School me on the Guinness label

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
So I got the Newban LP a while back and after a while I have really gotten into that sound. I know there are a few other really good records on this label, as well as a whole lot of bad stuff, it seems. So please, someone separate the sheep from the goats for me... or just tell me what's really good on Guinness.If you need to be clever and post a picture of a glass of beer, feel free to get that out of the way early on.

Comments

• There are still a lot of them I need to hear, but I get the gist that they're, like all tax scam labels, are all over the place. You can see my discography here:

http://forbiddeneye.com/labels/archives.html

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Awesome. Any particular titles you recomend in the same vein as Newban?

• The James Conwell on Guiness is a $150 LP but it is still a bargain considering there are about a $1000ish worth of raer Northern Soul 45s on it...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The people seem to be feeling Carlos Franzetti-Graffiti. I dunno how it sounds though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The people seem to be feeling Carlos Franzetti-Graffiti. I dunno how it sounds though.

The folks who like this all live in Europe or Japan BTW

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Wish I could remember how it sounds, but I was not feeling it. I think it was an attempt to do some jazz fusion over a disco beat that didn't work. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different record. I'm thinking of the one with Farrah Fawcett on the cover.

But it does sell for good $$$.

• The people seem to be feeling Carlos Franzetti-Graffiti. I dunno how it sounds though.

The folks who like this all live in Europe or Japan BTW

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    that's racist! reality

I think it was an attempt to do some jazz fusion over a disco beat that didn't work. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different record. I'm thinking of the one with Farrah Fawcett on the cover.

But it does sell for good $$$.

All true

And I'll even cop to liking some disco jazz, too

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    the bloodsuckers album, from what i remember, is crap.
    its got like a vampire with bloody fangs on the cover...i think.
    the jasmine record is supposed to be pretty dope from what i've been told.
    the thunderhead lp has a big rock drumbreak

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just copped a copy of Ben E King's "Rebirth" album on guinness. not realyl feelig it though so its going on ebay soon

• So I got the Newban LP a while back and after a while I have really gotten into that sound. I know there are a few other really good records on this label, as well as a whole lot of bad stuff, it seems. So please, someone separate the sheep from the goats for me... or just tell me what's really good on Guinness.

If you need to be clever and post a picture of a glass of beer, feel free to get that out of the way early on.

nashville depot. gritty ass disco.

seems nobody has any real info, other than what we all already know...yeah tax write off.
    the templets as far as the artwork look very very similar to early prelude lps.
    who are the damn session players on the good lps ?

• is mad cliff any good?

i always loved the james conwell an mad cliff cover art but never found copies cheap enough to cop. i dont think i ever found anything cheap on guiness

• madcliff is the players association, i think.Like some players in newban went on to be in atlantic star.
    i know there is a cut on there that is the same on one of the lps. this is an article i would like to see in waxpoetics.
    whats good t*ny ?!

• madcliff is the players association, i think.Like some players in newban went on to be in atlantic star.
    i know there is a cut on there that is the same on one of the lps. this is an article i would like to see in waxpoetics.
    whats good t*ny ?!

whatup kon? working hard over here.
    dang, i didnt even know about the guiness to atlantic starr/players assoc. connect. kinda funny, the path from very raer to dollar bin common. this seems like a waxpoetics no brainer...someone call them before they run an al dimeola article or some dumb shit instead. i'd like to see more of that cover artists art.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Fuck, it looks to me like we're all in need of some Guinness label schooling then! Yeah, so... how do we get wax Po to do the article!

• Ok, my memory is a bit blurry on this but.....I think that I heard someone say that the Guinness label was run by some mafia guys? or am I confusing it with another label?

• Ok, my memory is a bit blurry on this but.....I think that I heard someone say that the Guinness label was run by some mafia guys? or am I confusing it with ALL labels?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    madcliff is the players association, i think.Like some players in newban went on to be in atlantic star.
    whats good t*ny ?!

whatup kon? working hard over here.
    dang, i didnt even know about the guiness to atlantic starr/players assoc. connect. kinda funny, the path from very raer to dollar bin common. this seems like a waxpoetics no brainer...someone call them before they run an al dimeola article or some dumb shit instead. i'd like to see more of that cover artists art.

"Newban Music" is the publisher credited on the original songs from Atlantic Starr's "Radiant" album (and perhaps the other, earlier AStarr albums as well).

SG

• Ok, my memory is a bit blurry on this but.....I think that I heard someone say that the Guinness label was run by some mafia guys? or am I confusing it with another label?

You're probably thinking of Tiger Lily.

http://forbiddeneye.com/labels/tigerlily.html

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Anybody know how "Bloodsuckers" is?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    madcliff is the players association
    i jacked this soundclip from the bay for the strutters!
    http://www.jazzaggression.com/au/sounds/madcliff.mp3

Fuck, it looks to me like we're all in need of some Guinness label schooling then! Yeah, so... how do we get wax Po to do the article!

NO information has ever been revealed on the label... unless someone interviews band members I doubt anything will ever come up

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Maybe I'm thinking of another Guinness but isn't the Jasmine S/T on that label?

• madcliff is the players association
    i jacked this soundclip from the bay for the strutters!

By the strutters for the strutters

• I'm fascinated by tax scam labels and their random repertoires. I'm trying to track the discogs of all the known ones. Any that I'm missing?

Album World
    Crazy Cajun
    Dellwood
    Guinness (and maybe Prelude)
    Illusion
    TSG
    Tiger Lily
    Tomorrow
    Western Hemisphere

• There were a bunch of Guiness records showing up around town a couple of years ago. The same guy always had a bunch of stuff on the Dellwood label too. I nabbed the Vibrations and Yvonne Hodges for myself, both of which were pretty decent soul LPs.

Guiness is a hard label to catch. As sketchy and shady as their catalog. Yes, it was a tax scam label. They often issued things that they didn't have the rights to or pressing up demos sent to them without even notifying the groups. I'm sure they were the same people behind Dellwood, not quite sure about how they became Prelude. Details anyone?

Also heard ESP was a tax dodge label too, but could be wrong.

SONIC

• this is getting more and more intriguing.
    wasnt CAT a tax scam label? TK disco had that real shady dude running it who supposedly burnt down the warehouse, thus making Melody of Life a very hard to catch Gwen McRae record.

can Soulstrut as an entity be given a seat on the Wax Poetics board of directors?