war, explosions, death). This is about a child coping with all these things by creating an elaborate world of fairies, monsters, and magic kingdoms. Nothing simplistic about that. Incredible, really.

Related story:

My younger brother had horrific, recurring nightmares as a little boy -- monsters with deformed faces, chainsaw teeth, razor blade fingers. His screams were blood-curdling. He sometimes saw them while awake, he'd grow quiet, nervous, and jittery. My mom encouraged him to draw what he remembered from these dreams or what he saw in his room while awake. These drawings were no joke! (They could put the peek-a-boo infantivore to shame). Through making those drawings, though, he somehow "made friends" with the monsters and no more nightmares. He's a painter/filmmaker now, and obsessed with horror films. http://www.noslides.com/manuelangeja/

Manuel Angeja, "figure (ghost)" 2006

• Manuel Angeja, "figure (ghost)" 2006

Wow. This is awesome! Where can I see more?

- J

• Manuel Angeja, "head" [paper] 2006

• Manuel Angeja, "figure (ghost)" 2006

Wow. This is awesome! Where can I see more?

- J

In our foyer!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    i went with the girlfriend on saturday and after 5 minutes she couldnt take the violence. she was in the fetal position in her seat real quick nearly in tears. we had to bounce but luckily we got in free so it worked out. we ended up going home and watching tron.

I never leave movies, but I found this film gratuitously violent and for once, actually considered it. But since I was with five gay dudes, I figured if none of them weren't running off and screaming, I needed to 'man up" and sit tight for a bit. Overall, I found it compelling, though. Not the kind of movie I'd see on my own, and I know what someone else meant about the breathing.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Korean film, "The Host," that was in the previews.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing that Korean film, "The Host," that was in the previews.

Not to thread jack, but this was an excellent movie. I'm going to see Pan's Labyrinth. I haven't heard anything about the violence being intense. The posters for the movie look very cool.

• Me and the lady never go to the theatres...i mean, i think the last two movies i saw in the theatre were 'Million Dollar Baby,' and 'XMen 3'. We still watch a lot of flicks at home, but, NEVER go out.

So, last night we decide to go see Pan's Labyrinth. Holy Shit. It was good- but, that was waaaaaaaaaaay too intense for both of us to take in the theatre. The violence (wine bottle, capt. getting cut up, the torture) and the suspense were incredibly difficult. It was a VERY graphic movie.

I thought the look and feel of the movie was incredible, and the story was good- the execution was great, though. i would recommend. but, i think...well...i think next time, we might ease into it, and see something like 'Stranger than Fiction,' at the 2nd run spot, rather than this.

did make us want to see more films in theatres, though- new goal is 1/month. Gotta, literally, get back in shape to take in movies like this.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    TWO BIG THUMBS UP on this... caught this last night and really dug it.. any other fol's feeling this?

HEAT!

I saw that and Children of Men in the same week.
    man, mexican directors are
    this year.

AYO... Spanish ... Please

Del Toro is Mexican

So is Cuar??n (Childen of Men) and I????rritu (Babel)