5 jams i rocked to death in 8th/9th grade

2»

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm confused. For a second there I thought I'd skipped 8th grade, but that was actually 6th. Alright, now that I've got my head on straight, this is what I remember of junior high:

Every saturday night was break dancing night/competitions at the Chucky Cheese in Pinole. Most of my friends from my neighborhood were in crews so I'd always go chec it out. My friend had the "Rapper's Delight" 12" and we memorized the words.

Not music, but a record nonetheless. Pryor was my favorite comedian and my friend had a lot of his records including this one. He memorized almost the entire thing and use to act it out.

Was making the transition from listening to regualr Rock to some of the heavier stuff. This was and still is my all-time fav of the genre

That eventually led to groups like

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    2 years is too much to remember, just 8th grade...

by 8th grade (1991) i had started hanging out with kids who hated rap, so all my NWA, PE, and Geto Boys tapes got put away... i discovered punk in 7th grade, but all the kids i hung out with hated and listened to classic rock... primus was the one altrock band from that period i liked (never understood the appeal of sonic youth)... aretha i got into thru the blues brothers...

1. nevermind the bollocks, here's the sex pistols- sex pistols
    2. we sold our soul for rock and roll- black sabbath
    3. suck on this- primus
    4. greatest hits- aretha franklin
    5. greatest hits- cream

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    (never understood the appeal of primus)

8th grade is 1983-84 so the first RUN DMC,
    Grandmaster Flash Greatest Messages,
    Kinks "Greatest Hits" Def Leppard Pyromania
    ummm... Thriller?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

i know, i don't really get it now, as i hate Zappa and almost all joke-rock, but some reason when i was 14 i loved em... i was a huge fan up until pork soda; i only liked a few tracks and never bought an album or payed 'em much attention after that...

• (never understood the appeal of primus)

i know, i don't really get it now, as i hate Zappa and almost all joke-rock, but some reason when i was 14 i loved em... i was a huge fan up until pork soda; i only liked a few tracks and never bought an album or payed 'em much attention after that...

7th/8th/9th was all about the hip hop.

late 9th/10th was all primus and jane's addiction. primus sucks indeed...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    my 8/9th grades also very similar listening....

helmet=meantime
    sonic youth= dirty

others would have included:
    ice cube - predator
    dr. dre - the chronic
    mary j. blige - whats the 411

also add the obligatory white boy (house of pain) rap.
    too bad being irish didn't catch on....

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Elise had Bitches Brew on heavy rotation in 8th grade?!
    Her shits advanced!

No way I would felt that record at age 13.

Sho nuff. I was a band geek, man. It came with the territory. Plus, I was considered one of the weird/specially smart kids....taking me back. I think that was when I had my first joint...it makes sense. Too bad I dont smoke anymore. I would pop my old Bitches Brew tape in and ride my bike again. Damn that was beautiful!!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Incredible

Anything on

Anything by

And a lot of ambient, for example

+

bonus beat

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

(I think I must have had about 15 Maiden T-Shirts, mailordered out of those metal mags)

Yea, but did you also have a 5th grade mullet?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    People need to stop frontin' like they was listening to Stockhausen (or even Bitches Brew) in the 8th grade.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    People need to stop frontin' like they was listening to Stockhausen in the 8th grade.

I made acquantainces with a local noise/avant garde art dude at music school, who is significantly older. When talking about electronic music, such as Autechre, he asked if I knew about Stockhausen, var??se, musique-concrete, etc... history of electronic/experimental music. I did not.

I then listened and became amazed. More listening ensued.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im sure there are quite a few folks on here that were listenin to music that their friends or people their age were checkin for
    i know i was into a lot of soul and jazz back then but that wouldnt get much play around my peoples

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    People need to stop frontin' like they was listening to Stockhausen (or even Bitches Brew) in the 8th grade.

Sounds like someone's hating

Damn.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I never got Primus either, but the guitarist from Possessed (Larry) plays with them now. What a change in style!

i hate Zappa and almost all joke-rock

If I had to pigeonhole Zappa (tough in and of itself), I would put him in the guitar virtuoso category--for what it's worth. But, joke rock? Please.

• In no particular order:

Rage Against The Machine
    Tool - Aenima
    311 - Transistor (good drummer at least)
    The Roots - Things Fall Apart
    Also started getting into jazz when my drum teacher recommended Kind of Blue to play along with and Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard for some action.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts

If I had to pigeonhole Zappa (tough in and of itself), I would put him in the guitar virtuoso category--for what it's worth. But, joke rock? Please.

how many artists are in this catagory? 5? Im stuck after satriani. cant name any more. the reaaaaaaaaaaally creepy kids at school listened to this stuff. trenchcoat kids. back then we called 'em "grits". they usually wore those rainbow lensed shades and a "rockers" WWF shirt.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

how many artists are in this catagory? 5? Im stuck after satriani. cant name any more. the reaaaaaaaaaaally creepy kids at school listened to this stuff. trenchcoat kids. back then we called 'em "grits". they usually wore those rainbow lensed shades and a "rockers" WWF shirt.

trenchcoat mafia mah dear.

naw whaddda saaayin!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

No, it's definitely joke rock. And you're not even in on the joke.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ahh shit, 8th grade was all about:

jodeci
    ralph tresvant
    johnny gill
    boyz II men
    too short

came full circle in 9th grade:

nirvana
    mudhoney
    sonic youth
    dinosaur jr
    my bloody valentine

No, it's definitely joke rock. And you're not even in on the joke.

Oh right, sorry. I get it now. It's because of the satirical content of the lyrics. Nice one.

If you look at rock and roll guitarists, there's Hendrix and everyone else. I'd say Zappa is the closest second.

I'm embarrassed for the lil dude who made the Satriani comment. You need some lessons. Keep posting and we'll develop a listening curriculum for you.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Frank Zappa is straight-up Dr. Demento material.

TRUTH.

Comedy rock for music knerds without a sense of humor.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Dr.Dre-"N@gga with a gun"
    BDP-"Good"
    GETO BOYS-"Minds Playing Tricks"
    2PAC-"When my Homies Call"
    Mc.Pooh/Pooh Man-"The Project"

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

8th grade was 1989 / 1990

• Wow,that's going way back,let's see-Candy[The Astors]-My Baby[Temptations]-It Won't Hurt[The O'Jays]-Dear Lover[Mary Wells]-Sugar Dumplin[Sam Cooke].