Portable Strut......What do you have?

OldschoolspinnaOldschoolspinna 311 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I just did a but it now on a Fisher Price #820 with and extra needle for about 70 USD. Ive had an #825 and it was nice, but hard to find an ac plug in some record stores.This will fix all that AC/Batt with a diamond needle....Niiiiiice. So what are you digging with, show us your baby.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I thought you meant what are people using
    to post on Soul Strut from their cellphones
    and PDA's.

I don't use a portable. I dig bareback.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I dig bareback.
    no AYO
    but i do own one of those vestax jammies. Its cool to listen to around the house or when im travelin but i never take it digging with me. I like surprising myself when i get home from the dig. my vestax though was all fucked up until recently. I had to solder a part of the tonearm casue it was only playing on the right channel, and I put a new stylus on it. Now it sounds decent.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I dig bareback.
    I like surprising myself when i get home from the dig.

Thank you, I was trying to say this in a thread a few weeks back and fools didn't get it. I don't feel like you can truly hear and get the feel of the record just by listening quickly on a portable. I had one but I kept finding that I was dismissing records that I later listened to and really liked.

• Oh and you know its gonna get a pimp job. Camo maybe, or spray can stencil ...an ode to Banksy perhaps.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I do always feel like I would grab an old
    Fisher Price battery operated joint for cheap,
    to take on thrift store road trips, to weed out
    the Waxidermic from the Waxidoesn't.

Just please don't be one of those dudes rolling
    up and wanting to play the wall joints on some
    plastic needle bullshit...dudes understandably
    don't want their NM $300 joints being touched
    by those things for even a second.

• Just please don't be one of those dudes rolling

Oh Heeeeeeeeeell no, and there will be none of this shit either.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The 'Ol Columbia GP-3, but i barely take it around with me any more.
    It was cool when I was looking for breaks, but since I don't really
    care so much about that stuff these days it stays home most of the time.
    I'll have to agree that it can be quite hard to hear what record really sounds
    like on a portable.
    Most good shops have listening stations now anyways.
    I mostly use it now when I'm in the kitchen doing the dishes.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    ive got one of these on stand by. ain't needed to use it yet as my mate always takes his vestax.

• I??m sort of in the market for one, but I think I??d like to get a good one that doen??t fuck up the records (i??ll be using it a lot), any recommendations? I heard a lot of crap about the vestax ones, but they don??t look bad.

Any help is appreciated.

- J

• I??m sort of in the market for one, but I think I??d like to get a good one that doen??t fuck up the records (i??ll be using it a lot), any recommendations? I heard a lot of crap about the vestax ones, but they don??t look bad.

Any help is appreciated.

- J

The only problem I have with the Vestax is occasionally the ON/OFF switch gets switched to ON as it can easily get caught when removing it in and out of a bag so loses points for bad design in that respect (killed batteries about 3 times now doing that).Could be argued it's too bulky as well. Other than that it does the job fine.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I got a fisher price and a real old national brand portable in mint condition at a pawnshop real cheap a few years back.
    Kept the fisher price and flipped the national for a buck fifty. I never bother taking it digging.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Just please don't be one of those dudes rolling

Oh Heeeeeeeeeell no, and there will be none of this shit either.

where's that Sayer graemlin?

Any help is appreciated.

- J

The only problem I have with the Vestax is occasionally the ON/OFF switch gets switched to ON as it can easily get caught when removing it in and out of a bag so loses points for bad design in that respect (killed batteries about 3 times now doing that).Could be argued it's too bulky as well. Other than that it does the job fine.

Ok, thanks. What??s the regular price for it? Found one on eBay for 99 pounds (I??m in the UK right now)..

- J

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I??m sort of in the market for one, but I think I??d like to get a good one that doen??t fuck up the records (i??ll be using it a lot), any recommendations? I heard a lot of crap about the vestax ones, but they don??t look bad.

Any help is appreciated.

- J

i never have that problem as i always use yours!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I dig bareback.
    I like surprising myself when i get home from the dig.

Same here, I got a Vestax as a gift but have only used it at home AFTER I come back from looking. As always, I like taking chances and while having the portable would eliminate me wasting money on crap, I don't mind too much if it's 25 cents a 45, or a dollar for an album.

EDIT:
    In the meantime, I am still looking for a Close-N-Play, my first record player:

• i'v seen this video more than a few times. is it my monitor or does the king wear no "pants"?

• 2 sound burgers (one for the road and the other for my girl's crib)
    1 columbia GP-3
    1 Fisher Price #820
    1 phonorgan

Any help is appreciated.

- J

Ok, thanks. What??s the regular price for it? Found one on eBay for 99 pounds (I??m in the UK right now)..

- J

Me too and that's the price I paid for mine several years ago. You can obviously get them far cheaper from the US but P&P and import duty probably means it's just as cheap to buy in the UK.

• santa did me a solid this year and got me a Numark. i likes. i'm using it more for fieldwork/research on the oral history tip than for digging. i have an old fisher price that warbles like a muh, only good after enough beer that it does not offend the ear. I"m in the market for a good Big Bird cause my little niece is getting to be that age

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Good ol' GP3!!

3 different ones.

www.myspace.com/breakbeatraer

peace.

• Good ol' GP3!! .

no sound burger for GP3 trade in order Bev????

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    My first portable was a Fisher Price that I still rock around the house. I have a Soundburger in the trunk of my car for store shopping.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I just did a but it now on a Fisher Price #820 with and extra needle for about 70 USD.

So what are you digging with, show us your baby.

I have a 70's Panasonic model.. I can't find a pic of one online but they are pretty common to see at record shows. I bought it at a garage sale after being fairly disgusted with the Vestax Handi-Trax.. my thought on buying the Handi-trax first was.. it's new.. it will sound better and be easier to use than a 70's model used portable.. wrong.. it's big, it's clunky, it's poorly designed.. and it doesn't sound any better than the older portables I've used. And as mentioned, it's real easy to forget to turn it off or have it turn itself on because of the switch design.

The numark portable fits in a record bag and is cheaper. I'd reccomend a used one though, the Panasonics models are really nice and portable and sound solid esp thru the headphone jack.

If you are a baller, you might want to save up for the ultimate portable, the Soundburger.. hmmmmm Soundburger.

This page has some chunky but funky looking 70's models

http://www.jackbergsales.com/electronics/electronics-record-players.htm

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I always see this and look at the croc picture in the upper left and wonder if they ever made one that looked like that. Cause if they did, I'd totally dig with a portable crocodile in my arm.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Anybody have that Sony portable that looks like a soundburger
    with a linnear tracking tone-arm?
    I always wondered how well those worked.

• Anybody have that Sony portable that looks like a soundburger
    with a linnear tracking tone-arm?
    I always wondered how well those worked.

Ditto.......And OH BTW Raj..Disregard that question.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

reminds me of a party we rocked at a friends Bday.
    mind you we used the numarks cause the motor is more powerful (good to use those heavy 45 adapters) and they are squire so ya can put them in the battle style setup.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    ive got one of these on stand by. ain't needed to use it yet as my mate always takes his vestax.

this machine is