This Weekend's Finds Post

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Mainly just some kinda interesting dollar bin stuff that I took a chance on. The 45 is Free 'Wishing Well'. The rest is somewhat self explanatory i guess. Banana & The Bunch is a private polka lp with one funky version of 'Mercy Mercy Mercy' that is real great (and not polka). Rhythm Accompaniment is just an lp of drum tracks in different styles, side two is all latin breaks, side one is some jazzy/pop breaks. Kurt Van Arsdel is a private gospel/folk lp from 81 that has one killer fuzz/psych cut, the rest is pretty mellow. It came with a big handwritten note & autograph on the cover & then another signed handwritten letter inside, waxidermy raer??? it even says first pressing on the label ps. also got undercharged majorly by the girl at the counter who I think was hitting on me, classic.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    that Garden Variety was one my top mid-90s high school punk emo jams!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

ps. also got undercharged majorly by the girl at the counter who I think was hitting on me, classic.

Awesome

I closed a bank account last week and I was sure the girl behind the counter was kinda keen on me. Then I realised she gave me $120 instead of $100 and 20 cents!

• ooops..

• I got in the car this weekend and tested out my new GPS. I never got lost; I was able to get the Gino's Cheesesteak stain out of my jeans. I couldn't verify, however, if Baltimore lake trout was actually trout, or which lake it was from. I hung with DrewNice and Tony Tripledouble until 11 pm or so, and had to take a 30 minute power nap at a rest stop on the way to my motel. I took cold showers because the hot water was out, and drove at least two hours looking for at least three flea markets that did not exist.

The stash:

The rap records:

The raers:

The Spankmaster.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

The raers:

I was considering buying Bring My Buddies Back a couple of months ago, solely based on the theme of the album but I was too hesistant to part with a Franklin.

How's that record?

• you know, I remember liking it when I first heard it a few years back... I haven't listened to anything yet though as I just unpacked. My listening time in the motel was dedicated to the crazy unknown shit that's not pictured!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    nice

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

The raers:

I was considering buying Bring My Buddies Back a couple of months ago, solely based on the theme of the album but I was too hesistant to part with a Franklin.

How's that record?

you know, I remember liking it when I first heard it a few years back...

There is at least one very excellent track on there that I'd heard before on some mix. The rest I peeped when a local dealer was trying to sell me on it, but he wanted way too much.

My listening time in the motel was dedicated to the crazy unknown shit that's not pictured!

Ain't that the natural truth!

Good hanging, Jonny. I was telling Tone that the onion in that guacamole dip kept my breath on blast for a full 24 hours afterward.

I remember passing on that Young Ones jawn. It has a cover of Pet Sounds? Right? Kinda weird. But is the whole thing good?

• two of these. anyone need one? and some dollarbin commons

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    nice one on that angela
    good finds

• angela

yeah, this record is great.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I remember passing on that Young Ones jawn. It has a cover of Pet Sounds? Right? Kinda weird. But is the whole thing good?

http://www.soulstrut.com/features/ish/204/guzzo.php

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Hmm...out of curiosity: how much do you need for the Philip Cohran LP?

Amazing finds, congrats!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    a few cheap decent 45s:

a cheap better-than-decent 45:

a slightly less cheap 45:

and a few LPs...not much worth mentioning although this one had a couple face-melters:

• Hmm...out of curiosity: how much do you need for the Philip Cohran LP?

Amazing finds, congrats!

I hear it's free if you send him a PM.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    A couple more from fairwayfiend's seemingly infinite supply of heat...

• Hmm...out of curiosity: how much do you need for the Philip Cohran LP?

Amazing finds, congrats!

I hear it's free if you send him a PM.

haha hah, heh.

drew, you need to get your onion game up, hommie.
    johnny, holler and give me an update about you know you know. that second thing is still echoing in my head.

i barely went digging and somehow came up with:

among some other things.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i found this stuff this weekend:

^^ cycles is a strange high school band thing that may yield special feelings.
    still investigating. the emergency thing is a japanese audiophile 'jazz rock' 70s
    item, sounds ok so far.

^^ took forever for me to find if3. that stevie ray vaughn is his last (i think)
    and is super tough to find on lp ('91). current is vol1 #1 and has ed sanders
    talking about manson!

skunks is early 80s local TX new wave/rock(?), vipers is nice '84 garage-psych
    revival.

scored a gang of old reissues and other old timey + doo wop stuff.

^^ rough covers, decent interiors rap pt 1

^^ rough covers, decent interiors rap pt 2 (+ d'angelo mintyness)

never heard of this, it was nice.

^^ comedy relief pt 1 (great record tho)

^^ comedy relief pt 2 (wtf!!!) (horrid music tho, who would have guessed?)

raerz, etc.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Stuffs from the last week or so:

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

whats the green 12" on the lower right with the 'african music today' sleeve? I recall seeing it on a vanguard record too. is it used on a bunch of different things or is it specific to one record?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

whats the green 12" on the lower right with the 'african music today' sleeve? I recall seeing it on a vanguard record too. is it used on a bunch of different things or is it specific to one record?

It's a standard sleeve used for a bunch of African 12 inches. We have a few records with those at the station that I've been meaning to listen to. Is that one any good?

That one is a Victor Uwaifo 12" and it is great afro-funk, sounds alot like Fela to me.
    I've only seen that sleeve used for the Makossa/Makossa Editions label, The Lafayette Afro-Rock
    Band's-Voodoonoun EP/12" (SP) has the same sleeve.

Here are the sound clips I'm using for my auction for the Victor Uwaifo 12"

Victor Uwaifo-Arabade_006.mp3

Victor Uwaifo-5 Days A Week Love_005.mp3

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    That one is a Victor Uwaifo 12" and it is great afro-funk, sounds alot like Fela to me.
    I've only seen that sleeve used for the Makossa/Makossa Editions label, The Lafayette Afro-Rock

no offense intended, but i don't believe there is anything afro-funk like at all about that particular victor uwaifo release. sounds like fela?

uwaifo is great, perhaps one of the most popular nigerian musicians of all-time. that particular makossa 12" however is one of his worst. early to mid-80's bad high-life. uwaifo was one of the most prolific of nigerian artists as well. he must have a minimum of two or three dozen full lengths spanning from '68/'69 to '84. his late '60's and early 70's stuff is the most dynamic with some gorgeous guitar work.

he certainly did do a handful of afro-funk things- jungle beat 45 being one of them. however, this also is not his most interesting work by any means.

the african music sleeve is the stock sleeve for makossa's 12" catalogue. There were at least 25-30 releases that came out in that sleeve.

Cool, but why do you have a picture of early FC era Richard Thompson on your ish?

no offense intended, but i don't believe there is anything afro-funk like at all about that particular victor uwaifo release. sounds like fela?

uwaifo is great, perhaps one of the most popular nigerian musicians of all-time. that particular makossa 12" however is one of his worst. early to mid-80's bad high-life. uwaifo was one of the most prolific of nigerian artists as well. he must have a minimum of two or three dozen full lengths spanning from '68/'69 to '84. his late '60's and early 70's stuff is the most dynamic with some gorgeous guitar work.

he certainly did do a handful of afro-funk things- jungle beat 45 being one of them. however, this also is not his most interesting work by any means.

the african music sleeve is the stock sleeve for makossa's 12" catalogue. There were at least 25-30 releases that came out in that sleeve.

I stand by my comments, the B-side sounds like Fela to ME and I dig it!
    You act like I said something about your mom.
    I've said it a millions times, "There's no accounting for taste".

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I stand by my comments, the B-side sounds like Fela to ME and I dig it!
    You act like I said something about your mom.
    I've said it a millions times, "There's no accounting for taste".

cpeetz
    wasn't trying to cut down your taste.
    nor sound snooty.
    B-side is a remake of a "5 Days a Week". Earlier version is much better.

i've just seen a few too many - "Dope Afro Funk Jamz" subheadings on mediocre 80's highlife recordings. Anything remotely african becomes afrobeat. afrofunk. whatever.

here's some shots of some cool uwaifo records:

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    I had this made for $150.00.If any one needs a set pm me.

I had this made for $150.00.If any one needs a set pm me.

Why? I mean I can see that they are taller than normal, but I have 45 adaptors that are basicly
    the same as those and they set me back $20. Could these possibly perform that much better, than they
    warrant spending $150?