record shelving...do you anchor yours to the wall?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I have to ivars (the big ones) full to the max. You think I should go ahead and anchor them to the wall? seems pretty stable for now anyways. do you all do that with your expedients.(or however you spell it?)

Comments

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    It's funny, i'm having somebody do this for me today. My Expedit started to lean to the right significantly (it's not even all the way filled...I have the full top row of shelves empty) I was pretty pissed and had a family friend put L brackets to prevent left and right sway, and while he was at it, 3 straps to anchor it to the wall to prevent a foward fall. I do live in California, home of the quakes. Peace of mind makes me happy

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Definately anchor the IVARS.
    Also it is important to put an additional piece of 1/4 inch plywood on the ground under the entire shelf so that the weight is distributed better than just having it all on those legs. Dig it?

• i have 5 of the ivars, none of them are connected to the wall, nor do they need to be. i do however use 2 of the metal "X" braces instead of just 1 and they are solid as hell. but living in texas i dont have to consider possible earthquakes.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    I custom built my own shelves and they are pretty sturdy. In the future, I might hook it up to the wall as a precaution.

• if you're not down with putting holes in your walls, furniture levelers also work incredibly well for what are basically plastic wedges. The guy who built my shelves co-signed them and I've been using them for the last ten years.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Are the Ivars safe for large amounts of vinyl? I always thought they were made of wood pulp, which tends to buckle under heavier weights.

anybody had any issue with this?

and has anyone bought the expedit with an area for a television in the center? I'm thinking of getting one but I want to know if putting a heavy ass TV and a 1000+ lps on the same shelf would be safe.

• ivars are solid wood, 200 per shelf, i have 5 and 6 feet tall
    expedits are particle wood right? i've never seen one in real life

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Anchors are for sailor's biceps and network news shows.

• It's funny, i'm having somebody do this for me today. My Expedit started to lean to the right significantly (it's not even all the way filled...I have the full top row of shelves empty)

I found with mine that once it was completely filled, the sway was all but gone. I guess since there is no room to move within the individual cubes, its like the records are actually bracing the shelves horizontally.

• joeblowjoeblow 118 Posts
    i just copped that new 5x5 Expedit with the TV shelf in it, and hells yeah i anchored it to the wall. no fancy flat TV or anything yet, but i'm working on it...

JBLOW

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I was about to say that some of my record shelves are fixed to the wall & then I checked and the weight of the shelves has pulled big tears in the wall, shit.