Literacy through HipHop

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

What I was thinking. Just like you wouldn't pull in at-risk white students with metal, or whatever music they like the most.
    I think the music they like the most is rap. But if a kid is into metal and you can use it as a teaching tool go for it.

As for using Harrison and Dylan that would have been like my teachers using Irving Berlin. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I use my love of hip-hop to connect to students and build relationships, this helps foster a mutual respect and understanding.

Yep, my exact tact for closing the distance between me and my students. I list music production and record collection as personal interests of mine when I introduce myself to students on the first day of class. Part of the deal is to present myself as "human" instead of some instructing automaton. Once you connect, then you can impact (and get real when you need to)!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I think this program is trying to build on kids' prior knowledge and that is a good thing. We know that kids need to be engaged and we know that kids learn better when they can connect to the material. I would like to do something like this, but of course whatever I chose to cover would automatically be deemed "uncool" by my teenagers. We do know that our "at-risk" students do not always learn like our more privileged students, for many reasons- home environment, income, lack of experiences crucial to understanding subject matter, etc. Is hip-hop the answer? I don't know.

I use my love of hip-hop to connect to students and build relationships, this helps foster a mutual respect and understanding.

Thank you, what I was trying to say. The LTHH program, which I know only what is on the web site, is not for teens. 9-12.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Can you cite some specific examples of "current mainstream gangster hip hop" that are explicitly against education or literacy?

No.
    Reason one, I'd have to listen to it. Reason two, I never said that.[/b]

you said

I think hip hop has an anti-learning image.

I'm wondering where you got that idea from. especially considering that you've never listened to it.

I said

You said

Can you cite some specific examples of "current mainstream gangster hip hop" that are explicitly against education or literacy?

I said

No.
    Reason one, I'd have to listen to it. Reason two, I never said that.[/b]

You said

I'm wondering where you got that idea from. especially considering that you've never listened to it.

I tried to explain myself before by writing this:

I will try to clarify.

Yes, some poor children come from households where education is not held in high regard. Parents may feel threatened by their children's learning. They may feel they did fine without doing well at school so why should their kid. What is scarier to me is parents who come dressed in gang colors to enroll their kid, who they have dressed in gang colors, in kindergarten.

What I have not witnessed, but have heard about, happens in the middle and high school ages when children start to search for identity. This, as I understand it, is a real problem amongst Black teens. Teens feel pressure to act more "Black". This pressure includes not doing well in class.

Current mainstream gangster hip hop is the main soundtrack for what I am talking about.

I have said image and soundtrack. Fortunately I don't have to listen to it to know what kids (and some of their parents) are listening to or its image.

I get the feeling that you do listen to and enjoy current mainstream gangster hip hop (sorry if I sound I am). Since you listen to it perhaps you can answer your question of examples of any that is explicitly against education or literacy.

• I don't think anyone is trying to replace traditional methods, but in our case, what is wrong with drawing kids to an afterschool program to engage in artforms they enjoy? Being that hip-hop is a form, what's wrong with promoting literacy in poetry writing excersises.

Another aspect is teaching kids to think critically about the lyrics of the music they enjoy. A lot of the kids memorize the words without an understanding of the meaning. That's huge.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    how do you account for well educated individuals who also base their image and soundtrack on hip hop?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    my 0.000000000000000000000001 cents

my last gf had a 7 year old son that didn't want to learn how to read
    he was bright,very articulate and logical/fast with a large vocab and serious powers of reasioning and could understand abstract concepts.

but he was falling way behind all the other kids because he was a stubborn little dude
    He simply didn't want to learn like all the other kids at that point in his life.
    hmmmmmmmm
    so i hooked up holmes with comic books -spiderman, batman etc and spent some time
    with him.
    within a week he was owning it
    within 3 months he was pulling an "A" in english
    so my maxim is "by any means necessary" hip hop,graffitti,comic books ,the back of a cereal box at breakfast .. words are everywhere
    also i made my girl label all the stuff in her crib with lil sticky notes
    light switch'
    mirror
    bookshelf
    stereo
    etc etc

the school wanted to put him in special ed and leave him back a grade
    it would seem that they are quick to label and slow kids down in the system

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    my 0.000000000000000000000001 cents

my last gf had a 7 year old son that didn't want to learn how to read
    he was bright,very articulate and logical/fast with a large vocab and serious powers of reasioning and could understand abstract concepts.

but he was falling way behind all the other kids because he was a stubborn little dude
    He simply didn't want to learn like all the other kids at that point in his life.
    hmmmmmmmm
    so i hooked up holmes with comic books -spiderman, batman etc and spent some time
    with him.
    within a week he was owning it
    within 3 months he was pulling an "A" in english
    so my maxim is "by any means necessary" hip hop,graffitti,comic books ,the back of a cereal box at breakfast .. words are everywhere
    also i made my girl label all the stuff in her crib with lil sticky notes
    light switch'
    mirror
    bookshelf
    stereo
    etc etc

the school wanted to put him in special ed and leave him back a grade
    it would seem that they are quick to label and slow kids down in the system

Good for you, mate. Exactly - whatever it takes.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    A nice idea. I might try to get involved. At least, i'll be sure to drink my off at the bar on thursday.

see you there

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    These types of interventions reak of paternalism and condescension in my view.

so my maxim is "by any means necessary" hip hop,graffitti,comic books ,the back of a cereal box at breakfast ..
    This is what I am talking about.

• How about E-40's brother (and Click member) D-Shot and Baby Hip-Hop, "the world's first educational hip-hop doll"?

http://www.babyhiphop.net/

how do you account for well educated individuals who also base their image and soundtrack on hip hop?

Since I have said nothing that would suggest that there are not, or could not be, such individuals I don't see why I need to account.

pmrc did a positive post about a program he is getting involved in. I said I thought it sounded like a good program. I give him props for doing something positive.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• Noz you know he's right. For example: I went to school with a guy that knew the cats from Original Flavor. Chubby Chub once caught him studying and asked: "n*gga, you read??"

I do and I explained why. You don't and think I am wrong. I'm fine with that.

Post deleted by edpowers

• Is the doll well-spoken ?

It's called "Baby Hip-Hop," not "Baby Faux_Rillz."*

* Please say the Baby.

Is the doll well-spoken ?

It's called "Baby Hip-Hop,"

oh yea.....duh

i did a little quick research ...dudes are trying to do something positive so i'll leave it alone

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Is the doll well-spoken ?

It's called "Baby Hip-Hop," not "Baby Faux_Rillz."*

* Please say the Baby.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Apparently, Noz stopped paying attention to hip-hop after "You Must Learn."

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

this is a point where i want to contend something

granted the website reaks of spicandspan aid stuff but i will not judge until i participate myself

Basically from what you are sending my efforts in Peru (aftyerschool community center for shantytown kids) could be viewed in the same way

And i amsayingthis not in a personal defense/justification way but just to bring in a concept

People always ask about the sustainability of our project (they are still dependent on you for the $$$) even though the Peruvian NGO is a local initiative or other sorts of questions such as what does this really do to enhance the future of these kids (does it provide employement..is it just a nusery ride until they become adults or move to another shantytown

this brings in the releveance of education based projects and communal support projects in general..

and i answer this

Its the best we can do for now and it yields unqualifiable results

just like the reading through comicbooks story

if you boil it down simply a couple of kids will have fun with an MC and DJ and be encouraged to read and write..they will benefit from the socialization aspects of the experience plus the educational aspects and this will be a positive and motivating force in their life or if anything a positive experience

Its a good look and not overarchingly orchestarted such as reasons you could use to criticize USAID dev projects

I agree black litterature could also be good but this is "fun and exciting" for the kids

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think the other thing to note is that LTHH is not meant to REPLACE curriculum in schools but rather, supplement. Insofar as that may be true, it's not that people are saying, "let's abandon the basics of elementary school education and replace it with hip-hop." The latter WOULD BE condescending. I think LTHH is trying to find a more innovative way of reaching children.

As has been well-noted: whatever it takes.

this is a point where i want to contend something

granted the website reaks of spicandspan aid stuff but i will not judge until i participate myself

Basically from what you are sending my efforts in Peru (aftyerschool community center for shantytown kids) could be viewed in the same way

And i amsayingthis not in a personal defense/justification way but just to bring in a concept

People always ask about the sustainability of our project (they are still dependent on you for the $$$) even though the Peruvian NGO is a local initiative or other sorts of questions such as what does this really do to enhance the future of these kids (does it provide employement..is it just a nusery ride until they become adults or move to another shantytown

this brings in the releveance of education based projects and communal support projects in general..

and i answer this

Its the best we can do for now and it yields unqualifiable results

just like the reading through comicbooks story

if you boil it down simply a couple of kids will have fun with an MC and DJ and be encouraged to read and write..they will benefit from the socialization aspects of the experience plus the educational aspects and this will be a positive and motivating force in their life or if anything a positive experience

Its a good look and not overarchingly orchestarted such as reasons you could use to criticize USAID dev projects

I agree black litterature could also be good but this is "fun and exciting" for the kids

Please let us know about your experience. Where are you doing this?

By the way I think that hip hop lyrics are literature.

From the web site I see some positive things that people are overlooking. First it is for 9-12 before kids are completely jaded. Second, it does not ask that the teacher be cool or act cool. It asks for cool people like pmrc to volunteer to help the teacher get the curriculum across. I know from taking books to 4th graders that even though I am older and more disconnected than their teachers they think I am way cool.

• It's great to use hip-hop in the classroom but I am suspicious of any "program" that wishes to "incorporate" "alternate curriculae" in order to "help" "disadvantaged" children.

Sounds like ebonics to me.

It's great to use hip-hop in the classroom but I am suspicious of any "program" that wishes to "incorporate" "alternate curriculae" in order to "help" "disadvantaged" children.

Sounds like ebonics to me.

Program. Incorporate. alternate curriculae. help. disadvantaged.

I went to school in Montgomery County MD in the 60s and 70s. One of the richest school districts in the country. I'll tell you a dirty secret. Even though we were not disadvantaged our school district "incorporated" all kinds of "programs" and "alternate curriculae" in order to "help" the kids who were not being reached by the "traditional" method.

The reason some schools and kids are "disadvantaged" is because some people are suspicious of giving them the advantages that they had.

It's great to use hip-hop in the classroom but I am suspicious of any "program" that wishes to "incorporate" "alternate curriculae" in order to "help" "disadvantaged" children.

But rappenin' is what's happenin'!

Also: if hip-hop improves literacy, then some of these little dudes need to listen to more rap.

Also: if hip-hop improves literacy, then some of these little dudes need to listen to more rap.

Thats what I am saying. The image of hip hop can be anti-learning. But most mcs have a great command of the language. Think of that movie about freestyling. Those cats are studying the dictionary.

I would start by showing that movie.