How do I rip audio from a video file?

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I figure these days it's much easier than holding my boombox up to the TV speakers.Plaese to help.Thank you.Herm

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Oh yeah, PC.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Depends on a few factors, but I'm to assume that you're wanting to record from a video file that's on your PC? If you play the file and you can hear audio, you're on your way.

If you have an audio program on your PC that records, then you're half way there. If not, you can use a freeware program like Audacity:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

On the bottom right of your screen, you should see a speaker icon. Right click that, and you should have an "Open Volume Controls" option. Click that. Then go to Options > Properties. Choose the "Recording" option, since that's what you'll be doing. This will be useful when you want to record. The main thing, if you are able to control what you can hear on your PC (i.e. Microphone, Line In, CD), then you can do this.

Basically, play the file and then run Audacity or whatever program you may be using. If you see that the levels are being registered, then you're able to record. If not, play around with the "Audio Properties" so that you are recording, and only recording, any sound that's "internal". If everything looks good, record a few seconds. Take a listen to the file, and if it sounds good, then you can start to record what you want to record.

When you do, make sure that the audio level is somewhere in the middle, you can peak it later. Also, when you're recording, don't move your browser, close windows, or do anything else on your PC. If each task/command has a sound, you will hear all of that too in your recording. Let your program record and do what it has to do.

I do know there are programs out there that can extract audio from various video files, be it freeware or shareware, but I'd rather have a more hands-on approach. Plus, I would be editing and tweaking levels anyway, so I avoid using them.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Depends on a few factors, but I'm to assume that you're wanting to record from a video file that's on your PC? If you play the file and you can hear audio, you're on your way.

If you have an audio program on your PC that records, then you're half way there. If not, you can use a freeware program like Audacity:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

On the bottom right of your screen, you should see a speaker icon. Right click that, and you should have an "Open Volume Controls" option. Click that. Then go to Options > Properties. Choose the "Recording" option, since that's what you'll be doing. This will be useful when you want to record. The main thing, if you are able to control what you can hear on your PC (i.e. Microphone, Line In, CD), then you can do this.

Basically, play the file and then run Audacity or whatever program you may be using. If you see that the levels are being registered, then you're able to record. If not, play around with the "Audio Properties" so that you are recording, and only recording, any sound that's "internal". If everything looks good, record a few seconds. Take a listen to the file, and if it sounds good, then you can start to record what you want to record.

When you do, make sure that the audio level is somewhere in the middle, you can peak it later. Also, when you're recording, don't move your browser, close windows, or do anything else on your PC. If each task/command has a sound, you will hear all of that too in your recording. Let your program record and do what it has to do.

I do know there are programs out there that can extract audio from various video files, be it freeware or shareware, but I'd rather have a more hands-on approach. Plus, I would be editing and tweaking levels anyway, so I avoid using them.

You're a genius! Thanks!!!

Herm

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Assuming you have the video on your computer.....try using VLC.

A lot can be accomplished with the streaming/export wizard under file menu.

I'm not sure if it's for mac only but it does everything including demuxing video/audio.

Not to mention I use VLC with success every time quicktime fails me. It even plays MKV format. Ridiculous.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

You're a genius! Thanks!!!

Herm

You should be albe to select which sorce you record from that would eliminate those computer sounds, or you can simply turn them off.

Alternativly you could use this ere program.

Vdub

It's freeware, and its a pretty powerfull video editing program.
    Just load up the vidoe file. Go to FILE and select SAVE WAV. You can then save the audio from your video file as a wav. done.