Options

Aquariums (NRR)

edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I am getting into fish tanks. Now I have the opportunity to get a 120 gal tank from a friend but I think this size might be too much.Any of you guys know anything about fish communities in large tanks?Should I go for some breeding? Any great fish species to mess with?What about aquatic plants too?

Comments

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I've had an aquarium for about 10 years now.
    Went from freshwater pufferfish to a Malawi cichlid setup, with coral.
    Both are tropical freshwater, which is a LOT less of a headache than a saltwater tank - and a lot cheaper.

Work out how much daily maintenance you're willing to do: that should determine what set-up is best for you.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Get the big tank but only half fill it and then get lots of little fish. Then if you press your nose up against the glass it looks like a whole nother world in there. I have fish, but they are just shubunkin things that spend the winter inside and then go in the pond in spring. Still didn't stop someone from stealing a pair coz they look vaguely like Koi. Almost zero maintenance though! They try to breed and sometimes are successful.

• Options
    yeah i have heard good things about the cichlids...i hear that sometime the dominant male gets ran off by the dominant female when he gets old. the fem finds another male and as soon as the other fishes start hanging out he dies...belly up. then the two take over his castle. there are also those sucker fish. they wake up first thing in the morning and notice all the garbage and go right to work.

what color rocks...i am gonna put a broken bong in there, what about plants...I want it to be be far out and spacy hehehe

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• Options
    haha...that dude looks crazy