Who's feeling Ellen Mcilwaine?

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I've heard 2 tracks of hers so far.. Higher Ground and Toe Hold (Live At The Bitter End, New York) and both are top notch..What else should I be czeching ?Paece.Lee.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    There's a good comp, "Up From The Skies - The Polydor Years", which is pretty much a reissue of her first two albums, and is worth copping. You can actually get sealed o.g. vinyl copies from her website. If you don't mind ponying up $60, that is. Her version of "Born Under A Bad Sign" is

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yeah, great compilation and strongly recommended. It's all worth checking out, in my book, but We The People is maybe my favourite LP.

• fuckin a right ellen mcillwaine...she used to have a band with hendrix that morphed into a wicked psych band called something i forget but it also has a very different version of born under a bad sign. if anyone has a copy for trade or sale, hit me upm on the PM.

for ind. tracks i suggest:

1. jimmy jean
    2. wade in the water
    3. ode to billie joe
    4. higher ground
    5. weird of hermiston
    6 up from the skies

• HamHam 872 Posts
    the fear itself LP is

• damn, no one mentioned "wings of a horse"? that LP is real good too.

what band was ellen in with Jimi?

i

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    the fear itself LP is

by far the best mcilwaine related thing i've heard.
    cool record.

• she good! peace, stein. . .

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've wanted to feel Ellen McIlwaine many times, but was afraid of the slap.

AS every one has noted the 2 Polydor lps. Plus The Real which is Canadian only.

Don't be frighten by the prices on her web site. Those are Canadian dollars. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, but it would be nice to get them from her for a fair Canadian price.

I like Fear Itself ok, but I recall it lacking the kind of vision her Polydor and Kot'ai records have. More of a typical late 60s rock thing.

Beware her Blind Pig and Stony Pony records, one sucks and the other is ehhh.