Detroit Rapper Sues Over Canadian Border Hassles

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
A female police officer who was called to the border at one attempted crossing listened to the CD and hated the musicDetroit rapper sues over alleged Canadian border hasslescbc.caThe owner of a hip-hop record label based in Detroit says he has launched a lawsuit against Canadian immigration officials over alleged racial profiling of black hip-hop stars.Jerome Almon names 95 border guards and two former federal ministers of immigration, Denis Coderre and Elinor Caplan, in the lawsuit filed in Michigan last week.Almon told CBC radio he has been detained and questioned at the border 117 of the last 120 times he crossed into Canada.He is claiming $900-million US in damages in the suit, saying his right to do business in Canada is being impeded by harassment at the border."My complaint is rather simple. I'm alleging that Canada Customs and Immigration are barring me from entering Canada to conduct business because I'm a black rapper from Detroit," he said.Almon owns Murdercap Records, a moniker that reflects Detroit's status as murder capital of the U.S.He represents Canadian artists and claims to have recorded recent albums in Toronto and Ottawa.But when Almon tries to cross the border, he is held up for 45 minutes to three hours, he said."Their claim is that I have not turned in a police clearance to enter Canada as required by Canada Immigration and that I have a criminal record," he said.Almon said he has never been convicted of a criminal offence, but he has been arrested twice and those arrests have stayed on his file.Appeals to earlier immigration ministers and to the Ontario Human Rights commission have failed to correct the problem, he said.Although Almon's lawsuit was launched in Michigan, he cites the Canadian Charter of Rights, which would not apply there. He also says international law protects his right to conduct business.Almon's songs include On Ya Neez Bitch and How Stella Got My Backhand.A female police officer who was called to the border at one attempted crossing listened to the CD and hated the music, he said.He claims to have the support of Canadian hip-hop artists for his campaign.Almon has been making public complaints about racial profiling at the border since 2003.There has been no official response from Canada.

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    A female police officer who was called to the border at one attempted crossing listened to the CD and hated the music, he said.

Maybe she's one of those early 90's headz or into conscious rap?

• This guy is hilarious. $900 million?

Send him to Rocawear.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Good move. I doubt this'll go anywhere but I absolutely support it.

• From an article about this I dug up from over two years ago:

"Almon has been asked to submit a witness list for the upcoming tribunal where he has alleged and has absolute proof that Canadian Customs and Immigration has been racially profiling black Americans in a wholesale-directed fashion, specifically black rappers and entertainers."

"Names on the witness list will include Gangster Rappers DMX, Jay Z, 50 Cent and The Blakkattakk, Secretary of State Colin Powell, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Canadian Defense Minister Bill Graham, Mininister for Immigration Elinor Caplan and Dennis Coderre, Toronto Star reporter Vernon Clement Jones, MP's Libbie Davies and Carolyn Parrish, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Wilson Pickett."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    From an article about this I dug up from over two years ago:

"Almon has been asked to submit a witness list for the upcoming tribunal where he has alleged and has absolute proof that Canadian Customs and Immigration has been racially profiling black Americans in a wholesale-directed fashion, specifically black rappers and entertainers."

"Names on the witness list will include Gangster Rappers DMX, Jay Z, 50 Cent and The Blakkattakk, Secretary of State Colin Powell, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Canadian Defense Minister Bill Graham, Mininister for Immigration Elinor Caplan and Dennis Coderre, Toronto Star reporter Vernon Clement Jones, MP's Libbie Davies and Carolyn Parrish, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Wilson Pickett."

strictly b-list witnessess

I'm hoping Corey Feldman is brought in to help the defense

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    From an article about this I dug up from over two years ago:

strictly b-list witnessess

I'm hoping K In Canada[/b] is brought in to help the defense

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts

Almon's songs include On Ya Neez Bitch and How Stella Got My Backhand.

Instant classics.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Not to say that border guards aren't capable of racial profiling, but my rate of being detained and questioned when crossing into Canada is 100%. But then again, that's only a half dozen times or so.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I've been stopped at the border many time with records. Most of the time it was when I was importing records for the stores that I worked for. Even with a broker and all our paperwork filed, it was a bitch. Sometimes sitting there for 4 hours waiting to be cleared. I've even had them confiscate shit cause of questionable title names. Never to get that product back. EVER. Also, just trying to do it with records I bought on personal trips have been a bitch.

It always comes down to money. They don't want you crossing the border without them getting their cut. Be it from duties or taxes. Or getting paid from you working here.