edited April 2016 in Music Talk
1937-2007

Comments

• source?

• Peace and love to her.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    source?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Journey in Satchidananda is one of my fav records of all time.

Damn....I regret missing her performance at UCLA last year....RIP.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Rest in Peace...

to a mad unique voice in spiritual jazz..I couldn't listen to any Jazz organist on the everyday the way I could listened to her..

much respect..

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

same

damn

• Dudes unless somebody can provide me a single source for this I'm not believing it because I'm not finding one. Anywhere.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Dudes unless somebody can provide me a single source for this I'm not believing it because I'm not finding one. Anywhere.

X10000000000

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Damn...if its true, RIP. Just heard her interviewed on the radio last month. She was a beautiful artist/musician.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Here's to hoping this isn't true.

• source?

• source?

this was reported on waxidermy, quickly followed by a retraction, saying her promotor died.

http://www.waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6929

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

given that mrs coltrane appears to be in fact alive, i suggest we turn this thread into a Journey to Satchindananda appreciation thread.

that record really changed my whole appreciation towards jazz music.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    her nephew, flying lotus, has now posted it as a myspace bulletin,
    so im guessing its true. too bad, she made some of my favourite music, ever.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I don't have Journey in Satchidananda but I do own World Galaxy and dig it very much. I guess it's time to zone out for about an hour or so.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I Likes

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    so im guessing its true. too bad, she made some of my favourite music, ever.

http://www.myspace.com/flyinglotus

His album was one of my favorites last year, and I wasn't aware he had any Coltrane connection.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

I love this album.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Satchidananda is the joint..but Pharoah is Pharoah and he's pretty dominant.

My favorite Alice joint overall is probably Universal Conciousness, her playing is and the string arrangements......

• Related obit:

Local Jazz and Punk Promoter Dies

By Durelle Ali, Special to the Planet

Wesley K. Robinson died on Dec. 27 at the age of 80. Wes was a key figure in the East Bay arts scene over the past 35 years for his promotion of music and theater events. Wes was renowned for focusing on the freshness and originality of the music and passion of its artists rather than the commercial appeal.
    Wes was born in Port Arthur Texas, and came with his mother to Alameda at the beginning of the Depression. He was a star basketball player at Alameda High, and went on to play for UCLA under the Wooden era, where he was the sole black player on an otherwise all-white basketball team.

Wes will be most remembered for his contribution to the Bay Area music scene, promoting events and musicians in the jazz, punk and metal music genres. He started promoting music after returning from New York, where he was involved in a jazz cafe and met many influential jazz musicians. Wes often told stories about being in New York and starting a coffee house there. This was when John Coltrane had broken through but was going through a big transition, playing a free style that was very controversial. Pharoah Saunders was playing with ???Trane, and Wes suggested that he call himself Pharoah, as his real name was Farrell, and people pronounced it like that anyway.

Returning home from New York, Wes started a ???speakeasy??? in a loft in downtown Oakland that, like its New York counterparts quickly ran afoul of the city officials. Wes then went on to host jazz events in many venues, including the Jazz Symposium, which ran for several years and featured well-known musicians such as Sonny Simmons and Alice Coltrane. As jazz???s popularity grew during the ???70s, Wes managed a popular band, the Hoodoo, and produced the UC Berkeley Jazz Festival for two years, while studying for a master???s degree there.

In the early ???70s, Wes produced and directed plays in the East Bay, including Slaveship by Leroi Jones, Edward Albee???s Death of Bessie Smith, and What Have You Done for Me Lately.

Frustrated by the increasing commerciality of jazz, in 1975 Wes??? interests moved on to the punk music scene which was just starting in the Bay Area. Searching for a venue to produce regular shows, Wes happened upon Ruthie???s Inn, a small club in Berkeley, that became instrumental in supporting the East Bay punk scene and eventually spawned a thriving thrash/metal scene from 1983-1987. Many bands played their first gigs at this club, which helped pave the way and supported an incredibly vibrant community of social misfits and serious musicians who had something to say???a great venue that has established itself in the annals of punk and metal history.

Wes was responsible for providing this venerable niteclub to the second wave of new and established punk bands from Bad Brains, Dead Kennedy???s, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, Flipper, MDC and DOA to Code of Honor, Verbal Abuse, Fang, Special Forces, DRI and many others. Later on, this eventually segued into a weekly ritual that showcased such seminal thrash/metal bands as Metallica, Slayer, and Exodus. At the time of his death, Wes was working on a documentary called ???Remembering Ruthie???s Inn??? (to be completed by a dedicated and devoted group of volunteers).

Wes was preceded in death by his parents, Wesley Sr. and Effie Robinson, sister Durell, and great-grandson Julian Donnelly. Wes leaves to cherish his memory his four children, Durelle Ali (Stan) of Berkeley, Michael Robinson (Reggie) and Amiri Robinson (Anita) of New York, and Naima Robinson (Armon) of Richmond; grandchildren Amanda Donnelly, Tariq Ali (Lisa), and Talia and Amira Brown; great-grandchildren Pilar Donnelly and Lauren Donnelly-Board; former wives Mira Talbott-Pope and Maj-Britt Mobrand; cousins Donald Julian, and Gregory, Dennis and Geoffrey Pete; friends; and his huge family in the East Bay and San Francisco punk and metal music community.

Wes will be cremated at the Chapel of the Chimes in Oakland. A memorial service, to which all are invited, will be held on Saturday, Jan. 13, 3 p.m., at Geoffrey???s Inner Circle, 410 14th St. in Oakland. For more information, please call 384-4988.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    ?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    so im guessing its true.
    What does the bulletin say?

• r.i.p

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Related obit:

Local Jazz and Punk Promoter Dies

Wesley K. Robinson died on Dec. 27 at the age of 80.

OK THIS GUY IS THAT DUDE!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this thread is bullshit.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    this thread is bullshit.

X1000

this needs to be deleted or at least change the name of the thread!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    this thread is bullshit.

X1000

this needs to be deleted or at least change the name of the thread!

Sayin'. I'm no nearer knowing whether or not Alice Coltrane really has died than I was when I opened this thread this morning.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    fuck this is starting to sound like it might be true. she played here in Sept. with Charlie Haden, Ravi, and Roy Haynes on what would've been John's 80th birthday. they did an interview the day before the concert that was free to the public, and she really just blew me away with what a gentle and accepting spirit she had. She seemed like one of those people that was totally unshakeable and just completely at peace with life and everything around her. i can't put into words the impact it had on me. not to mention her incredible skills as a composer and musician...she really was incredible.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=1288

Jazz World Mourns Michael Brecker and Alice Coltrane

by Paul Cashmere - January 14 2007

It has been a sad weekend for the jazz world with the death of two prominent musicians. Alice Coltrane and Michael Brecker both died this weekend.

Born Alice McLeod in 1937, she met and married John Coltrane, credited as the creator of avant-garde music. Alice played with John's band until his death in 1967.

Her instruments of choice were piano, harp and Wurlitzer organ.

Alice's most recent albums were recorded for the Verve label.

Michael Brecker had been suffering from the pre-leukemic disease MDS. He was diagnosed in 2005. In May 2006, he underwent an experimental stem cell operation that did not go as well as hoped. Doctor's had been searching for a suitable bone marrow match for Brecker over the past year but were unable to find the right match.

Born in Philadelphia in 1949, Brecker recorded his own albums with his bands Horace Silver and the Brecker Brothers (with brother Randy).

He was also a well-known session musican appearing on albums by Paul Simon, James Taylor and Yoko Ono.