Taking a trip...(Boston and NY related)

Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
hey everyone...my gf and I are taking a trip...February 10th-20th...that being:10th-14th in Boston14th-16th in NYand a day or so in Vermont (not sure where)I'm definitely excited to see boston (since i've only been there for about 5 hours before)...and we'll be staying with a friend (I'll find out what neighborhood)...but, don't know a whole lot about where to dig (any good spots for 45s?)...get the bomb food (remember...i'm vegan...so, ), and maybe where some good clubs are to go check out......I am interested in possibly deejaying while I'm out there, and would love any help with getting a gig or two (if any of the soulstrut family is out there doing stuff and want to have me for a guest set...or can hook up a gig for me for when I'll be out there..this would only be true of the night of the 16th in NY)....I know that we'll be doing something for sure on the 14th (which is Valentine's day)...I know we have plans part of the time in both Boston and NY.....I am familiar with the layout of NY since I've lived in Brooklyn before (and worked in Manhattan)...but, am curious if there are any hotspots as far as great spots to dig (although, I might not get the chance), or go out to drink, or hot clubs....and we have a couple of cool vegan spots we've peeped out...but, if you have any other suggestions....any help...would be appreciated...feel free to post suggestions...or pm me

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Stop in Albany and break Naan bread with
    ----------- that guyyyyy

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    hey man....I am playing The Enormous Room on Feb. 10th. (sat night).....I don't really know what I'll do yet tho. Typically its a pretty crowded lounge on fri/sat, i'll probably do the Ser.at.o/microwave thing....but i might bring some funk45s too.

I also do my radio show on sundays from noon-2pm, you are welcome to come out and guest dj it. I play funk/soul typically, but sometimes I broaden that to include disco, african funk/soul, some psych/rock, etcetc. Raj guested it back in the day, and I had Ayres do it...Cosmo let me play his live set from boston just recently.

For a couple shops, they aren't really secret or anything so:

In Your Ear - Commonwealth Ave - My favorite boston store

Cheapo Records - Mass Ave - its in Skippy Whites old store space now.

If I were you, I'd check out Wallys Cafe on Mass ave MONDAY night. They do a "blues jam", but they play alot of funk & soul covers. You never know who will show up....

hope that helps a bit & PM me if you are into the radio show thang.

-peeJ
    www.galacticfractures.com

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Dude Valentine's Day night is Binky Griptite & the Melomatics at the Lucky Cat which has a 100% vegetarian menu. Perfect for that special veggie someone

• Cosine InYourEar and Cheap0. There are two locs of IYE; check the one on Comm Ave. in Alston.

For Vegan eats, try Grasshopper just down the street from IYE. In cambridge, veggie planet in harvard square will meet your needs. If you're downtown, the Other Side Cafe ain't bad, and is veggie friendly; buddha's delight in Chinatown is my buddy's favorite.

Enjoy...any questions, feel free to drop a line.

• hey man....I am playing The Enormous Room on Feb. 10th. (sat night).....I don't really know what I'll do yet tho. Typically its a pretty crowded lounge on fri/sat, i'll probably do the Ser.at.o/microwave thing....but i might bring some funk45s too.

I also do my radio show on sundays from noon-2pm, you are welcome to come out and guest dj it. I play funk/soul typically, but sometimes I broaden that to include disco, african funk/soul, some psych/rock, etcetc. Raj guested it back in the day, and I had Ayres do it...Cosmo let me play his live set from boston just recently.

For a couple shops, they aren't really secret or anything so:

In Your Ear - Commonwealth Ave - My favorite boston store

Cheapo Records - Mass Ave - its in Skippy Whites old store space now.

If I were you, I'd check out Wallys Cafe on Mass ave MONDAY night. They do a "blues jam", but they play alot of funk & soul covers. You never know who will show up....

hope that helps a bit & PM me if you are into the radio show thang.

-peeJ
    www.galacticfractures.com

sickness...thanks for the info...and I wil be pm'ing you later today...I'm definitely interested in the radio show...since I have to promote my album (shameless... Deejay OM's "Reheated Naan & Curry" on Galapagos4[/b])...which fellow soulstrutter...dcastillo did the album cover for...and is pretty much a facemelter for me (and those who have seen it as well)...so, maybe I can do something with parts of my album on there....

the lady gave me the bad news...."no...we're leaving on the 10th...at night...arriving in the morning"
    so, no way I can come to that thing on the 10th...but, good lookin (hope it goes well...sounds like fun).

definitely stoked on the boston recommendations of vegan/veggie food...since we haven't really checked up on that much...(and is that valentine's thing in ny? how's the food? I know my girl has some place picked out...shit...the name is escaping me...might be like blossom...or something...haha...

thanks for the info so far...anyone else feel free to pm, or post

• i could have you guest with me in nyc on the 16th...what kind of music do you spin? pm me.

• i could have you guest with me in nyc on the 16th...what kind of music do you spin? pm me.

pm sent....strictly polka, death metal, and harmonium...don't try this at home..

• Bukowski's is a great bar in downtown Boston.

• Bukowski's is a great bar in downtown Boston.

...and just about as dank as the namesake implies.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Grasshopper, veggie planet, the Other Side Cafe, buddha's delight. Enjoy...any questions, feel free to drop a line.
    kitchen knight is spot on with the info. grasshopper is good and buddha's is tight as well. across the street from the other side cafe is another record store that cats haven't mentioned. looney tunes in boston. its a nice store where you can often come up with something nice. i live in ny now but know boston like my phone number. if you hit up cheapo mind the crazy ol' guy and don't say too much. he can be a lil' nutty but over all he is a nice guy...(if you know him.) hit up soul on ice and maybe he'll take you to some spots like ( sal*m record exch*ng* ) in his ice cream truck. . have fun!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    hit up soul on ice and maybe he'll take you to some spots like ( sal*m record exch*ng* ) in his ice cream truck.

pics please

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    hit up soul on ice and maybe he'll take you to some spots like ( sal*m record exch*ng* ) in his ice cream truck.

pics please
    i've already said too much...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I cannot stress how necessarythis book is if you want to eat meat-free in New York.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    and a day or so in Vermont (not sure where)

Roll through Burlington, hit up the Peace & Justice center (amazing people, some close family friends there). Vermont has shit for records in my experience though, when I was there they could barely keep the shelves full of turds. You will find vegan food though, that's for sure. It's gonna be butt-ass-cold in Vermont. Prettiest time to go is during the summer when everything is bright green.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I cannot stress how necessarythis book is if you want to eat meat-free in New York.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being risk of death by starvation, how necessary is it?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    If you're vegetarian, or vegan, and are not satisfied with the "Come on, let's go to Wendy's you can just get a salad asshole!" Then this ranks around a 1 (I'm assuming that 1 is the best ranking iny our system). It doesn't have every meat-free restaurant, but it has so many that its overwhelming, and the ranking system has been spot on for everything I've tried so far.