using lighter fluid to clean records?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Ive read a long time ago about using lighter fluid to clean records. Ive done it a bunch of times, it works great, but are the solvents in the fluid harmful to the records? I used to use that yellow bottle (ronson maybe?) to clean up all these 45s i got in a filthy basement. I just dont want to use it anymore if it will damage the wax over time.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i've seen tsl/big city records uses this on heavy dirt and to get stickers off

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    It's quite using it neat, make sure you rinse it well with water after or it'll eat your record, if you live in a hard water area use distilled water to prevent build up & residue in the grooves.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    It's quite using it neat, make sure you rinse it well with water after or it'll eat your record, if you live in a hard water area use distilled water to prevent build up & residue in the grooves.

Yeah, give it a wipe with a clean, damp cloth afterwards. Lighter fluid pretty much evaporates entirely and is probably harmless but I wouldn't leave it on there. Works well, though...

• not a good idea. I may use it on adhesives stuck to the record but it doesn't totally evaporate, it leaves a film... as is always said on here it's very simple, mostly distilled water, some high grade alcohol, and a dash of soap or windex, photoflow if that's your thing. 8 parts to 1 part, easy.

• It's quite using it neat, make sure you rinse it well with water after or it'll eat your record

Why do you think this?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    not a good idea. I may use it on adhesives stuck to the record but it doesn't totally evaporate, it leaves a film... as is always said on here it's very simple, mostly distilled water, some high grade alcohol, and a dash of soap or windex, photoflow if that's your thing. 8 parts to 1 part, easy.

What he said, then vaccum it off.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Lighter fluid is for sticky stuff. If there is bubble gum on the record, break out the lighter fluid.

• It's always funny to see people's record cleaning formulas. I try all of em but tend to return to water/alcohol/soap - play record through - wipe off gunk - re-clean - re-play - wipe off gunk - let dry for a few minutes and then file away. I'll repeat the process on future spins to see if I can improve on the initial cleaning. It sometimes does.

The strangest thing I've done to newly dug up 45's is spraying lysol on a paper towel and wiping it clean. Dante assured me it wouldn't harm the rekkids. It did work pretty good, though I followed it up with a good water rinse.

• TruthTruth 50 Posts
    Dido with using it on sticky shit. Other than that forget it. I wouldn't even use it for B-Ques.