DJ Drama and Don Cannon arrested!

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/...mp;pageId=1.1.1 Bullshit RIAA bust- watch the video- unbelievable!

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shit dont make no sense at all

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    And other "contraband".

Shit.

How are they going to destroy cd's? That shit is gonna stink!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    shit dont make no sense at all

hey Brian- congrats on 5000!!!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

fuck this is real bad news. i hope it's an isolated thing like Kim's a few years back.

And other "contraband".

Shit.

How are they going to destroy cd's? That shit is gonna stink!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    cops pulled this stunt in Toronto in the late 90's. Raided Play De Record (t.o.'s beat street), seized all mixtapes and booked the employees. Eventually charges were dropped but it was still a huge hassle for all involved.

Universal Canada at that time had signed Baby Blue Soundcrew (local dj crew) to a mixtape/album deal. Rumour has it the other major labels (Warner, Sony, take your pick) ratted to the cops to kill any street noise them dudes were making.

Either way, tres lame.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    drama is directly responsible for some huge number of rap records sold BY riaa-repped companies.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    This is weak...but the first anti-piracy spokesperson kinda looks like DJ Ferrari, so that was comforting to me and made me less angry.

Seriously though, were they selling mix CDs or "blackmarket, the label is kinda off center, off color and the CD has handwriting" remakes?

Howitzer Hollaback.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    drama is directly responsible for some huge number of rap records sold BY riaa-repped companies.

RIAA-repped companys pay Drama tens of thousands of dollars for this service.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    These are mix tapes, not counterfeit CD's right?
    I thought the record companies knew the importance of mix tapes.
    That shit is stoops!

• yeah, it doesn't make sense.

that news story was pretty

The average person who saw that would think they were selling actual bootlegs, like knock offs of actual albums. Are labels mad that people are freestyling over instrumentals?

Thats pretty sad that they took their cars and equipment. I'm sure those cops feel like they did something good too. Fighting "crime." The funny thing is that they probably feel like stopping these counterfeit cds will give money back to the people who should be getting it, but in actuality all those artists who willingly participated in those mix cds are losing promotion.

• 1). That's fucked-up. Hop fully it wasn't some salty-ass rival deejay dudes.

2). There come back cd is going to be off the chain

3). tens of thousands? F'reals?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Good lord that is totally fucked. Are yall watching the same news footage i am? Unreal.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Where is that Leo Sayer graemlin?

• Unreal.

You said it.

Goddamn! The music industry really is a wrap.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    how much of them were boots vs just mixtapes?

drama and cannon are gonna get better sales/free press from this episode
    lets hope they don't wind up in the clink over it

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I wish that salty DJ Drama XXL blog was back right about now.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

Bullshit RIAA bust- watch the video- unbelievable!

This is absolute bullshit. The way the report is spun to place the emphasis on alleged "counterfeiting" (which the RIAA is weak on) and organised crime is

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    "No drugs and weapons were found. But they easily could have had both drugs and weapons. I mean, we just want to make this clear."

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yeah, it doesn't make sense.

that news story was pretty

The average person who saw that would think they were selling actual bootlegs, like knock offs of actual albums. Are labels mad that people are freestyling over instrumentals?

Thats pretty sad that they took their cars and equipment. I'm sure those cops feel like they did something good too. Fighting "crime." The funny thing is that they probably feel like stopping these counterfeit cds will give money back to the people who should be getting it, but in actuality all those artists who willingly participated in those mix cds are losing promotion.
    very true. too bad.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Friend of mine got a houseraid because of 100 Mix CD's...peep that. Kind of tells you that the situation in Germany here is even worse when it comes to losses from record labels...all very sad indeed...

Friend of mine got a houseraid because of 100 Mix CD's...peep that. Kind of tells you that the situation in Germany here is even worse when it comes to losses from record labels...all very sad indeed...

My favourite mixtape spot in the West End of London has recently stopped carrying mixtapes completely. According to the owner, the threat of BPI raids (one of which resulted in the closure of a neighbouring store) is simply more trouble than it's worth.

• This is the worst sort of bullshit and frankly it's the reason why there aren't gonna be record labels in ten years. This whole "sue your customers arrest the dj's" attitude is an assbackwards way of dealing with the fact that mixtapes and the internet have given consumers an alternative to paying 16 dollars or whatever for some shitty album with three good songs on it. On a personal level I am kinda bugging out and wondering when exactly this happened, because I faxed an invoice over to that studio yesterday and I kid you not some fucking cop is probably looking at my W9 right now and trying to decide if I'm a "person of interest" or whatever. I guarantee there wasn't a single "bootleg" in the traditional sense of the word in that entire place and that every single artist cd he put out was sanctioned by the heads of the marketing departments at whatever label the artist involved is on. The RIAA should be ashamed.

• what happens if this gets to court? did the record companies waive their rights (if that is even possible) by sending him promos, allowing their artists to guest on his tapes, and paying him money (if that's true)?

even if he could get around those issues, he still is f'd because of the instrumentals he uses (i would think), plus, aside from copyright laws, they are probably on his ass for taxes and whatever fees the labels have to pay the RIAA (or do they?).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The music industry really is a wrap.

On a personal level I am kinda bugging out and wondering when exactly this happened, because I faxed an invoice over to that studio yesterday and I kid you not some fucking cop is probably looking at my W9 right now and trying to decide if I'm a "person of interest" or whatever.

The raid went down yesterday afternoon, I think.

I completely agree with you about the RIAA. Same applies to the BPI over here - they avoid coming down hard on actual counterfeit operations, in my opinion purely because of their links with large-scale organised crime. Instead, they go after cottage-industry mixtape outfits or, on one ridiculous occasion, a church which manufactured cassette copies of its own choir performing hymns that weren't yet in the public domain "without obtaining the proper license". Crazy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    cops pulled this stunt in Toronto in the late 90's. Raided Play De Record (t.o.'s beat street), seized all mixtapes and booked the employees. Eventually charges were dropped but it was still a huge hassle for all involved.

Universal Canada at that time had signed Baby Blue Soundcrew (local dj crew) to a mixtape/album deal. Rumour has it the other major labels (Warner, Sony, take your pick) ratted to the cops to kill any street noise them dudes were making.

Either way, tres lame.

Side note:

It happened to Traxx on the same day I believe. I wasn't there, but I know Serious was. Charges were later dropped, but it was still pretty crazy. The RCMP came in and locked the place down.....................

As for Baby Blue. Why do you think they were signed to Uni? First they got hit with a lawsuit... I'm not gonna go into anything. But I know Sony didn't rat anyone out.

The thing I never understood is, how you gonna make blue do RETAIL mixtapes full of Universal shit and thinking it was gonna sell? People wanted blue tapes cause they took all the hot shit. Not 2 hot Universal joints mixed with alot of

Also bullshit, is in the 90's. Most DJ's had to do mix tapes to get servicing. I heard tons of major label reps on the phone with DJ's asking for servicing. The first thing I always heard was.

1. Are you on the radio
    2. Do you do mix tapes? What kind of numbers do you push.

Its all a bullshit game.

Either way, tres lame.

Side note:

It happened to Traxx on the same day I believe. I wasn't there, but I know Serious was. Charges were later dropped, but it was still pretty crazy. The RCMP came in and locked the place down.....................

As for Baby Blue. Why do you think they were signed to Uni? First they got hit with a lawsuit... I'm not gonna go into anything. But I know Sony didn't rat anyone out.

The thing I never understood is, how you gonna make blue do mixtapes full of Universal shit and thinking it was gonna sell? People wanted blue tapes cause they took all the hot shit. Not 2 hot Universal joints mixed with alot of

On the topic of legitimate, fully-licensed mixtapes, a journalist friend of mine recently asked me to name what I thought the essential ones were. I have to admit, I struggled for an answer - Jazzy Jeff's Hip Hop Forever II sprang to mind, as did Spinbad's contribution to the long-running Fabric Live series, associated with the London club of the same name. After that...well, not much that isn't of the non-licensed variety - Flash's mix CD for Strut Records definitely, but not a lot else. Can I canvas the Strut on their faves? Or is it street tapes all the way for most of youse?

• On the topic of legitimate, fully-licensed mixtapes, a journalist friend of mine recently asked me to name what I thought the essential ones were. I have to admit, I struggled for an answer - Jazzy Jeff's Hip Hop Forever II sprang to mind, as did Spinbad's contribution to the long-running Fabric Live series, associated with the London club of the same name. After that...well, not much that isn't of the non-licensed variety - Flash's mix CD for Strut Records definitely, but not a lot else. Can I canvas the Strut on their faves? Or is it street tapes all the way for most of youse?

the funkmaster flex 60 minute cds were pretty good, at least the first two were. Dj Skribble actually did a dope 90s hip hop cd that was a legitimate release. Dj Nabz Back in the Lab was ok. i think the dj from portishead had one and i thought flash had a couple.

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    The music industry really is a wrap.

Exactly! This is beyond fucked up. I remember very well when this happened in Toronto. I used to work at Play De, and had recently started a new job, and thinking to myself how unbelievably ridiculous this all was (and how I was also glad that I wasn't around for it...yes charges were dropped, but I wouldn't want to go through that headache) and how major labels were shooting themselves in the foot (just another reason why Canadian rap, rnb and reggae will never grow to its full potential here). Now, for Drama to get booked for something like this, it's even more ridiculous. Where are the labels to defend him? They need to reimburse him for all the loses (cd's, equipment, cars!).

I won't even get to how the newscast/RIAA/police (why the fuck would they need SWAT to bust some dj's?!?!) reeked of racism. A friend emailed me the story first this morning, and it just made my stomach turn. Disgusting.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "No drugs and weapons were found. But they easily could have had both drugs and weapons. I mean, we just want to make this clear."

I found that statement pretty offensive too. Like, these people usually have drugs and/or guns.