MovieStrut Pan's Labyrinth

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
TWO BIG THUMBS UP on this... caught this last night and really dug it.. any other fol's feeling this?

Comments

• TWO BIG THUMBS UP on this... caught this last night and really dug it.. any other fol's feeling this?

HEAT!

I saw that and Children of Men in the same week.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, this is easily the best movie of the year for me, besides "the departed".

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

HEAT!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i went with the girlfriend on saturday and after 5 minutes she couldnt take the violence. she was in the fetal position in her seat real quick nearly in tears. we had to bounce but luckily we got in free so it worked out. we ended up going home and watching tron.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    You guys are always so late on movies. hahah... it reminded me of fando y liz and spirited away with some gritty ass reality scenes... Talk about a bad guy.

- spidey

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    TWO BIG THUMBS UP on this... caught this last night and really dug it.. any other fol's feeling this?

HEAT!

man, mexican directors are this year.

• Talk about a bad guy.

Am I the only one who sees M. Bison in that pic?

• TWO BIG THUMBS UP on this... caught this last night and really dug it.. any other fol's feeling this?

HEAT!

man, mexican directors are
    this year.

AYO... Spanish ... Please

• It's all about eyeball hand dude guarding the feast. He got graaaaaaaapes!

• It's all about eyeball hand dude guarding the feast. He got graaaaaaaapes!

That guy looked like a walking nut-sack.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I wasn't so blown away but it certainly is quality. The effects are extremely next level. This film reportedly had a budget of $19 million (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=panslabyrinth.htm). How is it that effects in American films pale in comparison despite having vastly superior budgets.

• I saw that and Children of Men in the same week.

me too.

both in my top ____ for the year, along with -the proposition- and -borat-.

though i think i actually liked -children of men- better, and -the proposition- the best, not sure if i can explain why.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

HEAT!

this year.

spanish?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

HEAT!
    wow! what a great movie. i know you guys talked about this shit like two weeks ago but DAMN! best movie i've seen in a while.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I liked the Devil's Backbone a lot better.

HEAT!

this year.

Del Toro is Mexican

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• i went with the girlfriend and after 5 minutes she couldnt take the violence. she was in the fetal position in her seat real quick nearly in tears.

her constant squirming, eye covering, and gasps distracted me from enjoying the movie fully. I thought there coulda been more special effects, but I understand with that kinda budget, s'all gravy. I really liked Blade 2, and Hellboy, both directed by him, so basically dude is the Dude.

I also saw Children of Men the week earlier, and that movie was Dope as well

• I liked the Devil's Backbone a lot better.

I just saw this - great flick! I'm looking forward to checking out Pan's Labyrinth

• slushslush 691 Posts
    You guys are always so late on movies.

how late can people possibly be?? its still in theatres! Not everyone is leisurely enough to catch every good movie the day it comes out. I wanted to see this for a minute, but goddamn I have demands on my time.

yeah it was good. I was not ready for that level of gore though. My girlfriend is the same, she huddles into a ball and closes her eyes upon anything remotely violent. She retreated for like 5 minutes after the headstab.

for me though, the most freaky part was the pictures of handeyeball dude on the wall... eating children, impaling them, etc. It was brief, but disturbing.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    yea but the part with the Wine bottle is pretty in the detail as far as violence goes.

I found this movie really well done (in regards to acting, cinematography, direction) but as an actual story it didn't do too much for me. based on the trailer I was expecting some more integration of the fantasy world and those characters , which did not happen. that being said, still a recommended movie.

• Yeah, it's really good-- not crazy good but really solid good. One of the year's best along with The Departed. And I guess I've become numb to movie violence, but only two things about it really struck me as especially violent.

• yea but the part with the Wine bottle is pretty in the detail as far as violence goes.

I found this movie really well done (in regards to acting, cinematography, direction) but as an actual story it didn't do too much for me. based on the trailer I was expecting some more integration of the fantasy world and those characters , which did not happen. that being said, still a recommended movie.

The story was surprisingly simplistic given all the praise it's received.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    was extremely disappointed by the ending and the resolution of the fantasy/real worlds
    still a great film but..

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Late pass.

Finally saw this over the weekend after looking forward to it for ages. Didn't rate it nearly as highly as Devil's Backbone but on it's own rights thought it was pretty decent.

As mentioned, the story is surprisingly simplistic but I thought the crossing over between worlds was handled well. Also the refusal to confirm/deny the reality of the otherworld was a wise choice. Can't remember a major director making a film with such a downbeat ending in a good while either.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    You guys are always so late on movies.

how late can people possibly be?? its still in theatres! Not everyone is leisurely enough to catch every good movie the day it comes out. I wanted to see this for a minute, but goddamn I have demands on my time.

I guess was it widely released in different citys at different times. I caught a screening in early december.

- spidey

• yea but the part with the Wine bottle is pretty in the detail as far as violence goes.

The story was surprisingly simplistic given all the praise it's received.

Complex storyline = good? I don't think that's a neccessity.

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and liked it A LOT. The winebottle/torture/gorey scenes were pretty terrible, but it's classified as a horror/fantasy flick. Some of that should be expected I think.

I thought it was impressive how they made the "walking nut-sack" as scary as he was considering he looked pretty funny. Like a permanent peek-a-boo look.

The scariest bit to me is that the bad guy represents a way of thinking and acting that was all to real at a certain time.

Really good film.

- J

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    plaese explain.

• I think that movie just wasnt my thing. i didn't know anything about the movie before i saw it and the story never grabbed me. The movie did have some cool visuals but I was waiting for it to end the whole time.